TV/Modem Splitter?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

TV/Modem Splitter?

I only have one coaxial and need to connect to my modem and TV box. Do I need to purchase my own splitter or can Rogers provide one?
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: TV/Modem Splitter?

Are you new to Rogers services?  Did you have one service already, and are adding another?

Either way, a Rogers tech can install a splitter for you.  Cant confirm if you'll be charged for a service visit, depending on your circumstances, but you can often negotiate your way out of it if they try.

I'm Here A Lot

I am a new customer. I purchased a TV + Internet bundle yesterday!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Nevolute did you pick up the internet modem and tv receiver (modem) from a Rogers store, or, do you have an upcoming appointment for a Rogers tech to install the equipment?  If you have an upcoming appointment, the tech will install the required splitters and ensure that power levels to the modems is within their respective operating limits.  If you opted for the Whole Home PVR system (two or more tv receivers), then you will need a Rogers tech to set that up.  

I'm Here A Lot

@Datalink I picked up the internet modem and Nextbox from a Rogers store and have not opted for the Whole Home PVR system.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Nevolute ok, do you have the necessary cable runs already installed and do you know if those cable runs are serviceable?  You could call the store to see if they happen to have any splitters on hand.  If your not sure of the serviceability of the cable runs, then a tech will have to check them and ensure that they will support both modems.  Best bet is to call tech support and have a chat with a Customer Service Rep.  Let him or her know that you're a new customer and that the store didn't supply you with the required splitter.   You could simply purchase a splitter, ensuring that it supports the 5 to 1002 Mhz range, but, if you ever have any problems, a resulting tech visit would end up costing you money as the tech would simply say, "problem caused by customer installed equipment."  Rogers uses Antronix splitters and amplifiers.  If the staff at the store simply handed you the modems without the splitter or asking any questions regarding your home cable system, then they're not doing you any favours.  The branded Rogers store are no longer owned or operated by Rogers, but, customers wouldn't know that unless they actually about it.  So, personal opinion, best bet is to call tech support, let the CSR know that you're looking for a field tech to install the modems and ensure that your cable system it running as required.  Also ensure that you won't be charged for the visit, where the purpose of the visit is to install Rogers equipment. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

@Nevolute ok, do you have the necessary cable runs already installed and do you know if those cable runs are serviceable?  You could call the store to see if they happen to have any splitters on hand.  If your not sure of the serviceability of the cable runs, then a tech will have to check them and ensure that they will support both modems.  Best bet is to call tech support and have a chat with a Customer Service Rep.  Let him or her know that you're a new customer and that the store didn't supply you with the required splitter.   You could simply purchase a splitter, ensuring that it supports the 5 to 1002 Mhz range, but, if you ever have any problems, a resulting tech visit would end up costing you money as the tech would simply say, "problem caused by customer installed equipment."  Rogers uses Antronix splitters and amplifiers.  If the staff at the store simply handed you the modems without the splitter or asking any questions regarding your home cable system, then they're not doing you any favours.  The branded Rogers store are no longer owned or operated by Rogers, but, customers wouldn't know that unless they actually about it.  So, personal opinion, best bet is to call tech support, let the CSR know that you're looking for a field tech to install the modems and ensure that your cable system it running as required.  Also ensure that you won't be charged for the visit, where the purpose of the visit is to install Rogers equipment. 

Sometimes the best thing to do in this situation is to do the most simple thing.  Which might be to go to a Rogers outlet store and ask the gentleman or gentlewoman behind the counter for an extra set of 2 coax cables and a 2-way splitter.  they probably have some lying around in the back room and will gladly give them to you for free.  

I personally have asked for and received extra coax cables and a splitter from the rogers store myself. it does not hurt to ask,   if they dont have it, you can go and buy one yourself but try to buy it from a reputable store and make sure it is 5 to 1000 mhz range like data link said, if you really dont feel you should pay for it, you can call rogers and tell them you purchased one and to credit your account for the difference, they sometimes might do this if their policy allows

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Nevolute I seriously doubt that you would be charged for a service call to get your modem and STB connected correctly. But Rogers does not fish cables through walls and ceilings, just staples them along baseboards and over doorways.  Even if you install your own cable runs and splitters and there's a problem, Rogers will replace them if there's a problem. When I had signal problems, the Rogers tech replaced cables, splitters and connectors no charge.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

Modem issues after connecting to a splitter

I just got new service, internet and digital tv over the weekend and seems like either 1 works but not both. I had an old splitter from a previous tenant who had Rogers there previously. It did not work at all. I returned to the Rogers store and got a new 2 way splitter and extra coax cables. Now the modem will not go online. all the lights will light up except the "@". Any ideas? Thx.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@LMSoucy connect both devices to the splitter and ensure that the cabling is hand tight, or just a little more.  Be careful not to strip the threads on any of the connectors by over-tightening the cables.  

When thats done, call tech support and ask the Customer Service Rep to run a signal check on both devices.  I suspect that you have a cable or connector issue on the go.  The signal check should probably show that.  I suspect that the signal check will fail automatically after which the CSR should arrange for a tech visit to determine what the problem is. 

The splitter will cut the original signal level in half.  Under normal signal conditions this isn't a problem, but, if you have low signal levels to start with, that signal drop due to the splitter might be enough to prevent the connected devices from operating properly.