Soccer coverage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Soccer coverage

Only one Barclays Premier League game today (Aston Villa vs Chelsea) and Rogers isn't showing it. 5 HD sports channels of cycling. Nonsense on The Score. Premium Sportsnet World channel showing SPL for goodness sake. Since buying Satanta and The Score Rogers has reduced the quality and quantity of top level soccer coverage. You pay for HD cable then you pay an extra $18 a month for SNW and they can't show the ONLY BPL game of the day?! It's pathetic.

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Soccer coverage

I'm not sure I follow?  you dont subscribe to sport TEAMS wit rogers, you subscribe to a sports channel or a group of channels,   if your game is not aired on that specific channel, then the problem is you need to order the channel its aired on.  if im correct, the newspaper tells you which stations are airing specific matches,  look at the paper, and if you have that channel, then watch it, if you dont, see if you can order that channel, if the game is not telivized at all in this country, then theres nothing you can do, complaining to rogers wont fix it since theyre a BDU they dont choose what channels play what games.

I Plan to Stick Around

Could it be Rogeras did not own the rights for that game?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers is the Cable company, they wouldnt be the one holding the rights, its the network such as sportsnet, the score, tsn, rds, setanta, etc, these companies are the ones who hold the rights for the games.

I Plan to Stick Around

No, Rogers doesn't choose what broadcasters put on the channels but Rogers does choose the broadcasters, no? If so then they ARE responsible, in part, for the pathetic soccer coverage for their subscribers. Currently, none of the channels Rogers carries has good top level (Serie A, Permier, etc) soccer coverage. When you check online there's plenty of broadcasters carrying the games but none of the broadcasters are with Rogers. Why? I'm often having to stream these top level games, sometimes championship games, at a low quality when I'd rather watch them with my tv in hd.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

umm i hope you know rogers negociates the carriage deals with the Channels/network, but its solely the NETWORKS who are responsible for what games are played on the individual channels,  Rogers can not tell TSN to air a serie a game or a barkleys english premiere league game.  rogers or other cable/satellite and fibre optic iptv providers are NOT responsible for what is aired on the individual channels and i stand buy my post

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers can or can't choose the channels it carries? What I'm saying is Rogers can choose to carry channels like ESPN HD, the various AL JAZEERA SPORTS HD channels and all the various other channels around the world if they "negotiate" a deal for one of the soccer channels from across the pond for example. There's plenty of soccer channels around the world. Rogers simply has to negotiate the deal.

Rogers can't tell TSN what to air but Rogers can pick an alternative to TSN that carries soccer from around the world. Not that I dislike TSN but with no serious sports teams in the GTA, all they're good for is Formula 1.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actually your incorrect, sorry to inform you but various channels such as ESPN HD, AL JAZEERA SPORTS HD, and many more, are NOT authorized for distrobution in Canada by ANY cable or satalight dish provider. There is a governing body called the CRTC, you should read up on how channels are born, they need to apply for a licence and get approved by this governing body before they can be picked up by a Cable or satalight or IPTV provider.

Rogers has negociations already with the channels that are already allowed to be broadcast in canada, how many soccer games are played per week/weekend? maybe 10 matches?  most ppl wanna watch a game live, not repeat, so the channels have to air the one they will get the most bang for the buck. so Sportsnet chooses which games are aired on which stations, tsn, setanta, cbc, goal tv, rai, etc   its up to the specific stations and these games are picked months and months in advanced they are not decided at the last minute, there are other factors as well, such as advsertizing revenue, cost of the broadcasting rights, commercials, etc..

I Plan to Stick Around

I think anyone who watches tv knows of that papaer lion organization, or at least a paper lion when it comes to helping Canadian consumers.. So, I'm inccorect, from what I've been reading in other posts, I don't believe anyone who disagrees with you is ever correct about anything. I KNOW that they're not authorized. I also know nobody is trying to get them authorized that's part of my point. Why doesn't your blessed Rogers take a shot, or should I do it.

10 matches? In season there's more than I can count. I know because I have to stream the good ones in order to watch them.  I don't recall the last time a soccer game was on tsn (a real one). Setanta has almost nothing live of quality and is obscenely priced. (last time I check) Cbc? I don't recall the last time I saw something live on Goal. Rai is the only station of these mentioned that carry live quality games, non hd mind you. In a language I can't understand but still I pay for it as I get my weekly fix of one league. I don't consider MLS serious soccer so I don't count those games on any channel and thanks to MLSE's handling, soon to be minus a team in Toronto I would think.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think part of the point that pauly was trying to make.. its not really up to rogers from that way.

The forign channel, needs to apply to the CRTC to be allowed, if i understand the process.

I would think that a company like rogers could help them at least in the way of a 'sponsor' like when someone applys for citizenship, etc.. that there is someone wanting to have that channel.. but i think that is about all they can do.