TV Guide update - Atlantic Region

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: TV Guide update - Atlantic Region

Lucky for you, still no sign here in the Bathurst region in New Brunswick.

I Plan to Stick Around

No change here yet near Saint John, NB. My boxes are the DCX3510-M and the DCX700-M. This is very exciting to know the maritimes is actually getting an update. As long as this doesn't fizzle out as well.
I Plan to Stick Around

No issues so far. Its responds quicker than the old guide too it seems. I'd say you guys will get it soon
I Plan to Stick Around

Don't see it here in western NB as yet.  Do you have to reboot the box after the update...if so might have it and not know it as haven't done a reboot?

I Plan to Stick Around

It happened​ automatically for us.
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks....Mythen.

I'm Here A Lot

After seeing the new software on some older digital boxes that were updated months ago, we finally got the update on our 3400M's this week. Other than aesthetics I see very little difference.

The speed of the interface, especially changing channels, has not improved (at least for me anyway). It is so slow that my tv goes in and out of "connection loss" screen, but this was the same with the older software as well. One of the things I was hoping they would address would have been the speed, especially when it is slow on the DCX-700 (non-pvrs) and ridiculously slow on the PVRs. The interface on Bell Fibe TV is so fast you can almost channel surf. Rogers goes black for almost 5-10 seconds, especially when switching from an SD to HD channel. I wouldn't mind so much, but I think the boxes I have are the most recent, unless there are newer/faster ones. 

Another issue that has been mentioned to me is the size of the text. I have not had a problem personally, but I have had various people complain about the size of the font on screen, especially on the info bar for programming and especially for TV Call Display.  Is there anyway to adjust the resolution so the font is bigger?  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Argo82 wrote:   Rogers goes black for almost 5-10 seconds, especially when switching from an SD to HD channel. I wouldn't mind so much, but I think the boxes I have are the most recent, unless there are newer/faster ones.

This is usually not an issue with the box/firmware, but rather the fact that your TV takes that long to switch between various incoming formats (480i, 720P, 1080i).  TVs vary between about 2 seconds to 10+ seconds when switching from 480i to 1080i for example. 

You need to go into your box' User Settings and select one output format (say 1080i) instead of "passthrough" (Native) and you shouldn't have this delay.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Setup

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks very much. I have changed this.

The standby screen no longer shows up when switching to an HD channel, however the delay between channels is still significant. Now switching between any channel SD or HD takes almost 5 seconds.  Even when inputting channel numbers it has to be done slowly so the interface can catch up. This is on the 3400-M PVR model. Our DCX-700 (non PVR) is slightly faster, however screen goes blank and info bar disappears before video is shown in most cases. 

One thing to mention is we have the whole home PVR, where the non PVR can access the pvr in the other room. If this was deactived, would it speed up the interface on both?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Argo82 wrote:

One thing to mention is we have the whole home PVR, where the non PVR can access the pvr in the other room. If this was deactived, would it speed up the interface on both?

I have no clue about WHPVR in Atlantic, sorry.  I do know that WHPVR in Ontario has issues and is a kludge.  I run separate individual  (Cisco 9865) PVRs on each TV instead, but I can see advantages to WHPVR for some people...  Probably a topic for another thread...