The end of analog

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

The end of analog

By now we surely have come to the end of analog TV. Right?

When I connect the cable directly to the antenna input of my TV, all I can get is the Aquarium Channel on 70.

Why is it then when I go to the Rogers website and select my city's channels available without a digital box, I see this?

18 CTV News Channel
20 NBC Buffalo (WGRZ)
21 PBS Erie (WQLN)
22 Sportsnet Ontario
23 The Weather Network
25 YTV (East)
27 W Network (East)
28 FOX Buffalo (WUTV)
62 Lobby Watch Channel
70 APTN (Aboriginal Peoples Television Network)
95 The Shopping Channel (tSc)
96 VisionTV

I don't get any of those channels without a box. Isn't that false advertising?

***Edited Labels***

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Re: The end of analog

Hello, @OLDYELLR

Thank you for your post. I was exploring the website to understand your query and I believe you are referring the drop down which says "Channels available without a digital box" which necessarily implies a Digital Adapter is required as the next drop down is listed as "Channels available with a Digital Adapter", hope this helps.

Thank you for understanding!

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes. There are dropdowns as below.  Because there is also one for "Channels available with a Digital Adapter", one ould assume that "Channels available without a digital box" means analog, i.e., straight from the cable to the TV antenna input, like it has been for decades.

Channels available with a High-Definition (HD) Box

Submit
Channels available with a Standard Definition (SD) Box

Submit
Channels available without a digital box

Submit

Channels available with a Digital Adapter

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hi @OLDYELLR

There are still some areas in progress of being migrated from Analog to Digital which is why that dropdown still exists. I confirmed this with our second level support as well. Hope that clarifies. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Okay, I read on another forum that someone in Toronto was still getting a few analog channels and when I change my city to Toronto I see a whole lot of them listed for "without a digital box".

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So long analogue. Not sure who still receives analog cable but if u havent made the switch yet i feel sorry for you. Make the switch. Step out of the 80's

I'm a Senior Advisor

Apparently some areas still have some analog available.  But this brings up another question. Does Rogers still offer digital adapters to people?

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=DTA_ORDER&_nfls=true&setLanguage=en&_f...

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Pauly wrote:
So long analogue. Not sure who still receives analog cable but if u havent made the switch yet i feel sorry for you. Make the switch. Step out of the 80's

Don't feel sorry for them.  At least in the 80's you could pretty much depend on the simplicity of turning on the TV, getting the channels you paid for. Pop in a VCR cassette and rely on getting a full recording of the prgram you wanted, watch it/delete itor keep it fotever.

No need to find work arounds, no worries of having all you recordings deleted and your TV didn't "revoot in the middle of a show you were watching.  Watching tv was a simple stress free activity.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@jays77

Exactly! What would be even nicer since we are no longer in the 80s as suggested by @Pauly would be for Rogers to give customers the option of an HD Digital Adapter. These are provided by American cable companies like Comcast, yet no consideration has been given by Rogers to making the viewer experience better with one of these devices. I suspect there is just not enough profit in it for Rogers to offer one of these devices and it would reduce the incentive to renting or purchasing a more expensve HD Cable Box. 

I've Been Here Awhile

I knew the change to digital would affect me sooner than later. I am retired, on a fixed income and live alone. I have a digital box on the tv in my family room for most of my viewing. I have a small tv in the kitchen for the morning and dinner time news. I just lost those channels today. My parents are also retired and are quite distressed...not by the changes...but by the fact that there is yet another fee to have the "kitchen countertop" tv functional (another adapter). How I wish there was a way to prove that a one individual household can only watch one tv at a time!!! Maybe this is something Rogers can monitor and then charge for multiple outlet usage!?