Soccer coverage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Soccer coverage

Soccer - UEFA - National Teams playing for places in Europe 2020 - not on Canadian cable - suffer!

Ok - England beat the Czech 5-0! You don't need to watch live - just see the highlights somewhere with Russian commentary on your laptop later! 

No streaming in Canada either - use the time for something productive this weekend as it is the international break. You'll get some crumbs on Sat March 30 -.when Barclays resumes. And..stop whining...no soccer for you on Canadian cable...there's curling, however!

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm just sad-trying to let go of the anger-tough job-we all need to re-position the subject. Let's start by what unites us as the truth. Our government is for soccer gaining places in our immediate future and consolidating gains. We witness the scope of all of our athletically inclined youth to practice it at a WORLD competitive level.The path goes through Europe. The best strive to play there, regardless of nationality.Canadians need to watch European soccer as part of this purpose.We-the rest of Canadians who believe what I stated, piggyback the ultimate purpose. ALL of us-we watch and enjoy together, we want to spend our money on watching the best LIVE, we always think further towards Canada as a competitive soccer nation. There is no way we can afford 1 step forward and 2.steps back. Having dropped UEFA club competition and now Europe 2020 are two unacceptable steps for Canadian Cable.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

yup this is very unfortunate, someone needs to step up and solve this issue

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cacat wrote:

...Having dropped UEFA club competition and now Europe 2020 are two unacceptable steps for Canadian Cable.

Just to be clear, it's not "Canadian Cable" that has dropped soccer.  It's the "broadcasters" (which may or may not be owned by one of the service providers (Cable, Satellite, IPTV) - who simply pass along the signals).  It looks like even OTT providers (DAZN for example) don't think it's worth providing in Canada.  It would be interesting to know how many people watched this sort of programming in the past.  For example, this year many of the IndyCar races are not airing in the "traditional manner", but looking at the past only about 50,000 Canadians were watching, which doesn't compare well with other sports programming.

Part of the problem is that the traditional way of watching TV has fragmented so much due to cord cutting, etc, along with piracy that goes hand in hand with a significant percentage of the cord cutters.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I think @57 has nailed it. Even though soccer has become a very popular sport in Canada, following it on cable TV, except for major events, is not really possible. Because the rights holders are such powerful world players, broadcast rights  for cable companies for all the games must be extremely costly.  Even without cord cutting, loyal soccer fans subscribe to various on-line services to catch the games.  But unless it's an app available on my  Smart TV, I won't be watching on a 15" and certainly not a 2" screen. A similar situation has happened in the world of bicycle racing. At one time I recorded and watched the classics like the Tour de France, Giro d’Italia and La Vuelta a España, but now only the Tour is carried on Rogers Cable.  The others and the spring classics are only watched by well-heeled fans on various on-line services. Motor racing has suffered the same fate on cable since the demise of Speed. While NASCAR fans are still catered to, I'm not seeing regular episodes of WRC like we had on Speed. It's all about the money.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

I was banned from starting a new topic on Soccer Coverage on Canadian Cable TV. It makes perfect sense - you can let off some steam around here but not ask the real questions or inform others of their diminished status or value for money helped when it comes to the above mentioned topic.

So - whats uso? Who you goine call? Go compliene Citiolle?

I Plan to Stick Around

Just herad the announcement on DAZN. As usual, I am surprised by the lack of reaction.Goodbye Barclays Premier from Limeyland. All sold to DAZN - np more European soccer(bloody football) on Canadian Cable TV.
I Plan to Stick Around

This is what happens when a group of people do not watch enough and also have the wrong demographics. You get a Kyle Dubas type at Bell to talk to his buddy at Rogers and they drop European soccer ON ALL CABLE TV, from this British Crown Colony, masquerading as a country. We still have MLS however, so we can see Zlatan at the top of his game here on TSN(if you subscribe, but most of us do)

I've Been Here Awhile

Iam very disappointed that it appears  I cannot watch British and European

football on a channel with rogers. I could watch some games last season on SN for which I paid extra.  Then over the summer DAZN came out and I subscribed to it but I had technicial issues and had to cancel.  Are there any other networks which offer British football to Canadians?

Hello @monawall,

Welcome to the Rpgers Community! The 2019-20 Premier League season is underway, and the new season brings major changes, particularly in Canada.

This season, the only way to catch any Premier League games in Canada is on DAZN. The streaming service, which exclusively broadcasts the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and Seria A in Canada, and more recently acquired the Canadian broadcast rights to EPL matches.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats