TV says "no signal"

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor
Posts: 3,688

Re: TV says "no signal"

@dunn7vic, @jays77, Yes, getting the TV and Rogers box out of sync is a common problem, especially if the box and TV sensors aren't close together or if you move the remote too quickly after pressing the power button. Once that happens you have to press the TV button to get them back in sync. I keep my remote in a pocket at the side of my chair with a bunch of other remotes and often the device buttons will get pressed accidentally, so I always press the CBL button first before using it.


Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Posts: 524

Re: TV says "no signal"


@OLDYELLR wrote:

 @jays77, Yes, getting the TV and Rogers box out of sync is a common problem, especially if the box and TV sensors aren't close together or if you move the remote too quickly after pressing the power button. Once that happens you have to press the TV button to get them back in sync. I keep my remote in a pocket at the side of my chair with a bunch of other remotes and often the device buttons will get pressed accidentally, so I always press the CBL button first before using it.


Here is a variation on the same "out of synch" theme being discussed.

Problem starts with "NO SIGNAL" on the TV when the remote POWER button is pressed ON.  Press POWER button OFF  on remote and then back ON again, the TV program magically appears. I have been asked why is this happening,  I thought you guys might have an idea WHY or HOW the TV and the box might be getting out of synch to cause this mischief? 

Clues:

- My wife always tells me to stand further back from the TV and HD PVR (Cisco Explorer 8642HD High-Definition DVR Set-Top by the way) to turn it on, otherwise only the Rogers box or the TV turns on if too close. I assume this would also be true if you were to try and turn off the box and TV.

- This issue happens randomly. A week without the problem, then once two days in a row. 

- Many reboots have been done. 

- A second HD PVR (a 9865) and TV in another area of the house doesn't display this problem - ever.

- I have not tried turning OFF the TV/Rogers Box, then turning it ON to try and replicate this problem.

 

Any speculation?

 

 

 

 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 3,699

Re: TV says "no signal"

@User14 Here's a link to my thoughts on the same topic in a different thread.

 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/How-to-turn-tv-and-digital-box-off-together/m-p/424269#M4690...

 

There are also several comments a few posts earlier and later in that thread.



Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Posts: 524

Re: TV says "no signal"


@57 wrote:

@User14 Here's a link to my thoughts on the same topic in a different thread.

 http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/How-to-turn-tv-and-digital-box-off-together/m-p/424269#M4690...

 There are also several comments a few posts earlier and later in that thread.


You mentioned the default backlight setting on the TV can interfere?  
"For example, if the default setting was +16, then you lowered it to -1 to minimize interference?"
The two TVs we have are Samsung and the MAX setting is 10.  The offending TV was set at 10 and the other TV was set at 7.  I have adjusted the backlight setting to 6 on the offending TV and we'll see what happens.  Who knew?
 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Posts: 524

Re: TV says "no signal"


@User14 wrote:
You mentioned the default backlight setting on the TV can interfere.
I have adjusted the backlight setting to 6 on the offending TV and we'll see what happens.  

It has only been a week, but I have not been informed of any further "no signal" condition.  I am curious though.... why would the backlight setting produce a "no signal" situation?  I don't see the connection. If it was related to not enough signal strength for the TV to have the signal register, does the backlight setting actually diminish the signal strength?  

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 3,699

Re: TV says "no signal"

A high backlight setting can send out stray IR signals the same as your remote.  This overpowers the IR signal from the remote and the STB doesn't turn on, while the TV does.  At startup, the TV sends out the most stray IR.

 

It could also be that you're now pointing the remote at the equipment longer, so that the second signal to turn on the box is getting through, whereas before it did not.