TMN picture quality - GoT latest victim

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

TMN picture quality - GoT latest victim

I'm using a NextBox 3.0 and watching this from my recorded list, but I feel like the TMN channels including HBO etc. have always been shortchanged - overly compressed.  I know we want all that great crispness for the live sports channels, but I pay a lot for this service to watch shows legally, like Game of Thrones.  The premiere was very washed out - blacks were more like grays, and macro blocking was horrible, especially in dark scenes which became a blotchy mess.  My wife is normally not as much of a stickler for this as I am but she was commenting on it too.  TMN can look ok, but cue the action movie explosion -> macroblocking.  Essentially a well lit scene that doesn't move too fast is ok, anything else is iffy.   I've been with Rogers since the start of HD and TMN for quite a while as well and its been bad as long as I can remember.

Poking RogersHelps was useless.  No, there's nothing wrong with the signal strength, I'm not getting stuttering or lockups or anything else, your broadcast is just bad quality.  Complained to TMN who actually responded fairly quickly and said that the signal looks fine leaving there.

Next I tried out the TMN Go App on my Xbox One for the same episode of GoT.  Wow, the blacks were back, the macroblocking non-existent, almost dare I say it, in High Definition.  Why can't Rogers deliver decent quality to the package I pay a significant premium for???

***Edited Labels***

Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Re: TMN picture quality - GoT latest victim

Hello @Joxer

Thank you for the feedback. That's odd, I personally haven't noticed any quality issues when watching HBO or TMN. Maybe others in the Community can chime in with their own experience?

RogersAsif

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have no complaints about the PQ on TMN-HD, HBO-HD, etc (channels in the 550s).  On the 9865 I get very little macroblocking, especially when I compare it to my 8300.  Black levels appear to be fine. Here are some additional comments.

1. If you're using different inputs on the TV, then each input should be properly optimized.

2. Different devices can have different black level outputs, so the TV inputs may need to be optimized for each device. With HDMI this is not as much of an issue as it was with component video and other connection types.

3. This can be an issue if you're only using one TV input (as a monitor) and going "through" an AVR, but again, not as much of an issue with HDMI connections.

4. CP24 (HD) is a good channel to utilize to adjust black levels on the TV for a STB like the 9865, 8642, etc.  Adjust the black level (sometimes called Brightness) down to the point where the black gets no blacker. Start from a point when the blacks appear grey.  Do not set the black level too low, otherwish you will crush the blacks and not see shadow details.

5. Many people also set the "sharpness" on their TVs way too high. This can exacerbate any macroblocking, halos, stairstepping, mosquito noise, and other picture artifacts.  Usually a level around 1-20 on a scale of 100 is the optimimum range. It's extremely rare that I have encountered a setting higher than that to be optimum during my optimization travels. 

6.  Different channels and different programmes on those channels can look quite different, so there is a bit of a compromize sometimes.  The TV's default settings are never optimized, and each TV/Home Theatre is different.

7. Of course some people are more sensitive to certain picture quality artifacts than other people.

You may wish to consider having someone around to your home to optimize your home theatre for video and audio.

I'm Here A Lot

Ok, I've dropped the sharpness down to 20 from 50, but I don't really buy this.  I don't have to go through hoops to make Netflix look fine, whether on an appletv, xbox one, or what have you.  No issues with Blu-ray on PS3, Xbox one.  Didn't notice the washed out, grey film on AMCs Fear TWD, although I have seen the same type of thing on RealTime with Bill Maher on the same channel - no explosions or other demanding things on that show ;-).   And its always been bad.  Multiple TVs (last one from Johnny G and calibrated by him ages ago) I always had issues with action movie explosions which looked like a 240i video clip on TMN.   

Next time I see this I'll keep the recording and see if anything helps.  But this is not niggling little issues for a hyper-sensitive viewer.  This is glaring ugh.  Note this is a 60" LG plasma.

I'm an Advisor

Hello @Joxer,

The comments offered by 57 are bang on - everything said is correct.

I have a 70" 4K TV with a Nextbox 3 (9865HD) - the picture quality on the TMN and HBO channels is good, no severe issues noted.

Question:

Have you compared the Live TV picture quality with:

-- TMN GO (http://www.themovienetwork.ca/tmngo)  website via PC?

-- TMN GO app on XBOX 360?

-- TMN GO app on Android or iOS connected to TV?

Do any of the on-demand sources offer better PQ than what you are seeing on your TV?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Joxer wrote:

Ok, I've dropped the sharpness down to 20 from 50, but I don't really buy this.  Multiple TVs (last one from Johnny G and calibrated by him ages ago)

IIRC, JohnnyG usually sets all user settings at 50 before calibration and then calibrates using the service menu.  Therefore the "50" you see in the user menu could correlate to almost any number in actuality...

Did he do all inputs?  Are you using one of the calibrated inputs?

I'm Here A Lot

57, I may have confused the issue - that JohnnyG sold me and calibrated my previous TV.  This LG 60PG60 I think I just started with some basic setup advice from one of the audio/video forums and tweaked 'Expert 1' from there.   The next time I see issues I'll keep the recording around - went looking for anything with explosions coming soon but didn't see any likely candidates.  Dark scenes, fog, underwater are always a test for seeing artifacts.  The On Demand for AMC Fear TWD s2e3 showed some, I want to say banding?, during some underwater scenes with a backlight,  but wasn't as bad as the aired GoT opener.

I'm Here A Lot

@robindp wrote:

Hello @Joxer,

The comments offered by 57 are bang on - everything said is correct.

I have a 70" 4K TV with a Nextbox 3 (9865HD) - the picture quality on the TMN and HBO channels is good, no severe issues noted.

Question:

Have you compared the Live TV picture quality with:

-- TMN GO (http://www.themovienetwork.ca/tmngo)  website via PC?

-- TMN GO app on XBOX 360?

-- TMN GO app on Android or iOS connected to TV?

Do any of the on-demand sources offer better PQ than what you are seeing on your TV?

TMN Go on the Xbox One did look much better as previously noted - no obvious macroblocking, good blacks.  This is likely on a different input on the TV.  I'll compare this weekend's but match inputs as there are some differences particularly between the side and back HDMIs.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I recently had a client with problems similar to you. One input device (say Netflix on the Smart TV itself) would be "fine" while the blacks were "blotchy" on the input for his cable signal.

This was on an LED and I've see this a lot with LEDs, not so much with plasmas, but it is there.  Adjusting the black level by only a few points completely cured the blotchiness/macroblocking he was seeing - say going from 48 down to 46 or 45. One would not think that would make a big difference, but it did in his case.  It all depends on the TV and the signal, but it does stress the importance of a proper optimization.

Using the settings from another person on the web, or various posted "optimized" readings on various websites is sometimes worse than simply using the "expert/user" default picture mode settings because each TV and input is different. It's the same as trying to use some one else' combination on your combination lock - unlikely to unlock the best picture.  😉

Of course the default picture mode these days (typically called "Standard") is nowhere near accurate and the "Dynamic" mode which used to be the default is the worst of all.

I'm an Advisor

I have an almost 12 year old SA8300HD box and have subscribed to TMN/HBO for as long as I can remember. Other than the occasional signal glitch over the years, I've never had an issue with the picture quality of TMN/HBO. I have a Samsung LED Smart TV, which I've calibrated to the best of my ability, and its PQ is really excellent.

Get Ready!