TCM Ottawa “This service is currently unavailable”

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

TCM Ottawa “This service is currently unavailable”

Anyone else in the Ottawa area getting the “This service is currently unavailable. Please try again later” message on TCM? This is day two for me...

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: TCM Ottawa “This service is currently unavailable”

Working just fine for me in Ottawa.

Try rebooting the box, as it may have lost authorization for some channels.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Brye1 wrote:

Anyone else in the Ottawa area getting the “This service is currently unavailable. Please try again later” message on TCM? This is day two for me...

This message almost always means you have a poor return signal to the head end (or node), which then sends out the SDV channel.  (SDV - switched digital video is utilized to save bandwidth).  There are probably other SDV channels you can't get and also "search" or VOD typically won't work.  Call Rogers and have them check the signal in your home or neighbourhood. Here's a post on signal:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

No problems with TCM here in Toronto.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Here is a peek into the inexplicable.....

I ran into the same message, here in Toronto (TCM 48. This service is not currently available, etc.)

I have 4 different set top boxes in two different rooms. I have a Cisco/Rogers set top "Nextbox" and a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD PVR in one room. In the other room, I have Cisco/Rogers "Nextbox" PVR and another Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD PVR.

In the first room, TCM played fine on both boxes, as did all other channels.

In the second room, TCM would not play on either one. I got the message above from both boxes. All other channels worked just fine.

After doing some reading on this page, I removed the power cable from the Explorer 8300HD for about 15 seconds, then plugged it back in and waited for it to reboot.

Here is the inexplicable part:

TCM started working properly on BOTH boxes ... the Explorer 8300HD ... AND ... the Nextbox PVR.!!

Note that I did NOT reboot the Nextbox PVR. I didn't even turn it off or put it in standby mode. It was recording a movie during the whole time I was fiddling with the Explorer PVR. But after I confirmed that TCM was working on the Explorer (on HDMI 1) , I decided to check the Nextbox (on HDMI 2), and when I changed to the TCM channel on that box, it was working, too. 

Very weird ....

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

looks like calling tech support is your only way to fix this, it could be a bad signal or bad communication to the node.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@GeorgeBaumann wrote:

I ran into the same message, here in Toronto (TCM 48. This service is not currently available, etc.)

As mentioned in post 3 of this thread and by @Pauly above, this is almost always related to a poor signal at the box/home/neighbourhood. Some boxes in a home can be more sensitive to a marginal signal than others and often the signal can vary a bit from day to night also.  I've noticed this myself with TCM and there was a poor splitter in the main line to my home that was the source of my problem (causing too much signal drop).  You can check the signal per post 3 of this thread (on the various channels), or by calling Rogers and having them check the signal to all your various boxes. 

Rebooting a box may be a temporary fix, but if the signal is marginal, it'll go away again sometime in the near future.  The "reboot" may also have sent a "good" signal to the node where the channel is part of SDV channels that only come to your home when they are "requested" by the box(es).  Other channels are often also affected, but you may not be watching them.  BTW, there are many different Nextboxes, so if you ever need to post about an issue again, please post the model number (8642, 8600, 9865, etc.)