Shared FTTH

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Shared FTTH

Bell just dug up my neighborhood and now I have FTTH. Do Rogers and Bell share this line or is it Bell only? I noticed that Rogers was digging up some nearby neighborhoods this summer as well. Of coarse a Bell salesman showed up not long after they finished the area.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Shared FTTH

rogers and bell are competitors, so their lines are separate.  The only thing they would ever share are vendors aka third party people to do some of the ground work.   perhaps a vendor who digs trenches for bell can also be the same one who digs trenches for rogers.   some times a vendor has a competitors logo on their vehicle so it does not mean the actual company is doing the work, it could also mean both companies are using one contractor to dig the trenches in the ground to save on costs, why rip up grass and do it again in a month when they can run both conduit in one shot and save money.

I Plan to Stick Around

Bell spent the whole summer digging up my neighborhood so I guess I can look forward to Rogers doing the same in the future.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As discussed in the following thread, Bell (contractors) did the underground work for Rogers.  If they lay conduit instead of just fibre, then it should be possible to easily pull additional fibre, or it may have even been duplicated at the time if there was some forethought...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Time-For-Takeoff/m-p/435807#M55208

It's also possible for Rogers contractors to do work for Bell. In many cases, even though the truck may say "Bell" or "Rogers", it can be a contractor and not provider employees doing the work.

Just to confuse matters more, although the local infrastructure is usually totally independent by provider, sometimes Bell and/or Rogers may get their original signals from a single source and even use Shaw to get western feeds, etc.  It makes economic sense when there is no impact on the final product.  IIRC Rogers Atlantic gets some of its signals via Bell infrastructure. 

I Plan to Stick Around

There are Bell tags on the line outside my house. I assume Rogers would not use it.

I'm a Regular

The physical lines outside your home are provider-specific. If it’s a Bell fibre line, then it’s Bell service and Rogers would not use that. If you truly have fibre right to your home, there’s nothing better. Bell’s GPON infrastructure coupled with fibre right to your home is light years ahead of Rogers’ coax and DOCSIS. Even if Rogers were to upgrade your area, it likely would not be fibre to the home...it will likely just be network segmentation where a fibre/coax node serves fewer homes for better performance in the neighbourhood, but it’s still NOT as good as FTTH. If you have access to FTTH and can get a good deal on a TV/Internet package, there’s no way you should still be messing around with cable.
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the response. That’s what I was hoping to hear before I made the big switch. 

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation