Setup whole home PVR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Setup whole home PVR

Hi, I have just switched from Bell to Rogers. I have been looking, to no avail so far, on how to set up the 8642 as a whole Home PVR. I was told by a Rogers rep when I signed up that I would be able to pause, play etc from the 8642 to my 4642 HD receiver. Thanks in advance for your help.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Setup whole home PVR

You have to have somemone come out and set it up, a filter needs to be set up on the house (so your neibours cant watch your recorded stuff :P)

As well as this filter, they will enable something on the account which will activate the feature on your box.

This feature costs nothing more per month, but they usualy charge $50 for the filter install.

I've Been Here Awhile

Great thanks for the info. I have an install of telephone and internet on Tuesday so I am hoping they will install and set up the whole home network.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If he tech does not have that on his list he can't do it.
Call in today or tomorrow, asking for it. Tell them there is a guy scheduled already, and to add it to the call. That way he tech will have the filter, and the back end will be prepared.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm looking at getting the Whole Home PVR. I currently have one NextBox 3.0 HDPVR and 5 NextBox HD terminals. From talking with a rep they said the installer may need to access each room where I have a HD terminal. However, I'm currently having some rennovations done so the rooms where the HD terminals will go are gutted. Can I just give the installer the terminals that will go into those rooms? How will the installer know if he needs to access the rooms or not?

I'd like to get this sorted before I call into order so I'll know if I should go ahead or wait until the renos are done.

Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Hello @John-Paul

I would say wait until the renovations are done.

@Gdkitty  @OLDYELLR What do you guys think?

RogersAsif

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would wait for any install such as that until the renos are complete.  Having said that your plans should have included installing structured wiring which is a bundle consisting of two RG-6 cables for satellite or cable, one Cat 5e cable for data and Cat 3, possibly Cat 5e for telephones.  That bundle runs from the basement or utility room structured wiring cabinet to each room where those services are required. I would run a couple runs to each room and proably two or three runs to any location that would be used as a multimedia center.  I would also consider running low voltage conduit which is a flexible cabble conduit to an empty electrical box for future growth.   You never know what the future will bring for cable or fibre requirements.  There are different structured wiring bundles available so I would look for one containing Cat 6 ethernet, personal opinion of course.  With the cables terminated and set to go, setting up satellite, cable, internet or telephone services throughout the home is very easy to accomplish.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would generally agree with datalink.

As well as making sure you have the RIGHT wiring in place in the first place.

Sure.. you could have them set up the boxes before hand.. make sure the software is set up, etc..
BUT.. then you you go to plug them in.. and you find there is a signal loss, issue, etc on one or more rooms, etc.

Finish the rooms, with the right cabling, then make sure they come in and set it up right, check the signal in each room, etc.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@John-Paul wrote:

I'm looking at getting the Whole Home PVR. I currently have one NextBox 3.0 HDPVR and 5 NextBox HD terminals. From talking with a rep they said the installer may need to access each room where I have a HD terminal. However, I'm currently having some rennovations done so the rooms where the HD terminals will go are gutted. Can I just give the installer the terminals that will go into those rooms? How will the installer know if he needs to access the rooms or not?

I'd like to get this sorted before I call into order so I'll know if I should go ahead or wait until the renos are done.

For whole home setup, the tech needs to verify that all boxes have downloaded the WHPVR software, and that they are hooked up to the WH network, meaning, he needs to check the boxes at their final location to make sure of things like signal strength.

Wait until the renos are over.

As an aside, I could be wrong, but you might only be able to hook 4 terminals up to one PVR....never mind.  The max teminals is 7 so you should be good.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'd like to get whole hom PVR set up but I keep receiving conflicting information. Some Rogers CSR tell me the technician just needs to acess the box outside my house where the cable splits into TV & Internet connection but other CSRs tell me the technician needs to access every room in the house with a cable box. I have 5 Nextbox HD Terminals and 1 Nextbox 3.0 HD PVR. The cable for the individual rooms splits off near where the main line enters the house. It was wired up by Rogers a few years agowith an amplifier.

I've search through these forums but can't find anything recent describing the actual process other than "a tech will come out to your house". 

Does anyone know what the actual process is? It matters to me as it'll involve having someone at home and possibly locking up my dogs too.