Signal Strength

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Signal Strength

Im in Kitchener, Ontario and continue to have what I believe to be a weak signal coming to my house. The symptoms that I continue to experience is " pixelating " or "studdering" picture while watching tv. I have had two tech's out to the house. The first guy said the signal coming to the house was weak and other than running a new line ( over  head ) to my house, he didn't know what to do. I'm in a relatively new development area ( ~ 6 years old ) and everything is underground. They sent a second guy out and he installed a larger "booster" which he said would solve all the issues. It hasn't. Still get pixelation.

Anyone else having these issues ? 

***Added Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Signal Strength

Lots of people have signal issues. If the S/N ratio is poor, or the signal is poor on the line, then a booster may not solve the problem. Check with your neighbours to see if they have similar issues. 

If you boost a signal that is garbage, you can't make up for the garbage with a booster.  Check out the following FAQ on checking your signal since you didn't say what the model of STB you have.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/17719-57-faq-tips-sa-cisco-stbs-also-pace.h...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wpd1 there is a slightly different way to look at this, and that is to use the internet modem's signal levels to guage the overall cable health and signal quality on the line.  Log into your modem, navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and past that into a post.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the tables, so you don't have to use a screen capture.  Never know what's going to turn up until you have a look.  Its very possible that there is some issue between the local tap, at the utility pole, and the CMTS which is down the road somewhere.  If so, running a new line from the tap might not help at all.  It won't make it any worse, but it may not help either. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers sent yet another tech to the house. Checked the tap on the street and found an issue with signal degradation resulting from distribution across more taps than required for my street. Handed out over to maintenance to adjust. Couple days later, maintenance spent an afternoon adjusting the taps and came up with a temporary solution. The maintenance guy said there's still interference that requires a full dig to the hydro station to eliminate. Odd since this is a relatively new area (about 8 years old). I've been living with weak signal for 6 years and only now does a tech find the problem. Now, we'll see if the temporary solution maintains and how long it takes for them to permanently resolve the issue.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hello

Was this issue ever fully resolved yet?

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation