So, so confused - digital/analog

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

So, so confused - digital/analog

So we have three TVs.  Two of them were hooked up to Rogers Digital Boxes, I'm talking about the big ones made by "Digital Atlanta".  One other TV was on the wall in the kitchen, with seemingly no digital box or digital adapter.  It gets channels 2 through 45 (I live in Ottawa).

Just today I decided to downgrade my digital package from VIP to "Digital Basic".  I called Rogers, no problem, the switch is made.  I notice I'm no longer getting HGTV, as expected.  I unplugged my two digital boxes and brought them in the Rogers retail outlet.  They said, Oh, are you cancelling your cable? Me: No.   Rogers:  Oh, did you have a third box at home?  Me: No.  Rogers: Oh, well you need to keep one of your digital boxes, or you'll have no cable.

Um, ok. I return ONE of the two digital boxes, go home, and turn on my two, formerly connected to digital box TVs.  Cable now plugged directly into the back of the TV - I'm getting channels 2 through 45, which actually seems like more than what I should be getting under Digital Basic, but whatever, maybe it takes a day for the change to take effect.

But I actually wanted to return BOTH digital boxes to save myself the $5.49 rental times two. Can I not do that?  Is the digital box just for getting HD this and that and a few time shifted CBC channels?

Then I remember Rogers had long ago sent me a "Digital Adapter" for my 3rd TV, which I had never unboxed.  Why would I, my TV in the kitchen was getting everything it was supposed to.  I plug in the digital adapter out of curiousity - after several minutes, and trust me I did it right, set to channel 3, changed my TV to channel 3, all I see is a message saying "There has been an interruption to your cable service, please contact your cable company".  Unplug the adapter, re-connect cable to the back of my TV and everything is back to channels 2 - 45.

Do I actually need a digital adapter?  What am I getting if I actually use one that works properly?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: So, so confused - digital/analog

Ok, a few things to go over.

You do not need to have one of the big digital boxes. You could return it.

Analog, is VERY hard to filter out what they should and should have, so sometimes you will get more than what your paying for.
Analog though you might not get all on that range, and every month more and more will be gone forever.

For now if the straight into your tv, has the channels you want then do it that way for now, but once those channels are gone, then you would have to use the dta to be able to get them.

The issue with the dta you have, sounds like while likely you have it, it's not fully activated on the account, you would have to call in to have them do it.

I'm a Senior Advisor

You need to call Rogers to get your DTA authorized when you get the message on the screen.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Okay so basic cable is channels 2-28, plus a couple of other ones.  But on Analog, if you previously had more channels, a technicain has to physically come to your house and put a blocker on the line coming from outside to filter out the rest of the channels.  It used to be that it would take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for someone to come and do that, so you'd still have the channels for a little while.  Lately, what I've seen is that since they are phasing out anolog, they don't bother sending anyone to do this anymore. The digital signal however will be only the channels you're subscribed to.

I'm a Senior Advisor

They stopped putting filters on analog cable years ago. One reason is that as channels and packages kept changing, they just couldn't keep up and zillions of custom filters would have been required. Mostly people would just watch the channels their packages contained, but sometimes they'd come across a channel they weren't supposed to get, but didn't tell Rogers for fear they would lose it. I remember "Me TV" comprised 16 channels, including Speed, but in my area the infrastructure could only support 10 of these, not including Speed, so I didn't subscribe to the package. Later all 16 channels became available and I found I was getting Speed on 55. Of course, I didn't tell Rogers in case they sent a tech to change the filter and block it. Smiley Wink However, by that time, maybe they weren't adding new filters anymore anyway. But those analog filters have no effect on digital signals. Which digital channels you receive is controlled by the cable company at the head end.

I've Been Around

So I was useing a ditigal adapter on my cable for a while until I decided to plug my cable straigt into the TV.  I seemed to get more channels through the analog cable but its a bit slow and i perfer to have a guide.  Is there a glitch or am I not reciving all my channles through my box? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I will have to take a step back to explain a little.

With analog.. all the stations are broadcast out.. there is on on/off on particular ones, etc.. ALL channels are pushed out.
For analog users.. depending on your cable package.. they were SUPOSED to install FILTERS on the box at the street, which they would CUT DOWN/Filter out the number of channels, to the ones based on whatever package you are paying for (basic, VIP, etc).

WIth digital.. since its all electronic.. the BOX can be set to deside what should be allowed through (decoded) and what not, based on your package.

That you are getting a few channels you DONT with the box... will mean that filter has been removed (it has in most cases now), but they are LIKELY outside of your package your paying for. (technically is stealing... kind of.. one of those grey areas now, as they are the ones that removed the filter)

(only other thing would be.. is IF you are paying for a higher package, and only have the DTA basic basic box, you would only get 1-60... any other digital box, should give you ALL that are available for your cable package)

I'm a Senior Advisor

@cmano2014 wrote:

So I was useing a ditigal adapter on my cable for a while until I decided to plug my cable straigt into the TV.  I seemed to get more channels through the analog cable but its a bit slow and i perfer to have a guide.  Is there a glitch or am I not reciving all my channles through my box? 

If you're getting a guide with a digital adapter, then yes, you have a glitch, as the digital adapter doesn't have guide capabilities.
Plugging a cable straight into the TV should give you no more than 20ish channels, as most have been removed from analogue.  Can you tell us what box you were using previously?

I'm a Senior Advisor

What Gdkitty said. You may be seeing some analog channels you're not subscribed to because they're not getting filtered out. I don't believe Rogers updates the filters anymore, but removes them so as not to interfere with the digital signal.

But if you go to the Guide channel (Ch 10 for me), you'll see which channels are analog or digital. Analog will have an "A" after the m and digital will have a "D".

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Lurker wrote:

If you're getting a guide with a digital adapter, then yes, you have a glitch, as the digital adapter doesn't have guide capabilities.

Both digital and analog show a non-interactive guide on Ch 10 (for me).