Saving shows recorded on PVR to an external hard drive

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Saving shows recorded on PVR to an external hard drive

Hi - If you have a free HDMI port on your TV can you not put a cable splitter on the coaxial cable leading to the old PVR then lead one input coaxial cable to each recorder (i.e. one to the old PVR and one to the netbox).  Then connect the netbox to a free hdmi input on your TV - this way you ought to be able to flip from the PVR to the Netbox simply by choosing "Input Source" on your TV.  That way, theoretically, you should be able to watch the old shows and start recording new shows on the Netbox.  I have asked Rogers about that possibility and am waiting for an answer... although I don't understand why they won't allow transfer of stuff from one registered box to a new "registered" Netbox. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@basilsam
YES, technically you can do this.

I did this myself, when switching from the NB2 to the NB3.

2 things though to be aware of.
1)  Splitter... get the BEST splitter you can.. DONT get a cheap one.. they may be a higher enough frequency, and may really weaken the signal.. even a cheap one could just weaken the signal... you need strong enough signal to both boxes.

2) Remotes.  All the rogers remotes, are universal, and work on ALL boxes.  I can take the remote from my NB3 and take it upstair to my HD box and it will work fine on the box there, no changing anything.
That being said.. you point the remote towards the boxes.... its going to do commands on BOTH.

You would really have to have the 2nd one, facing a different direction so it doesnt get the signal.. and move into the right location to control it when you need.

I'm a Senior Advisor

What Gdkitty said. However, both the old PVR and the new Nextbox have to be authorized by Rogers. Also, the splitter counts as another outlet, so,be sure you have enough outlets on your account, or have it added.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

@Lurker wrote:

As Rogers will remind anyone who listens, the PVR is not designed to be an archiving device, to keep memories for posterity.  Its meant for timeshifting and temporary storage.

Well, Lurkie, thanks for bringing me down to your harsh reality of they-don't-want-you-to-have-what-you-want. Some stop there, others push the envelope, make requests that many many many people want and whala!

AN ARCHIVING DEVICE

If Rogers won't supply it, we find out who does, that Rogers doesn't mind us buying products from. The whole idea is Rogers is paid by us to help us be entertained and informed. Don't be so negative!

Of course there are many ways one can back-up the data coming into the house. Take a movie of the TV! My point is, since we have these supercomputers - PVRs have impressive processors and are designed for us to be ecstatic with their capabilities - so we find the software guru who can activate a "save to flash drive" or "save to external drive" option from "Recorded programs" in the 1056B01 handset to Nextbox 3.

It's simply a matter of letting Rogers know what we want, and with patience, everything comes exactly when it should. Thanks for hearing me out, and everyone will love Rogers even more when they share this option!

Teo

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not trying to be NEGATIVE.. i would LOVE to see this option.

But personally do not beleive it would happen well not in the sense that most would prefer.
(goes back to the whole argument  when the VHS players came out).

A way to BACK UP the recordings on it, at least to HAVE them, to be able to reload onto a FRESH PVR, Yes could happen.

But in any other way.. it too much of a chance for piracy, and distribution, etc..
Which rogers wouldnt want to be responsible for handing out a device which would easily allow that..  they probably would get in big trouble with their licensors.

I've Been Here Awhile

Well said Gdkitty. Rogers has a knack for ignoring customer requests. Some people said DVRs aren't for prosperity which is technically true. However it makes one wonder why the hard drives are so large if the only intended purpose was for live television (pause/rewind/ffwd)...Rogers marketed these devices as a replacement for VCRs, DVD recorders... so the whole argument that DDVD recordings are not for posterity, is flawed. DVRs suck at being used for that purpose, however Rogers is very well aware that people would be using it like that. Hence the large and ever expanding hard drives. For this reason alone they should provide the option of transferring recordings to another medium. But they don't. I have actually research this subject in the past,  and spoken with a very insightful Cisco  programmer. Even though the Cisco device supports data transfer to a computer or USB drive, ie data transfer ports and software capabilities, the Rogers UI prevents us from accessing that. Hacking the software is relatively easy, as long as you know what you are doing... But Rogers adds another hurdle by eencrypting all the recordings on the hard drive. Meaning if you can get the data off of the DVR's hard drive, it would be unreadable. Cisco's videoscape Voyager Vantage software is very powerful and solves almost all of these ddilemma,  Rogers however chooses to lock this functionality with their devices. 

