Slow response with remote

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Slow response with remote

My HD remote takes about 12-15 seconds to turn on/off the TV/PVR. New batteries installed. It used to take a few seconds.

***Edited labels***

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Slow response with remote

The time it takes to shut down has nothing to do with the remote. It should happen right away. Does your TV turn on and then you see the picture 12 to 15 seconds after? The Nextbox is normally slower to react compared to the older boxes. However, the recent firmware changes that Rogers pushed to the old boxes may have also slowed them down. Easy way to see where the problem lies is to manually turn on the TV and then manually turn on the box. If it takes it about the same amount of time as you mentioned, then it is the box. If you get a picture right after you manually turn the box on, then the remote may indeed be the culprit.
I Plan to Stick Around

There have been major lowdown and lagging issues happening with this hardware for months now.  About a month ago they finally seemed to fix it with an update but after about a week we are back to the slow grinding garbage.  It takes many seconds for this thing to react when pushing buttons on the remote.  Many times we think it didn't register and press another button only to have nothing happen for 5-10 seconds, after which it catches up and does all the button presses at once.  This has to be some kind of joke.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Yep.

The IPG response was dreadfully slow for a while, then it got fixed, and then about a week ago it went back to being slow(er)

... but not as unusable as it was a few weeks ago.

When new updates come almost nightly, it doesn't seem likely that any time is allotted is for proper testing.

"If an infinite number of monkeys were left to bang on an infinite number of typewriters, sooner or later they would accidentally reproduce the complete works of William Shakespeare" ... I wonder how many monkeys and how much time is needed to get the IPG working satisfactory :-p

I Plan to Stick Around

I concur - old boxes were sooo much more responsive. My Nextbox PVR and 2 extenders have horrible lag - 5 seconds between button pushes - almost unusable. I am just about to return the whole lot and switch to Bell Fibe. What a joke!
I'm a Trusted Advisor

That is how i & my girlfriend feel Sheerluck. The response is really bad & it takes a few seconds to even go to the channel. I recorded " Jersey Shore" last night. Went to watch it with my girlfriend & wanted to skip the commercials, yea right. we pressed Fast forward & tried pressing stop & play. Nothing would stop it. This happens on a lot of shows / movies we record. This is making me want to switch more.

You will have others telling you " IT may be the remote not working properly or something near you that is causing it from not working properly". I really do not believe that seeing as i have tested this out with nothing in the room & others in other areas are having this issue as well.

I am waiting until my contract is up in Sept. Switching after. I am not sticking around with Rogers cable to have issues like this.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

The slow channel response time is definately back.

But the worst lag ever has got to be when you _Cancel_ a scheduled series ... after confirming yes, it stays on that bloody greyed-out screen for sooooo long!

Strange also is that this doesn't happen when you _Modify_ a series?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Agreed. It jut stays on that screen for a while until it decides to come off. Annoying i must say. We are in 2012. I am sure they can fix this..
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Speedy, it is much quicker if you cancel from the guide. Just go to the time the series is scheduled and press OK. It gives you the option to cancel there and it is much faster than the list way.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wonder if there are other updates.. that i did or didnt get.

I just had my wife try at home.. there is the usualy second lag on the channel number input (thats been there from the begining), but she says there is no extra lag on any of the other stuff.. was able to FF and resume playing just fine.