TMN channel sequence

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

TMN channel sequence

Has anyone noticed the channel numbering mess with the TMN channels?  Channel 301 has TMN 1, channel 302 has HBO Canada 1, 303 has HBO Canada 2, 304 has TMN 3, 305 has TMN 2, 306 has TMN 4, 307 has TMN Encore 1, 308 has TMN Encore 2, 309 has TMN OnDemand, 310 has TMN Encore OnDemand, and 311 has HBO Canada OnDemand.  I am not a mathematician and I do not play one on television, but it does not take a genius to see the sequential mess that currently exists with these channels.

Is there a reason that Rogers has not renumbered these channels when TMN rebranded them a year and a half ago?  The user experience of flipping through these channels and seeing the current sequence is terrible, and customers should not be pointing out obvious things like this. Smiley Sad

*Edited Labels*

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: TMN channel sequence

@536  First welcome to the forum and definitely a great question.

Thanks for highlighting that "insanity".  I am a math geek and a logic geek, and this one defies either science.

I hadn't noticed it because I usually access my HBO and TMN subscription choices through the on demand button, but my wife does use those all the time.  She likes to record Bill Mahr weekly with ability to fast forward and have full VCR controls, so she has found the channnel in the guide and set it up and forgets about it. Plus when a new movie shows that she would like to watch a few times, she PVR's it too.

But she is one of those who go, "that is nuts", tell me, and I say, "I have enough things about that box I don't like, you keep that one". 

So thanks for bringing it up - at some point they will be setting up the guide format for IPTV and Comcast model, and maybe they will take time to clean up the one left with us who say, the old model of cable transmission is ok with us.

But if they make too many changes to the old format, I imagine people who have learned to live with it and have it in "motor muscle and location memory", will not be pleased.

The change you describe would drive my wife nuts for say, 15 minutes, and then she would realize she has to reprogram the PVR for the changes and grumble all the way through it, then move on.

But I agree, no logic at all.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@BS wrote:

But if they make too many changes to the old format, I imagine people who have learned to live with it and have it in "motor muscle and location memory", will not be pleased.

That's exactly right. For example, I grew up with 12 VHF channels, then a converter for cable. When HD came along Rogers put those channels in the 500 series and then 400 when that overflowed. But my SA8300HD PVR automatically tunes the HD version, if available, when selecting the lower 100-odd channels, so I never bothered to memorize all the equivalent HD series channel numbers.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Remember that we're not talking about the renumbering of all the channels but rather of the TMN channels which went through a rebranding a year and a half ago, where if I recall correctly M became TMN 1, MExcess became TMN 3, MFun! became TMN 2, and MFest became TMN 4.  As a result of the introduction of numbers after "TMN" the channels are now out of sequence.  Interestingly enough TMN used numbers to identify their channels in the '90s and we've now gone back to this.

I Plan to Stick Around

Bruce: when you wrote "at some point they will be setting up the guide format for IPTV and Comcast model", what did you mean?  I am not familiar with the model that you mentioned.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree, the TMN Channels need to be better organised

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am new here so I will ask, what are the chances that Rogers does something about this TMN channel organization?  In other words, how effective are these forums and the comments from the community into improving the cable television service?  I am just curious.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@536:

Rogers personnel do read these forums. The posts here can be very effective.  However, what gets done can depend on the number of complaints received and how easy the "fix" is.

With IPTV in the offing for next year, probably with a complete channel realignment, we cannot expect much to be done on the current firmware, channel listings, hardware, etc.  Any major issues are usually handled.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@536  When I speak of the model, it is based upon a US company Comcast, which is owned by ATT last I knew.

Rogers tried to bring IPTV onto the Nextbox line of set top boxes, but it failed to scale to the "wild", ie the home.  It functioned internally in lab testing, but when testers took it home, it failed, so they scrapped it.

Target is end of first quarter 2018 for their implementation of the model, and so far the understanding as heard on the board and from other sources is that they will be keeping both the old QAM based Netbox system with no Internet access to TV as we currently have, and the new IPTV model - which is Internet based - we won't know any details of what that will look like, packaging, costs, etc until they announce when they are ready to go forward.

Hope that helps.  Thanks for asking, I forget that I live on the board, and that new members may not know what I am talking about.  Welcome to the forum by the way in case noone has done so yet.  Bruce