TV Picture Freezes

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: TV Picture Freezes

I've been having cable box freezing off and on for more than a month - sometimes several a day, most lasting around 10 sec. or so.  Had a major outage in the area a week ago Friday night - no internet, cable or home phone.  Lasted 3+ hrs. (except for home phone which they said required a tech but first tier tech support should have known what to do in the situation - it was a very easy fix for the on-road tech - in and out in less than 5 mins!)

The freezing today was, by far, the longest episode of this particular malady affecting Rogers customers!!

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Maybe the cable TV picture was freezing today because of the extreme cold alert.  In Toronto today the wind chill was about minus 20.

Maybe water got into the cable lines and froze and that's why the picture got frozen.

Or at least that's what Ken M. told me.

I've Been Here Awhile

TY for the kind reply. Still acting up here. We are about 15 minutes outside of London in an apartment building here. Some of our residents are having an issue with the Rogers accounts. Tonight I cannot get my FAcebook to move through the Internet so something is sure amiss. Hopefully they get it fixed right away as lots of folks I know count on

Rogers.

Carol Bolt
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm having issues with TV shows stalling multiple times throughout the show...doesn't seem to be limited to any specific channels or time of day. It freezes, and I miss about 15-20 seconds at a time. Can anyone help me fix this? 

I'm in London, ON

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Call tech support and ask the CSR to run a signal check on the cable tv modem.  Advise him or her that your video image is freezing multiple times during that day. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is no cable TV modem for regular TV, however, as mentioned in the previous post, signal strength is the major source of such issues. When you call, have the CSR check the signal at your set top box.

If you're talking about on-demand via a modem/computer, then again, signal can be an issue and the CSR should be able to check it.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you very much!

I've Been Here Awhile

I live in Moncton, NB and am having the same problem.  Once mine freezes it's frozen for more than 2 hours, unless I change the channel and come back or turn the box on and off.

This happens all the time, not just after work hours.  I hate it especially when watching movies or shows on regular channels.  I can't even go back a few minutes to see what I missed as it froze.

I have tried rebooting the box, checked all my connections to make sure they are on tight, and all is good there.  It will be find for a day or so and then start doing it again.

I have the Nextbox and am wondering if that has something to do with it?  I have all new cables into the apartment so that can't be it.

I'm seriously thinking of going over to Bell/Aliant at this time, unless this issue can be fixed ASAP.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tinttara:

Would you please tell us exactly the make/model of your box.  Is it a PVR?  If it's a PVR, it's possible that the hard drive is going bad...

However, most times these sorts of issues are related to a poor signal in your home or in your neighbourhood. I realize that you've checked your connections, however, that doesn't mean that the signal can't be bad.  Call Rogers and have them check the signal in your home and in your neighbourhood.  They can do this remotely. Talk to your neighbours to see if they encounter the same issue.  Is it more prevalent on a specific channel?

Here's a previous post on the topic:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi @57,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you.  I have been having trouble with the internet over the weekend.  Enough of that, the only numbers I find on the box are on the front and they are: DCX3400-M.   I can only get to the other numbers on the back if I pull everything out of the tv stand to get to it.  Hopefully this will be enough.  

I noticed today that it's happening on other channels too, watching my soaps and talk shows all day and now into the night also.  

I don't think the wind has anything to do with it today.  It's just another day of freezing up as usual.  I was just watching other than movies this morning when it happened, so it's not only on the movie channels. 

I appreciate your help in all of this.

Tinttara