Stuttering and pixelation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Stuttering and pixelation

This problem started about same timeframe that the new menu was updated a few weeks ago. If I watch any channel and a scheduled recording starts, there is no problem, but then if a second scheduled recording starts, because only 2 tuners, the box will automatically switch from the channel I was watching to the 2nd recording channel and that is when the stuttering starts. The stuttering will continue until the show is complete. If I want the stuttering to stop, I just hit rewind for 2 seconds then press play and stuttering stops.

The recorded shows have NO Stuttering, they are all good.

The DCX3510-M has been rebooted numerous times - A Rogers tech was here and did hard reset on the box - problem continues.

I know it sounds a lot like maybe Hard drive or box issue, but I have spoken to four other Rogers customers from different postal codes here in town as well as my sister 6 miles away and the problem is the same for them.

So without being an advanced tech, I know that the problem is not on 5 different boxes, this is a Rogers system problem that is affecting numerous customers.

I think what is happening is that some people don't record much and they only noticed the issue a few times and they just don't want to waste time calling in.

I just called tech support this morning, spoke to Rogers agent in Moncton about another issue that voice was not synchronized on all channels and he had me reboot box. I asked if he was aware of the stuttering issue and he said no.

I have a feeling that we will have to live with this stuttering issue for months because Rogers has not even acknowledged that this problem exists. They will probably replace dozens of boxes in next few months which will not fix anything.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Lou_94:

As more is required of the PVR, the more signal may be required.  See the following post on Signal Strength. The link regarding signal strength doesn't apply to Atlantic Canada firmware though.  I'm not sure if you can see signal in your User Settings, but I've included a link for that too.  The signal issue could be at your home, or in your neighbourhood so make sure they check it properly.

The fact that the recording is fine and works fine if you REW a bit indicates no problem with the PVR itself.  Rewinding a few seconds to alleviate the issue doesn't sound like too bad a "workaround" if you can't get to the source of the problem.  Some of these boxes are a bit underpowered for the latest firmware and may have been pushed too far.  You could raise a ticked with Rogers as they may be able to do something in the next firmware update.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Setup

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for your help, I read thru the links that you provided, but I could not find the correct trick to get in the menu where I can check my signal strenght.I sure wish I could check it. Any help that anyone could provide on how to get to the signal strenght would be much appreciated. I have DCX3510-M and in Edmundston, New-Brunswick.

As I said before, I know it is common in this area because the other 4 people with same issue are living from 3 to 10 miles from me. I would not be surprised if this issue was affecting most of Edmundston town and surroundings.

Once again it's probably a known issue for Rogers, but since it is probably a complex issue for them to fix and will cost lots of $$$ , they will just keep telling people that this is a single user issue and replace the PVR Boxes and make plans for 6 months down the road when they have enough complaints and when the media steps in. I have worked in Tech support for another company for 9 years and I know how companies deal with issues that cost lots of $$$ to fix, they drag it along as long as possible.

I'm Here A Lot

I just found this link that works perfect with my DCX3510-M

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Configuration

Inband= 37.4dB-Good

Upstream=40dB

OBB status=SNR=23.3dB - Good

AGC=34%-Fair

As per the above instructions on that link, that means that signal might be too strong, they suggest adding splitter to bring down signal, so I will try that.

I'm Here A Lot

This morning again, the problem continues. I complained to Rogers customer service by email a few days ago and no reply yet. I spoke to different people here in town and we are at least 5 people with same problem.

The other people are not calling in the issue because they will get the same answers that I received so far, there is no problem with Rogers service. Very frustrating to be ignored.

I've Been Here Awhile

I've had stuttering tv off and on for over a year. I call Rogers they recommend restarting the box. Sometime it fixed it (short term) but by the next day the same issues appears. I can be watching a show.and half way through it'll start stuttering. I had a 8300hd box. Any ideas to solve this?

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@vanspek:

The 8300HDs are getting very long in the tooth, so I suspect an issue with the hard drive.  Do you hear any odd sounds from the drive like clicking, extra "seeking" by the heads, especially when the stuttering happens?

Does it happen at the same point in the recording - if you rewinde?  If so, then the issue may have been during recording and not during playback. You should be able to analyze which it is.

It could also be related to signal strength at your home or in your neighbourhood.  If you call Rogers again, have them check your signal to that box or in your neighbourhood carefully.  If it's low, then you may need a visit from a technican to fix the issue in your home or neighbourhood.

I've Been Here Awhile

Pixilization potential solutios

As someone who has been frequently frustrated by pixilization I stumbled on a simple solution that instantly resolved my situation and might help others. I simply went to setting on my digital Atlantic HD8300 and changed the set picture format to upconvert-2. Might be worth a try for others.