Scheduling a recording

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Scheduling a recording

It's not a Rogers problem, but originates with TSN. I'll usually schedule F1 qualifying and races as soon as they appear 6 days ahead in the Guide or using the search function. Then half-way through the week TSN will switch the broadcast to a different channel and I end up with a recording of Sports Centre instead.  TSN is not to be trusted. Always check your scheduled recordings against the Guide a day before they're due to be safe.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

Never had an issue with Bell.
If the title has nascar practice it would rec if it had nascar race same, didn't matter if it switched times or days. Rogers has to be word for word. Bell puts the info about the event in the info area not the title of the event. Once you set practice, qualifying & race you don't miss any.

I'm a Senior Advisor

If Sportsnet schedules a race on one channel on Monday, then moves it to another channel half-way through the week after you've set a recording on the original channel, do you mean to say Bell would reset your recording to the new channel automatically? That's amazing! I guess that's a plus for Bell. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have outlined a workaround for the F1 races/qualifying, as outlined in the following link:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/127977-web-app-scheduling-anyp...

This obviously doesn't work for everything and only works if your programme airs on a channel that it has been on before.   If Bell does actually take a different channel into account, then that indeed is an advantage, but I'm not sure that's the case - can you actually record a programme on "any channel, any time" on Bell?

The Rogers "name" issue, along with many other issues, have been reported in the IPG inconsistencies thread, link below:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/IPG-Inconsistencies/td-p/350863

I've Been Around

How frequently do you have to set up daily recordings of the same programme.  Often when I go to recordings, these regular recordings are no longer being made & I have to set them up again, having missed at least one?

I'm a Senior Advisor

@SkerrittIf the regular daily program you want to record always has exactly the same name each day and appears flagged as "new" in the IPG, you sholdn't have a problem.  But even if the title changes even slightly and it isn't flagged "new" I can set it to record each day in that time slot with my SA8300HD. You don't say which PVR you have. Newer models may no longer have that capability.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I defer to @57 on explaining that issue.  He has very strong grasp on all of the boxes and their IPG's and how to deal with the issues or small changes in the title, or even different date or time due to rescheduling, even though there are areas of dealing that which he openly acknowledges are an ongoing challenge for him.

Others who have developed their own ways to deal with this issue want to pop in.  Recording is generally all set by my wife now and she grumbles when her show doesn't record, and my response, "don't get me started on that one!!".

Hope someone has a solution that sort of works for you and hopefully works consistently.  I haven't found one to date, but others seem to have some excellent strategies.

Scheduling and recordings with ever changing IPG menu items, the never ending story!!

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Skerritt : As stated by @BS above, there certainly are issues with some recordings.  Have a look at the following "IPG Inconsistencies" thread discussing a large number of issues, as well as possible workarounds and some explanations for the issues:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/IPG-Inconsistencies/td-p/350863 Posts 1, 3, 15, etc

In answer to your question, I record about 1000-2000 recordings a year using a combination of "new", "anytime" "timeslot" "single" etc options depending on what works best for a particular programme based on experience.  If something only airs once a week, I use the anytime option. If it only occurs once on a particular day, I use the anytime, on this day option.  I rarely use timeslot since the times change sometimes by only a minute and then your recording is missed.  Using this combination, I probably only miss a couple of programmes per year, but I've been at this for a while... 

The IPG certainly has errors, name changes (even one letter change can throw things off), etc.  I don't think Rogers will spend  much more time on the Digital TV IPG (for Navigatr and SARA firmware).  I believe they are concentrating on Anyplace and IgniteTV (IPTV).  I have noticed that Anyplace often has the correct information when it's incorrect for Navigatr on my PVR, as discussed in the Inconsistencies thread...

Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 9 in conversation