Seting up a used HD PVR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Seting up a used HD PVR

Have been looking at buying a used Rogers 8300 HD PVR and a Rogers HD receiver on Kijji. Does anyone have any experience in geting used set top boxes authorized from Rogers on their account? What hoops and difficulties should I expect from Rogers?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Seting up a used HD PVR

Rogers will only activate the box if the serial number is listed in their database. So this should be checked prior to purchase. The previous owner, of course, will also had to have deactivated the box from their Rogers account. There are some cases of unsuspecting customers that have purchased boxes that originally came from someone other than Rogers only to discover that Rogers will not activate.

I've Been Around

where can i find the serial number on my box

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello bertm30

It should be either on the back side of the box or sometimes on the bottom of the box.
I'm an Advisor

bertm30:

I've had both an 8300HD PVR and a Nextbox 3. In both cases, the serial number is on the back. The serial number is all characters (no numbers ironically). On both of my boxes the SN starts with SA.and they are 9 characters long.

I'm a Senior Advisor

The serial number of the 8300HD is on the back, right above where the cable connects. (When you call, they'll tell you where to look anyway.) When you call Rogers, the automated phone menu will take you to re-authorizing the box, which is not what you want. You need to speak to a live person for this.

Something else that's not obvious is that you need to set up the picture formats using the HDTV Setup Wizard, or you may get streched pictures. You do this with the PVR off and the TV on. Press Guide and Info together on the front of the box and follow the prompts on the screen.

Oh, unless you find a really good deal on Kijiji, the one on Shopping Channel is pretty good right now. I got my 8300HD $20 off and the shipping was free. And it has a 2-year warranty.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Around

Hi,

Need Help! I got a HD PVR 3.0 nextbox from kijiji and turns out the box is linked to a cancelled account and Rogers will not activate it. I tried calling support but no help.

The person I got it from has not replied back. The phone is out of service. (Looks like I got scammed!)

What should I do? Can something be done?

I really need Rogers to help me on this as the box was $200.

I wanted to add another TV on my subscription and avoid the rental for the PVR.

Thank you!

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hello @gomcoite,

From what I understand, the PVR is probably showing that it's tied to that owner and it's his property. Normally the original owner has to call in and make this change. Keep trying to contact him. Unfortunately that's all I can really suggest at this point. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I've Been Around

Could anyone provide guidance on how I can deactivate my PVR? Which number to call, what dept to ask for?

Retired Moderator RogersGabrielle
Retired Moderator

Good afternoon @youngn,

Do you own the box you are trying to deactivate or is it a rental from Rogers? If you are renting the box you can return it to any Rogers Plus store and that will remove it from your account.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you need any further assistance.