Switching Inputs on Nextbox 3.0

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Switching Inputs on Nextbox 3.0

I have the same issues with my NB3.0. What brand of TV do you have? Mine is a Sony Bravia, 4 years old, LCD. I have tried two boxes and multiple HDMI cables. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am still thinking this is related to the whole HDMI CEC issue 😞

I've Been Here Awhile

I have a Toshiba LCD, 3 years old. Nothing new, or weird or anything like that.
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same issues with this box as well. It actually prevents my ARC ( Audio Return Channel) from working which is a big deal since I use my TV for Netflix and the audio will not go to my receiver, from my tv, unless I unplug the netbox 3 from my receiver.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm.. i havent specificaly heard of an issue with ARC, but i dont think ALOT of people specificaly use it.

But i would guess.. the same issue which effects the HDMI-CEC might effect the ARC as well 😞

I found, even prior to this box, that i had issues with ARC period.. on two different receivers which did support it, as well as my TV..  I gave up and just swtiched to a toslink optical out, and havent had an issue since, just need to swtich inputs.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

you guys know what?  ive been doing the most simple way of connecting my TV to my home theatre sound system and it is proven to work and has no complications or no difficulties, and if i was with rogers, they would support it as well.  not sure why people arent doing it this way.  Incase no one knows how to do it the simple way, look at the back of your TV screen, there is usually an audio out L/R connectors, those are for analogue, so if you have an old boom box lying arround and want to connect the sound to that, use those Analogue L/R connectors,  but and a big but, not a (_)_), dont most digital tvs have a Toslink Fibre Optical output connector?  if so why not simply connect a Toslink or even a coaxial RCA from the back of the TV to the input of your receiver? this is the most simplest way, and you dont need to fiddle and fuss around with changing inputs of your receiver,  you just watch tv like you always do, and the sound comes out of amplified speakers, wow who woulda known it would be that simple?   no need to mess with Arc or connect hdmi from your receiver to the box to the tv, etc, that gets complicated and its well known that tht doesnt work well.

I'm an Advisor

Rafa1478:

I use ARC from my Samsung Smart TV to a Denon AVR and it works fine for Netflix, etc.. I don't understand how the NB 3 has anything to do with ARC and I don't have your problem. I have all the HDMI CEC stuff turned off. It doesnt work with the NB 3 and I power equipment on/off with macros on a learning remote. Nice and simple with no complications.

I agree that using optical out, if your TV supports it, and you have an available input on your AVR, should work fine.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The only DOWNSIDE of what pauly sugests, of doing ALL out through your TV.. is depending on how the TV does it/what it supports... IF you are looking for the best audio.

There are many different levels of surround sound.. DD, DTS, Prologic, etc.. some having more features/range than others.

Often when you go inputs into your TV, then all the auidio out from there to your surround.. some TVs will not directly pass the extact format through.. and will downscale it slightly.

I've Been Around

I have an LG 55LA7900 LED TV connected to an LG TS913ES Home Theatre System. Recently swapped out the Cisco Explorer 8300HD DVR for a NextBox 3.0 and I can vouch for anyone else that is having issues with ARC. I have one HDMI cable going from the PVR to the sound system (in the STB IN port) and another HDMI cable going from the sound system's ARC enabled port to my TV's HDMI1 ARC enabled port.

I previously had no issues with the 8300HD plugged in the same fashion but now the NextBox 3.0 blocks out my ARC audio. If I simply disconnect the STB HDMI from my sound system, the ARC audio comes back within 3 seconds. There's no doubt in my mind that the Nextbox 3.0 is at fault. Just hoping to hear of a solution that at least enables me to retain quality picture and sound.

Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

At the moment there is no fix to it.. until they update the software to fix it 😞

Only real way to get the audio back would be via another cable, toslink for example back to the AVR for the sound from the other TV stuff.  Obviously need to use another input, etc on the AVR for this and requires an extra cable run 😞

(ARC has alway acted flakey for me, even pre the NB3... so i switched to using a seperate cable a long time ago)