TV shows running over the hour

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: TV shows running over the hour

What is with the show descriptions lately?  Seems someone at Rogers thinks they need to provde a crtique of the show, instead of just providing the basic show information. They no longer put basic stuff like the year the movie was released, but add silly short review.  Look at any movie playing on any of the nework channels. 

Example: Independence Day " Blockbuster about an army of alien spaceships attacking Earth and the heroes who try to pulverize them. Spectacular., Oscar-winning specail effects.  Will Smith and Bill Pullman play a fighter and.  Sci-Fi [TV-14] D,V

The release date used to be the first thing posted, now it's not even provided. Instead we get someones silly critique.

I've Been Here Awhile

I agree with JWBF.  Rogers provides me the service.  They should be contacting the broadcasters to get it sorted out.  If it's a ploy of some kind, it won't do anything but give me another reason to drop Rogers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can go right ahead and switch, but the one minute over on those stations will be on every carrier and you will have it there as well. Just a warning.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers, while they can add their own content to the guide, they are not the one who creates the content.
There are companies out there that provide the guide/listing to carriers, as well as to devices like dvrs, capture cards for pc's, etc.

Rogers has changed the company that they use for their guide. They are aware of the date issue and are working to get that corrected.
(This guide change seems to compensate for the 1min over on some channels now though)

I Plan to Stick Around

Maybe they're trying to stick it to PVR owners for skipping through commercials? Seriously makes me wonder.  Hart to blame them.

I'm NOT a Rogers employee; I was a satisfied customer, but not anymore.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Quite possibly.
I read one site which brought up they believed it was the channels on purpose doing it to force pvr recorders to record the next block too. Hoping they would watch a bit of that show and get hooked on it.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@TrueNorth10 wrote:

Maybe they're trying to stick it to PVR owners for skipping through commercials? Seriously makes me wonder.  Hart to blame them.

When  you skip through commercials, you still "see" them subliminally, especially if you've seen them many times before. The ad companies know that and make them more annoying so you can't really "miss" them. My old DVD recorder has a commercial skip function in 30 second increments and I had become really good at anticipating 60, 90 and 120 second commecials. Too bad the Rogers PVRs don't have that because you have to pay a lot of attention fast forwarding.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm Here A Lot

You can program the PVR to record shows 5 or 10 minutes beyond the show slot, and this normally captures any time shortage of your recording. I set it once and all the shows go 5 minutes beyond its normal end time.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Andy is right. I used to do that with 2-1/2 Men because there was always a bit at the end that got cut off. I also do that with F1 races,  and qualifying, adding an hour in case of delays, However, if you're recording more than one show, the overlap won't work if it needs to record 3 things at once.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Andy is right. I used to do that with 2-1/2 Men because there was always a bit at the end that got cut off. I also do that with F1 races,  and qualifying, adding an hour in case of delays, However, if you're recording more than one show, the overlap won't work if it needs to record 3 things at once.

THIS was the big issue with the +5 mins.

This new guide update, MOSTLY fixes that.. that its scheduled that way..
BUT.. can still run into it.. as its still 1 min into the next timeslot, could run into 3 recordings at once. 😞

I HATE how that channel does it like on alot of their shows.. like do it NORMAL and put the ENDING before the final credits, etc.