Temporary Cable strung for 9 months!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Temporary Cable strung for 9 months!

I have had a temporary cable line strung across my entire front lawn and driveway to a neighbour's house for 9 months and no one at Rogers can tell me when it will be gone. We were asked in September if they could temporarily string it across our property for 6-8 weeks, they totally mislead us. Nothing was done, I've called several times first was told it didn't get done because of city permits and no locate. Well a locate was done shortly after the line went up, nothing was done. Then I was told the ground was frozen, give me a break the ground didn't freeze until December. I called again in early April and someone came out to tell me 2-3 weeks, it's been over a month, nothing. The line was low hanging and I got tangled up in while cutting the grass, lucky for Rogers I didn't get injured. The front on the box was not secure and it fell off several times exposing all the wires, eventually the temporary cable became severed from jamming the front off the box on. They came out again to fix that and I was told a rush would be put on it, really!! I called again today there's a work order in the neighbours name but because of privacy they can't tell me when this might get buried! Really? I'm the one looking at this stupid cable for 9 months, it's across my property and they can't tell me anything, really??? Apparently I can call everyday but it won't mean a thing because it doesn't affect me but I have to look at the stupid thing everyday, my neighbour doesn't care because he gets service and the cable isnt across his property. So I was told today 6-8 weeks and I asked from when, today, a month ago, when should I start counting 6-8 weeks, should I assume September? Should assume they'll dig up my lawn in the middle of summer so that my grass will look terrible, nobody can tell me anything, so frustrated with Rogers. Nothing is ever easy with them, my bills were wrong for months, prices I was quoted never showed I always paid more. Now I got notices that cable and Internet services are increasing, I'm so glad the service justifies the prices we pay, heaven forbid Rogers is ever inconvenienced the way the customers are.

***Edited Labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Temporary Cable strung for 9 months!

@Rick60 You must have a lot of patience. If it were my lawn and driveway, It would have got accidentally damaged after the first opportunity Rogers had to replace it and didn't. That's inexcusable.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Are you a Rogers customer .... kind of ambiguous in your post ?   

If you have granted them permission  then revoke it in writing  and give them a time frame .  And then when time is up cut the cable where it enters and leaves your property ...check with your lawyer first of course . Why should you have to put yourself at risk for their laziness ?

I'm a Senior Advisor

It is causing problems for you in the management of your home and yard - revoke you permission, as suggested - unless it is running on municipal property or sidewalk, then it would be the municipalities town and the permission actually isn't yours to give - if they are suggesting permits it may be town, so bring the town into the discussion.

Otherwise, oops, you get tangled up again, drag it over the the neighbour and this time do not give them permission to run it over your property - it is your property after all, and you have the right to revoke your permission.  Now if it is running over municipal property (our front lawn, 3 feet belongs to town, call the town, it is their property technically not yours, and get them involved.

Insane situation,  you are not the first to report issues on burying cable orders.

Also escalate right up to the office of the president, hit the local media - I wouldn't put up with it.

Bruce

Hello, @Rick60

Thank you for joining and posting your concern in the Rogers Community Forums. At times the temporary cable situation can become bothersome, I appreciate your patience throughout the ordeal. Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps so that we can dive into your account and take the next step to expedite. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Regards,

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is a separate cable run department... i have talked to them myself (when dealing with a Bury issue).
BUT.. i was the one on the ticket, etc... hard when its the neighbor.

Any temp line run, should be run up HIGH enough that it doesn't impede anything, even if run over someone elses property.  Should go UP high enough to a boulivard tree.. across a driveway or two, etc till it gets to the house it needs to go up. 
Any work done, cable run change, etc.. should all and only be done across the Easement.
Unfortunately, there is nothing YOU can do to revoke them doing the work there. 

As mentioned, the first part of your yard, actually belongs to the town.  
I think its actually closer to 5 ft?  Generally its about 3 ft of grass, then the sidewalk width.  If you have no sidewalk, its still that distance as if there was one.

I've Been Around

We are in the same situation.  We have been waiting for our temporary cable to be buried since September 2016 as well.   I have bugged countless times.  Last time was told it would be done in 2-4 weeks...3 weeks ago.  Finally, the utilities locates have been done this week.  I will be bugging them again as soon as the status changes to "All Permits / Locates Received" on the Rogers Outdoor Cable page.  Good Luck.  I hope we both get the job done asap.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, if yours was strung in Sept.. it wasnt going to get buried before the spring at earliest 😞
Takes time for the LOCATE.. then get them out afterwards, etc.

By then.. its too cold, etc..  

If the locate has been done.. hopefully they should move it along a little quicker now.

There IS a separate cable bury department, i have talked to them.  If you need to, try and escalate to talk to them.

As well, just from my personal experience.. document everything that you can.
If you know how, what the ORIGINAL cable (pre bury) looks like, where connected, etc.

When the do the bury, it wont be the TEMP line, it will be another NEW line underneath.
But just to ensure that the job IS done properly.

We were having issues.. temp line MOSTLY fixed them (ended up being a whole street issue where maintenance was involved).   Same thing, took FOREVER to get the bury done (ended up NOT having the order done in the first place, etc).  Time comes and the temp cable is GONE... but our problem was mostly back? 
Luckily i documented what was all original.  And they had just RE attached the ORIGINAL cable.  (I could get into the box on the street, and saw it was still attached to the neighbors one with a zip, rusted end, etc)
Now.. not sure about all areas.. but often these buries are CONTRACTED out to 3rd party.  
Called back up.. (to the bury department), and said that they just replaced the old line.  Guy was like "Maybe they just did a good job, do it right and the grass wont even look disturbed, etc".  I was like NO WAY.  So he sent out a rogers senior maintenance guy.. and a manager from the 3rd party bury company.  They confirmed that YUP, was just the original which was re attached.   BUT.. the worker from the 3rd party company, had submitted the work order to rogers... 1.5 hours labour, and 150ft of cable buried (also considering, the box is infront of my house.. so you talking.. 60ft max?).   Lets just say, the manager said that the worker wouldnt be working for them much longer 😛
Fixed 2 days later.

I've Been Around

Good day,

This morning I discovered a technician running a cable from the box on the end of our property to our neighbour's house. There is an easement on the front right corner of the property for this. I am understanding of this, and there has been temporary lines ran in the past.

The temporary line that was run today goes directly through my private tree (damaging it too), onto another tree that's right in front of my front door, and then ran from above my front door to my neighbour's property. All previous temporary lines have never been in our property.

I told the technician this morning not to do it and he told me he will install where he wants to. I tried calling Rogers technical support and they told me that there's nothing they can do either. I asked to speak to a Supervisor and was told there is none.

Ultimately, it is within my right to cut and remove the line that is on my property.

Reasoning for posting is to see if anyone else has had similiar issues or if there is anything else I can do.

Hi @rmrfbunny,

Welcome to the Community Forums, and thanks for sharing your experience with us.  

Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps and we can have this looked into. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Regards,

RogersShaun