TV shows running over the hour

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

TV shows running over the hour

Has anyone had any luck complaining to Rogers that too many shows run over the top of the hour, and the end of the show gets cut off when recording. It's happening more and more. Makes me want to "cut the cord".

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: TV shows running over the hour

I'm not sure this has much to do with Rogers as much as it has to do with the broadcasters.  Rogers would just be the middle man in that equation... recieves the signal from the broadcaster, and passes it along to you the customer.

I could be wrong here though..

Are you experiencing this on 1 perticular channel...?  What show/channels are you seeing this happen to? 

I've Been Here Awhile

Most recently Castle and Body of Proof

I'm a Reliable Contributor

what channel(s)?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As big jug said, Rogers does not have much control over this. They can only change timing on the stations they own.
Any others, they are just rebroadcasting other channels feeds, all the timing is done on their end.

Just looked up, beleive castle is aired on ctv?
This channel tends to do it with many of their shows. Big Bang, 2 1/2 men, etc.

Unless the next timeslot is needed for recording a show, my wife sets the record extra 5 min thing.

Again, unfortunately, there is nothing Rogers can control in those situations.

I've Been Here Awhile

And that's the problem. Often times the next time slot is already set to record. YEs, sometimes then of the first program shows up at the beginning of the next one, but not always.

I'm a Senior Advisor

The sloppy timing of some programs is entirely the fault of the networks, not Rogers. I used to get very annoyed when recordings of 2-1/2 Men would cut off before the end of the "punch line" scene. Advertisers don't like to be stuck in the "no man's land" where the hour changes and viewers are surfing around for what to watch next, so it's often the programming that suffers. If you have something you record regularly that always gets cut off, try scheduling it to record a minute longer if it doesn't conflict with other recordings.

The worst example of messed up timing is CBS on Sunday evenings during one of the many stick-and-ball seasons. The games never stay within their scheduled time slots and can push everything back as much as an hour. I like to watch 60 Minutes, Good Wife and Mentalist, so I have to record every hour between 7 pm and midnight  so as not to miss anything.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Best you can do in these cases, is contact the network and complain to them. 😞

I'm an Enthusiast

Good luck with that!

I am not an employee of Bell...er...Rogers, but I play one on TV.
I'm an Advisor

I've had this issue many times on TMN and HBO. Often, I have to look at the episode of whatever it is On Demand to see the ending. Once I get it happening with a specific program that I regularly record, I set it up to record longer than the "advertised" schedule. I think this is a so-called IPG issue where whoever provides the info to the cable box doesn't have accurate times. After dealing with this for several years, I doubt it's going to change anytime soon. There also used to be a more serious issue with the IPG where, when you recorded a program like The Sopranos, the IPG would change the name of the program and you wouldn't get the recording if you set it up to record all episodes. For example, the IPG would say The Sopranos when you originally set up the recording, then on another episode the IPG would call it The Sopranos HD. I haven't seen this for a long time, though, so someone finally recognized the issue and fixed it. I actually complained to Rogers about it, although I didn't think it was actually their "problem". As for 60 Minutes, I just set it up to record every Sunday night at 7PM for 90 minutes, and it always seems to work fine.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats