Saving shows recorded on PVR to an external hard drive

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Saving shows recorded on PVR to an external hard drive

this does not work to move the external HD.  I got one on my old Cisco box, which died. Got a replacment, slightly newer Cisco box - connecting the external HD - the only option was to erase, format it to setup to work with the new PVR. For copyright reasons you can't move the recorded material to a new PVR.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, the internal and external hard drives are combined as one drive and recordings are indexed together on the internal drive.  You don't know which recording is on which drive. I believe you can add an extender to an existing PVR and carry on without losing what's on the internal drive, but not vice versa.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

I'd suggest to get valuable and honest options for people who want to save recordings for future viewing, seek advice and forum''s other than this one. Rogers, and their "resident experts" refer to copyrights laws as the reason why shows saved on their DVRs cannot be transferred, even between replacement Rogers DVRs.
Canada's copyright laws do not prevent a viewer from recording broadcasts that they are legally entitled to view, for future viewing on any other device they own. Exception to this include: for commercial purpose, for the purpose of building up a library or streaming services.
Rogers has so expertly taken advantage of a recent addition to the copyright laws; digital locks. They encrypt their harddrives not as a measure to protect their valued customers from inadvertently breaking laws, but as a means to sell another product; additional storage. The media we save from a broadcast that we are legally viewing CAN be copied for viewing on another device, . It is however, an offence for anyone to bypass or break any sort of digital lock. Breaking the lock, or encryption on the Rogers DVR, that stores our recordings is illegal; So why does Rogers have a digital lock blocking their customers from transferring their legal recordings to a computer, usb, tablet, phone etc?
If these resident experts are simply ignorant of our copyright laws as it pertains to individuals, that's forgivable...otherwise their 'warning' are tantamount to fear mongering and scare tactics. 

Back to my original sentiment, seek out any other independant a/v forum to get proper advise. Consumers are not restricted to using only the DVRs from their telepvision provider. Rogers boxes, by far are not the best out there. I'd suggest to anyone interested in overcomming the storage limitations of these Next . boxes, annoyed by the consistent shortcomming, and sick of getting the sales pitch when searching for solutions, CANCEL the DVR subscription and downgrade to the regular Rogers box.  Then go out an purchase a DVR on your own (and i'm talking about a DVR from another broadcast company). There are a lot of DVR options that are not limited to only 1 provider. You simply connect the better DVR's input to the to the Rogers box's output, and then your TV  to it's output. In otherwords, it's like a middleman between the Rogers box and your TV.

Sure it may not be as convenient, and scheduling recording from the interactive guide wouldn't be as easy. Get a good DVR that includes WIFI or LAN access and a IR blaster built in,(and trust me, there's lots of ones out there..mine only cost $100 on amazon).

And storage problems? No problem, just plug in a external HD..you can even swap out the internal drives since they are the same as the ones in any old computer.

Walk in to any independant electronics store, with knowledgeable staff, and they can show you exactly what to buy. canada computers, ncix, tiger direct all sell these. Just avoid rogers stores, or seeking help on this site. 

Like the ING dude says, "Save *your* money"

I'm a Senior Advisor

@nick_loss I have no trouble copying recorded shows to a DVD recorder from my SA8300HD. It was designed to do so and has the option in the menu (called Copy to VCR, to give you an idea how old the interface is).  This ability was also available on Nextboxes, although undocumented, until it was deliberately crippled in the latest Navigatr revision. My guess would be that Espial's lawyers wanted to cover their . es, the same way that they threw in that dysfunctional power saving feature they later had to remove.

The reason the Rogers signal data is encrypted and can only be unlocked by a Rogers box ought to be obvious. I'm no guru, but from what I've read, when you have a PVR extender, you can't tell whether a show is on the internal or external drive because of how the file system is made. There is one thing, however, that Rogers should be capable of doing and that is to transfer recorded material from one PVR to a new one when swapping out suspect boxes.  Cisco, or whoever they're called now, ought to be able to write software to do it, but Rogers would not likely use it because it's more time consuming than swapping boxes.

I've Been Around

For the amount of money we pay for whole home pvr which lets be honest it's a pvr and one or two of the same sized box with no hard drive. Sad.  Why can't we transfer files?!!!!! We still pay for cable!!!!! Rogers should want to keep all of us cable watchers happy but apparently they don't really care. Let's get the HD channel package!!!! Great oh by the way you still need to pay for basic cable.  What???!!!!!!! The basic cable package is the same channels as the HD channel package 16:9 HD doesn't matter all the channels are digital and compressed!!!!!! We are paying for channels twice and that's the way it is.   Very sad!!!!!!  I think it's time to switch to bell!!!! Yes not feeling the love. At least I can transfer all of the files I record to another drive and actually use the external drive at the same time. Bell shows you step by step on their website!!!!

I'm a Senior Advisor

Your recordings are encrypted and can only be played back on the Rogers equipment they were recorded on. You do not "own" them.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The one advantage with Bell (Satellite, not Fibe) is that you're allowed to archive to an eHDD. This eHDD can then be "read" by a new similar PVR - for example 9XXX series on Bell Satellite.  Most providers do not offer this.  Of course you still need to remain with the current provider as the recordings are encrypted and cannot be read by say a computer.  Also you can't use the eHDD with a 6XXX if it was previously used on a 9XXX and vice versa.

The only way to truly archive is via an Hauppauge using component video connections (analogue hole) and HTPC in real time.

The other thing that people need to realize is that most issues are not due to problems with their PVRs, but rather the signal coming into their home or neighbourhood.  It's actually quite rare that the box is the problem.  See:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

In addition, each provider has advantages and disadvantages, so Bell is not the savior you may think.

I've Been Around

Most shows that you would be able to record on your PVR are avail on Rogers on Demand(providing you still subscribe to the channel it was recorded from), and also on the networks website for free under full episodes, all you really need to do is just write down a list of stuff u still want to watch off of your PVR, then go to either of these to watch your list. You can also search the guide for repeats of the shows as well for rerecording as an alternative sorce.
I've Been Here Awhile

Most on demand stuff is only available for a very limited amount of time. CTV shows are only available for 3 weeks, Global keeps some shows till August. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

There was a power blip at my place and my 9865 PVR went into Er:51.  I had over 100 recordings on it.  Tech support said they couldn't fix it.  I own this box...do not rent.  I rented a new 9865 PVR.  It was suggested to me to put the old drive into a HDD enclosure and see if I can access the recordings from there.  Bought the USB enclosure and put the drive in it.  Attached it to my PVR via the USB port and got the message asking if I wanted to format the drive so I could use it.  I don't want to wipe out my recordings.....if they are still there.  Any suggestions as to what I do now?  I really want to see if I can access these recordings.