Switching Inputs on Nextbox 3.0

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Switching Inputs on Nextbox 3.0

Gdkitty, symptom is at least 5 times a week the nb3 is unresponsive after I power it on my tv. For instance I can turn nb3 change channels as long as my tv is powered off. Once I turn on the tv (component video only) the nb3 locks up for 30 mins unless i hard reset it. What's strange is I figured out when this is happening If I use the remote to power off both the tv and the nb3, then only turn on the nb3 I can change channels all I want until I turn the tv back on. That's annoying cause I still can't use the guide, This is the second nb3 I'm on with this same problem. I've been using component cable for a while after thinking it was the CEC issue. It seems related to the TV somehow on somehow. I thought it was a remote issue but i have two different Rogers remotes. Ready to just cancel the cable, it's unwatchable.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its NOT the CEC issue.  But i am pretty confident that i know know exactly what the issue is.

I bet this happens, moreso, if the room is darker/at night as well?
And i am guessing.. you have a LCD/LED/Plasma TV, relitively new (less than 5 years?).

This is an IR spray issue.

While the new rogers box seems overly suseptible to it... the NB2.0 has this issue as well... as can other components sometimes. (my projector in the basement is suseptible to this.. since my media center IR receiver gives off alot of spray).

Does your TV have an 'eco' or auto brightness feature.. that it auto dims slightly, when the room is slightly darker?
TV's with this feature, often have a 2nd IR sensor on them, which is to detect the light level.  These sensors, tend to have a wide 'IR spray' on them.. that they produce alot of interfearance.
While the TV is on.. There can be enough of this spray, that it interfears with the signal the NB3 is receiving.. and is unresponsive.

First thing to try.. just to confirm this is the issue (i am pretty confident.. due to how the box works when the TV is off)..
is to look in your TV settings, and see if there is that mode which does the auto dimming, etc.  Try turning it OFF.. and see if you are able to use the rogers box properly.
Now.. you can leave this off and go on... but.. some people LIKE the feature and find it to bright otherwise..

Unfortunately.. its not really something FIXABLE per say.. as its the IR sensor built into the unit.. They would completely have to change the units right from the manufacturer 😞
(hopefully this has been reported to CISCO, so they can use a different brand sensor in the next boxes they release).

Only other options if you are keeping the box then... would be to MOVE the box, in a location where it likely isnt going to SEE the interfearance.... set futher back inside a TV cabnet so its out of view of the spray, etc.
(on my TV, i have the diming feature ON, and it doesnt effect mine.. but mine is in a vertica cabnet, about 3ft to the side.. and there is the side of the tv cabnet obscuring its view from the TV.)

Some others, have found out that sometimes putting say a THIN piece of paper (like wrapping tissue paper) over it, is enough to filter out the spray, but still allow the remote functions to go through.

Hope this helps.

I Plan to Stick Around

I also bouight the CEC less HDMI, and it works like a charm
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I also purchased the CEC less HDMI adapter and http://www.lindy-usa.com/hdmi-cec-less-adapter-female-41232.htmlmy unit works perfectly now.
I Plan to Stick Around

I bought this $20 adapter and my system now works as it should. http://www.lindy-usa.com/hdmi-cec-less-adapter-female-41232.html
I Plan to Stick Around

I bought thios $20 adapter and my system now works perfectly.
http://www.lindy-usa.com/hdmi-cec-less-adapter-female-41232.html

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Very interesting! Never knew such a thing existed.
Would allow cec to still be enabled on the tv/avr for other devices, just not the nb3

Now, we shouldn't HAVE TO do stuff like this and they should fix it.
But at least it's an option.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, all the adapter does is not pass through the cec comminication from the cable box to your AVR.

In effect what this does is stop the noise on the cec bus coming from the cable box and allows everyone else to talk again i.e the TV, AVR, PS4 etc

I've Been Around

I have had the exact same CEC problem and spent hours trying to figure out what I had changed when I hooked up my NB 3.0. Guess I will be purchasing a CEC-less HDMI cable as well. Thanks for your posts.

I Plan to Stick Around

I also have the same CEC problem, specifically for ARC (Audio Return Channel).  Since installing the NB3 I can no longer send audio from Netflix/Chromecast from my TV (Panasonic 65ZT60) back to my Onkyo receiver.  I tried to hack a solution by bending back Pin 13 in an HDMI cable this morning but didn't seem to work... I'm going to order one of the CEC less HDMI adapters to fix it but they are out of stock of course.

Gotta say it is pretty poor on Rogers that they've released a box out to the public that completely screws up many people's home theatre setups.  Smiley Mad

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats