Switching Inputs on Nextbox 3.0

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Switching Inputs on Nextbox 3.0

When I switch to a different input and try to switch back to TV after, it doesn't work.  I will be watching TV on input HDMI2, then when I switch to say HDMI3 for PS3, when I try to go back to HDMI2, there is no signal. If I re-start the box it will start working again. This only became a problem when I hooked up the Nextbox 3.0. I tried 2 different HDMI cables on the advice of Rogers, and it did the same thing for both of them.

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Switching Inputs on Nextbox 3.0

I am pretty sure i know what is causing this.

There seems to be a bug, with the nextbox 3.0's HDMI CEC

HDMI CEC is normaly used to allow auto switching between inputs, when you turn the end device on.

At least one other user has had the same issue as yours.. even when they dont normally use that feature... but its like the nextbox 3.0 is TRYING to and failing, and causing issues.

Try turning off any HDMI CEC features on your TV.. May be called different things based on the brand (veiralink, etc).

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the info! Do you think if I swap the box out it will fix the problem also?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

NOPE.. dont think switching will fix it.

Seems like its a global problem.. LIKELY in the software.
The box, at least from the manufacturers specs, says it supports this feature.. but the software may be breaking it.
Hopefully they can put out a fix for it, in some fassion.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your help. I tried what you said AND replaced the box, and it STILL doesn't work!  Back to my old very outdated Scientific American.  Very disappointed with Rogers and will be switching providers as soon as possible!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@nadine78 wrote:

Thanks for your help. I tried what you said AND replaced the box, and it STILL doesn't work!  Back to my old very outdated Scientific American.  Very disappointed with Rogers and will be switching providers as soon as possible!

Sounds so much like Rogers - the older the equipment, the better it works. I wonder if they will ever get their act together! Smiley Sad

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It can all depend on the TV, etc.. some hardware may work better with one vs another.

I used to have a similar issue on the 8300 as your problem here.. but it never happened with the 8642 with that TV.

While there are a few reports (at least here, etc) of this issue.. at least it is not wide spread.

Hopefully you dont run into issues with whatever other provider you go with. (as every providers hardware, may have issues, etc)

(and no, i am not saying this in defense of rogers.  I doesnt matter to me if someone switches or not.  But if you look around you can find hardware problems people report on every providers hardware)

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

NOPE.. dont think switching will fix it.

Seems like its a global problem.. LIKELY in the software.
The box, at least from the manufacturers specs, says it supports this feature.. but the software may be breaking it.
Hopefully they can put out a fix for it, in some fassion.

You're 1000% right Gdkitty.

The root cause is a shortcoming in the Nextbox 3.0 firmware.

The bios (firmware) controls hardware functionality and, as with motherboards in computers, the Nextbox 3.0 firmware needs to be edited and updated to recognize and interact with any OTHER hardware in any given situation.

It would not have been possible for the Nextbox 3.0 manufacturer to accurately predict what future hardware models (TVs etc) their equipment COULD be connected to.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
I Plan to Stick Around

No...im on my third box and eventally put mu older nextbox 2 back on agian,  it got very frustrating. 

I'm Here A Lot

I have the exact same issue nadine78.

Nothing we can do but hope for a firmware fix.