Saving shows recorded on PVR to an external hard drive

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Saving shows recorded on PVR to an external hard drive

@gatoronto : Please see my comments below:

1. The i/eHDD recordings are "tied" to the original PVR. You cannot access the recordings by any other device, including a new/different PVR (rented), or computer.

2. Most of the issues people have with booting, etc. are related to a poor signal. It's actually rare that it's a problem with the box.  Please see the following link for more on signal issues:  Call Rogers and have them check the signal in your home and in your neighbourhood.  They can do this remotely.  If you have a good signal, then you shouldn't see the error message.  If the (original) PVR reboots properly, then you should be able to reconnect the eHDD and see/access your recordings.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

3. The only way to connect a drive is with SATA, not USB.  I have no idea why they made the suggestion to connect it to a different PVR because that doesn't work (USB or SATA). They should know better.

4. You don't mention how old your PVR/eHDD are, but a PVR is a time-shifting device and not an archive. It is not a good idea to think of it as an archive, because it's not a matter of if a hard drive will fail, but when.

5. Your post appears to have been moved to this existing thread on eHDD.  An internal HDD cannot be used to view existing recordings as an eHDD on a different PVR, nor can it be "transferred" as an internal HDD to a different PVR to view existing recordings.

I'm Here A Lot

lol....I have no idea why they suggested that either. It was a Rogers rep.  I do not use the PVR as an archive...I just record a lot of shows and it takes me a while to catch up.  Those 100 shows are mostly from May.  The PVR would not boot up.  Just rotated between boot and er:51.  We had a power issue in the neighbourhood and only the PVR didn't recover from it.  The sticker on it says it was manufactured in 2015.  

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks....I am still trying to figure out a way to save this PVR.  I have accepted the fact that the shows are gone but how would I be able to find out if the components of the box are fried as well as the HD.  I would like to replace the HD in this box and then attach it to my basement TV which is used probably only once a year.  It doesn't make sense for me to rent another box since this TV seldom gets used.  Right now the only thing I can think of is to buy a new drive and if it still doesn't work then I am out the price of the HDD.  Any other suggestions?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gatoronto Have you been able to get the box to boot?  Usually a box will boot, even with a bad iHDD.  If it won't boot, as I mentioned earlier, it's usually a signal issue.  It is possible that another component in the box is fried, in which case that's probably beyond the expertise of this forum.

One way to get a recalcitrant box to boot is to unplug it, disconnect the incoming RF-coax cable, plug in the box, wait a minute, then reconnect the coax.

Did you get your signal checked at your home/neighbourhood as previously recommended?

I'm Here A Lot

Hi...yes the signal was checked and they said it was good.  The box died after a power issue in the neighbourhood.  I couldn't get it to boot.  It just rotated between er:51 and boot.  I guess I am toast.   LOL  At least I tried!!