The way I see it, even if you buy your device outright, you never really own it. lmao. It's like buying a computer hard drive, but everything you save on it is not your property. My solution to this was to just invest in a good TV capture device for my computer. No need to buy external hard drives for the PVRs that would just get filled with ultimately unusable data without a Rogers subscription. Boo @ Rogers! 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well you are partially right on the owning part... this is where it gets all silly.
Yes, you do on the HARDWARE. 
But... unfortunately you dont own the SOFTWARE, technically.
And especially the CONTENT.  You own the rights to view the content.. yes even if that viewing is later via a PVR, etc.  But you do not OWN that content, say like when you buy a dvd, you pay for the right to own it.

If you go back to VCR days, when the first came out.. the whole copyright, etc thing.. was there as well, trying to get them BANNED from being used.
Why? Same reasons.  Yes, most people just wanted to use them to record/watch stuff that they couldnt be around to watch live from.
But they were also then being used to COPY and OWN (and even distribute illegaly) stuff that technically they didnt OWN the rights to.

I am not saying this is RIGHT / WRONG.. nor if i agree with it or not.  Just stating the facts as it is.

I think most of the issue a least from needing to store/archive due to lack of space.. mostly falls in the OLDER units.
When even the earlier HD pvrs came out.. a good portion of the shows were still in SD.  So space didnt fill up too quickly.
Now that 95% of the stuff is HD.. it fills MUCH quicker.
That is one advantage that the newer boxes have... the NB2 and higher, have switched over to recording in MPEG4.. so the file sizes are about 1/2 of before.  As well going with the NB3, you have a 1g drive in the unit.

Not for LONG TERM storage.. but overall just to expans, i generally have had good luck with the expanders.. in giving a lot more storage.  I have been using one of the rogers ones (sadly no longer available) since the NB2 days.  Only just in this last week have ran into problems.  While we were pretty much empty on recordings.. durring a reboot, the ext drive came up as having to be re added.. didnt think much of it.. probably a software bug.. nothing should be on it anyways.  Now that we filled the drive a bunch more.. this last week ran into recordings which were FREEZING and hanging the box. 😞  Unpluged the drive... and lost a good 6+ recordings.  But they were all the newest stuff (much like the stuff which was freezing.  So likely a good sign, the the drive itself has or is on the way to failing.
Unfortunately, none of this stuff lasts forever 😞

I'm a Senior Advisor

@nick_loss wrote:

Rogers marketed these devices as a replacement for VCRs, DVD recorders... so the whole argument that DDVD recordings are not for posterity, is flawed. DVRs suck at being used for that purpose, however Rogers is very well aware that people would be using it like that. Hence the large and ever expanding hard drives. For this reason alone they should provide the option of transferring recordings to another medium. But they don't.

My 160 Gig PVR is about 1/3 full. The oldest recordings on there are Star Trek and Avatar from 2 years ago, but most of my recordings I watch and erase within a couple of days. The reason the recordings are encrypted and not transferable to other storage media is because they belong to Rogers and may only be viewed by paying subscribers who recorded them. Of course there are ways to archive and distribute TV shows and movies, the Internet is full of them, but Rogers does not enable the practice.

I've Been Around

what do I need to save recordes programs on my PVR to DVD ?

I'm a Senior Advisor

@bas3 wrote:

what do I need to save recordes programs on my PVR to DVD ?

What PVR do you have. I have an SA8300HD and connect the composite output (red white yellow RCA) from the PVR to my composite inputs on the DVDR.  Recording takes place in real time when you play the show on your PVR.