Shut off auto-powerdown of the PVR Harddrive

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Shut off auto-powerdown of the PVR Harddrive

I recently got a new HD/PVR box and am mostly happy with it. I've noticed from time to time that the PVR Harddrive will power down and a grey box will appear on my TV screen with the message "Press any button to continue watching TV". When a button is pressed I get another message on my screen saying "One moment please, PVR harddrive powering up." I've gone through the settings and can't find anything to disable this to stop it from powering down by itself. I checked the Timer settings and they are all disabled. How can I stop the PVR harddrive from powering down automatically?

***Edited labels***

I'm Here A Lot

Re: Shut off auto-powerdown of the PVR Harddrive

There is no option on the PVR to disable the shut down.  Rogers told me that all the PVR's have to shut down/reboot to load the new info for the week every night.  This happens from 12 am till about 6am.

I'm Here A Lot

I heard it's simply a precautionary measure to ensure the hard drive isn't constantly spinning when it's not being viewed.  i guess it's set to happen at a certain time every night, and unfortunately there is no way to disable it Smiley Sad

I'm a Senior Advisor

Sadly it's a bad "precautionary measure" as hard drives are designed to be constantly on and never shutdown. Drives fail more often if they are turned on and off. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm not sure if my issue is related to this thread or not...I'm currently using the Music feature of Navigator every day so I can have music playing in the background while I work. I've noticed that after about 4-5 hours, the box will automatically turn off. Is there any way I can stop this from happening? There's nothing in the Settings tab that deals with this. 

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hello @beaches,

Hope the following answers your question Smiley Happy

Why does my Set-top Box automatically turn off?

Part of the Canadian Pay-TV Set-top Box Energy Efficiency Voluntary Agreement (STB CEEVA) we have implemented a power saving feature which turns off the STB after 4 hours of inactivity. 

It cannot be disabled. You can press a button on the remote to continue for another 4 hours before the first 4 hours are up. For example, press volume or switch the channel to a different one and then back etc. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Is this something implemented on all PVRs or just those with the newest version of Navigatr? As far as I can tell, my SA8300HD drive spins all the time, but it's very quiet and I can't tell unless I put my ear to it. However, I've heard in the past that there was firmware that had them spin down. All I know is it's always worked for me without any delays. But I've lately been reading about the Nextbox 3.0 with the newest Navigatr stopping in the middle of watching a show and several reports of the PVR just freezing and becoming unresponsive, requiring a power cycle reboot. Is that because of the auto-powerdown?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hi @OLDYELLR,

This is specific to Nextbox (Navigatr and RTN) and it's just a timer that will turn off the box due to inactivity after 4 hours. It's not related to the other issues you are reading about. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I have a NetBox 3 PVR, still running on the old IPG Guide, that has been pretty solid for about a year and a half.  However, recently it's started randomly rebooting and downloading something while we are in the middle of watching TV.  The first time it happened about last Sunday I expected it to come back with Navigatr installed.  Thankfully it wasn't.  Then it happened again last night (Friday) about 6:30 pm and then again this morning about 10:30 am.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm starting to think Rogers is affecting my experience with the old IPG guide so that when I do get upgraded (or downgraded) to Navigatr I won't find it as much of a downgrade as the rest of the users that have been posting on this forum.

I've Been Here Awhile

Bummer! I listen to the Music station all night long, and wake up in the middle of the night to a "DEAD" room!

Then I have to get out of bed, go turn on the lights, find my glasses ( so I can see the tiny remote numbers! ) and then turn the P.V.R. back on, and scroll back through the darned "guide" to find the very same music station,... all over again! Smiley Surprised(   And THIS,... is a great idea for a P.V.R.?  Geez!..at LEAST!..give us the option to bypass this nonsensical "Feature".