TV Outlets

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: TV Outlets

This is my experience. I've run my own cables and installed my own splitters since before digital. The only way Rogers would do that for you is run cable along baseboards and over doorways using staples.  I put all my cabling inside the suspended ceiling in my basement. When I've had signal problems, Rogers came and replaced splitters and connectors and even cable runs no charge.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

How far is too far for a cable run, in terms of signal degradation I mean? Depend on the quality of cable?

I'm a Senior Advisor

Here is a link on signal loss:

http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/articles/200383695-How-Much-Signal-Do-I-Lose-Going-Through...

Unless you have to run 100' of cable, there's always more signal loss in splitters than the cable itself. Rogers will not use cheap cable, connectors or splitters.

All splitters are made up of an array of 2-way splitters inside.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Look for Quad Shield RG-6.  For home installation that should be fine.  If you were running a cable out to a garage or workshop at some distance from the house, you might decide to use RG-11 to keep the cable losses down. 

If you are running cables through walls or between floors, and can manage to pull something more than just a single cable, consider running structured wiring, which is a 4 cable bundle containing two RG-6 cables, one Cat 5e or 6 for data and a Cat 3 or 5e for telephones.  Here is a chart showing various bundle types and what they contain:

http://www.broadbandutopia.com/recocasegu.html#aftercaption

I've Been Here Awhile

my TV package claims I can have up to 3 digital boxes to add, well , I actually got 1 PVR box and 1 TV at home. if I want to add 1 TV, how shall I do? I just checked out rogers cable at basement, I can see a spillter bond 1 cable in (from backyard rogers big blue box) and 3 cables out. 1 cable to rogers voip phone box, 1 cable to 2nd floor where rogers internet cable modem attached, 1 cable to 1st floor where my existing TV box connected to. It seems I can 2 options only by now option 1) get 1 HD terminal box or another PVR from Rogers store, install it by myself. I heard Rogers would charge me $49 if their technician do this work for you. However, As I mentioned above, I don't have extra rogers cable to attach this box!!! option 2) get Rogers technician install extra cable and attach new TV box for me. Charge me $49. Sounds ok, but how about I want 3rd TV box in near future? Rogers would come again, get new cable and TV box set, charge me again. BTW. once I get new TV box works, I have to pay monthly $13 to $20 for TV box but no extra outlet fee cause it is included in TV package. Do I have other options? Or why not Rogers get all cables ready at one time? Let me know if my understanding is correct. Thanks a lot.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I will let other REs or the Moderators address the options that are available for you to add a TV.  The reason that the techs do not get all cables ready as you suggest is that they will ensure that the existing cable devices have adequate signal power and signal to noise ratios so that they operate properly.  The techs will ensure that the signal levels are balanced and within the correct ranges for the devices in question.  While it is possible to install a larger splitter for future growth, there are drawbacks to this as a larger splitter will drop the signal levels more than the small splitters.  There is also a requirement to install terminators on any splitter port that is not being used to prevent any signal reflection back down the main cable, resulting in poor signal levels for all devices.  In some cases a larger splitter might result in having to add a signal amplifier to ensure adequate signal levels for the devices that are actually installed and used at this time.  That adds cost and complexity.  The additional cost to have a tech return for another installation can be an aggravation, but, the techs role in this is to ensure that the devices that you have in your home are operating as they should when the installation is completed.

Having said all of that, you can check out the cabling in your home and determine if you have structured cabling installed.  That is a cable bundle that runs from the structured wiring cabinet in the basement up to each room upstairs.  The bundle is comprised of two RG-6 cables for satellite and cable, one Cat 5e or Cat 6 for Ethernet data, and one Cat 3 (possibly Cat 5e) for telephones.  You can determine if you have that in your home, and if so, locate the correct RG-6 cables that run upstairs, which will save time on the install.  If that cable is available, the tech will install new connectors on it as part of the installation.

If you knew you that you had adequate signal levels, yes, you could probably do this yourself, but you would need to be proficient at installing connectors on the cable and would have to pick up a splitter from the Rogers store if they have one available.  There are various ways to run the installation, and sometimes it takes some creativity to get the installation done.  That is where the tech's experience pays off, knowing what has to be done, and knowing the best way to do it. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One thing you have to understand.. is that rogers responsibility really is to get the cable INTO the house.. from the street to the side of your house and inside.  ANYTHING from there..  lines running to the different rooms, etc.. is technically the OWNERS responsibility.  So rogers is not going to run/do anything inside beyond the basics.. splitting it out as apropriate, and sometimes will do some BASIC runs (say if unfinished basement.. along baseboard cable runs, etc).

