So... when did Whole Home PVR just "start working"?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So... when did Whole Home PVR just "start working"?

I have quite a few PVRs in my house. Most of my NextBox 2.0 units are actually running SARA software, since it's so much faster. However one that doesn't get used much is running the "new" software, and I also have a Nextbox 3.0 with the latest software.

Only last night, I noticed that the Whole Home PVR has suddenly started working on its own. I only noticed because one of the boxes is usually empty (live TV buffer only), and I actually recorded something on it... and then noticed the listing on the OTHER box.

I've never had whole home PVR enabled, and always thought it was supposed to require some filter or something. But, between those two boxes, it's working fine. When did this happen??

I'm suddenly recalling that a short while ago the power LEDs on the front panel displays started remaining on when those boxes were off, something they never used to do. Related to this?

***Edited Lables***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: So... when did Whole Home PVR just "start working"?

In order for Whole Home to work, you need a MoCA filter on your incoming cable.  That could be a separate filter, or, the splitter or amplifier could have a MoCA filter built in.  If you look at your incoming cable, look for MoCA stamped on the splitter or powered ampifier. If you don'' see that, then other users on the same cable line could delete your recordings.  I think that has come up in the forum before.  Her is what the Antronix MoCA filter looks like:

http://www.antronix.com/antronix-Products-Satellite.php

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Double check on those boxes... as well as the power light.. there should be a little HOUSE icon if the whole home has been installed.

I am wondering if for whatever reason.. the software was pushed out to your boxes.

BUT.. as datalink mentioned.. you really need that MOCA filter installed then.
Pretty much, what it does, is help create a little home network there on the cable lines.

The problem is, that WITHOUT this.. guess what, your network is potentially open to ANYONE else in the area.
So if there is someone else out there who has the same problem.. guess what? They can see your boxes and vice versa.
We have helped a few on here who were saying random recordings were showing up they didnt set, their own disapearing, etc.. ended up they where viewing/someone else was viewing theirs and changing them!

I Plan to Stick Around

Okay, you're right, it's not actually the power LED I'm seeing, but a little house icon just below the LED.

I have not checked for a filter (isn't the demarc locked?), but for now I only see the two correct boxes showing under PVRs.

So, it IS weird that this just suddenly started working without my request...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While the filter CAN be in the demarc.. not always.

In most cases, i have seen them just inside your house in the elec pannel, etc where your service comes into the house.

I would give them a call... see if they are able to UNINSTALL it, without there being a problem (say removing recordings, reseting the box, etc).
IF there are any doubts.. i would then ask them to send someone out.. to put a MOCA filter on for you.

(i would ask them to do it for free)

I Plan to Stick Around

I can assure you that no one from Rogers has touched the internal wiring in many years. There was a tech here for a cable modem hookup in November, who also did nothing to the internal wiring, but did look in the demarc. However, I'm pretty sure the house icon didn't start appearing until quite some time after that. I can't rule out that he didn't do something, but he wasn't here for cable TV so I can't imagine he would've.

If this requires a whole different software version, how would both boxes just "get it"?

I'm kind of flashing back now to like a month ago, when the one box seemed to have a software update problem that it couldn't get past (locking up without finishing), and I ended up having to remove the eSATA drive before it would actually finish - and after that, the drive worked fine.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its sort of an addon software..

Normally, its something specialty that the techs have to call in and get pushed out.. 90% of the people i have talked to on the phone cant even do it.

HOW or WHY it got pushed out to you? Who knows.. Smiley Sad

I Plan to Stick Around

I had the same situation a couple of months ago.

It started when I got an e-mail from Rogers confirming the changes that I had requested to my services. There was no difference in charges. I called in to see what was going on and the CSR confirmed that there had been no service changes applied. Mystery.

Shortly afterwards I started to see "phantom" recordings scheduled on the PVR list. I rebooted, shut off, tried deleting etc to no avail.

Then my wife came in and said that these were recordings that she had scheduled on the upstairs PVR - another 9865.

I called in to tech support again and was told that this was happening because I was using a WHPVR setup. I protested that no, I wasn't, but the tech confirmed that she could see that I had an active WHPVR. Since I didn't want it - the tech "turned it off" and the phantom scheduled items disappeared from my list.

Then I got another e-mail confirming the changes to my services that I had requested 

I just recheked my cabling and there are no added filters or splitters (for the past several years) The only tech staff here were chasing down flaky modem activity - and didn't touch the wiring at all.

Maybe they've changed the system to enable remote installation.