But as Datalink said.. you dont want extra splitters in there, if they are not being used.  Each split drops/lowers the signal, and could then start causing issues..

Having a tech come out, to install whatever else is needed, SHOULDNT as far as i am aware cost you anything.
Initial installs sometimes will have the $49.99 setup fee... if rogers comes and a problem has to be fixed, and it was from a user making the problem (putting in their own splitters which then caused it sort of thing), can result in a fee.

I have had neumerous techs out to fix & or change things around for me, and have yet to be charged.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Adding to what Gdkitty said, a visit from a Rogers tech does not necessarily entail a $50 charge. I've installed my own splitters and cabling in my basement drop ceiling and on a couple of occasions called Rogers to diagnose a poor signal to my main TV.  The techs have replaced splitters and connectors and on one occasion laid down a new length of cable to the main TV, leaving me to finish it off. I was never charged. It's in Rogers best interests that you get good reception.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks guys, Rogers technician won't charge me this $49 in most cases based on Gdkitty and OLDYELLR, it is great news! Before I go asking Rogers help me set up. Let us see I want to split cable by myself, I searched internet, this is what I found >>> 2 way...2 output spigots...3.5dbs of loss 3 way...3 output spigots...1 spigot at 3.5dbs, 2 spigots at 7dbs. 4way...4 output spigots...4 spigots of 7dbs loss. >>> so if I wan to be ready for extra 2 TV boxes, what should I do? I have to use at least 2 splitters, say I get another 3way splitter behind existing 3way splitter. I am worry about signal strength , adding amplifier to all 3 ports in 2nd splitter? I assume Rogers allow only 1 cable into house anyway. Please help 🙂

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is where the creativity comes into play. It’s a combination of where the cables are heading to, and the signal drops at the splitter ports. The end goal is to minimize the signal drops as much as possible.

You already have a 3-Way splitter installed with 1 port dropping 3.5 dB and 2 ports dropping 7 dB. You need two more ports for a total of 5 outgoing cables, and it appears that Regal only has 4 Way and 8 Way splitters that might be suitable at first glance. The 4 Way drops the levels by 7 dB and the 8 Way drops the levels by 10.5 dB.

Just looking at using various combinations of 2, 3, and 4 Way splitters, you will end up with at least two ports dropping 10 dB, maybe more, no matter what combination you use. So, with that in mind, you could use your existing 3 Way splitter with another 3 Way splitter. You would install the second three Way splitter off of the 3.5 dB drop port on the existing splitter. The output of the second splitter is one port with a final drop of 7 dB (the 3.5 dB port) and two ports with a drop of 10.5 dB (the 7 dB ports).   The end result is a total of 5 outgoing ports, three with 7 dB drops and two with 10.5 dB drops.

What you would need to decide is where the two ports with the 10.5 dB drop should connect to. If you had a couple tv’s for kids rooms or non-critical locations of your choice, you would use those two ports to run those cable boxes. For locations where you wanted the best picture quality possible, given the signal levels that would be available, you would connect those locations to the first splitter using the 7 dB ports and to the second splitter which would also have a 7 dB drop. 

The final question in all of this is, do you have enough signal excess on the cable that you can afford to run 5 devices, and that is where the tech comes in, checking the signal levels at each box to ensure that they meet the requirements for those specific receivers.  And, this is where the tech makes the decision to install in inline amplifier if one is required due to your incoming signal levels.  That might lead to replacing the external cable and connectors instead, if that is required to bring the signal levels up to where they should be.  So, what appears to be a simple task of adding a splitter might become a bigger task if its required.

Note that this is just one way to do this.  Depending on the layout of your home and what existing cables are available, it might be possible to split an existing cable somewhere else in the home to run more than one receiver.  Just a matter of being creative and taking advantage of what is already in place.

Here are the Regal splitters that Rogers uses:

http://www.arrisistore.com/subcat.php?cat=JC&mfg=REGAL

http://www.arrisistore.com/attachments/Regal-1GHz-Zinc-DS-Splitters.pdf

Order Now!
UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone Live
LIVE: Saturday, January 18th 10:00 PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of January 16th

He's back! Irish superstar Conor McGregor makes his return to the Octagon on January 18, and he's kicking off 2020 with a welterweight showdown against the man with the most wins in UFC history, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Returning to action for the first time since October 2018 in the main event of UFC 246, the two-division champion from Dublin known as "The Notorious" one wants to make a statement against Albuquerque action hero Cerrone, who has picked up five post-fight performance bonuses in his last five bouts.

Topic Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 12 in conversation