Saving shows recorded on PVR to an external hard drive

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Saving shows recorded on PVR to an external hard drive

I'm considering switching to the new Nextbox 3.0 but I have a number of shows recorded on my existing PVR that I don't want to lose.  Is there a way I can save them to an external hard drive so I can watch them at a later date?  I'm not tech-savvy so any solution would need to be relatively simple - or at least explained in simple terms.

The box I have currently is the Explorer 8642 HD PVR, just in case it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Saving shows recorded on PVR to an external hard drive

Unfortunately there is no way to transfer your existing shows either to external hard drive or to the new Nextobox 3 PVR as they are encrypted. The only solution I can think of is the copy the shows you want to keep either to DVDs or VHS if you have either DVD-recorder or VCR. I frequently copy my recordings from PVR to DVDs so if anything happens with PVR I won't loose my recordings.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately Tedd13 is right.

It would be nice, if they say could make it so, when you record, you can choose WHERE on your system to record, say the internal or an extender..
and then when the extender is moved, that it can ADD those back into the list, on the new device.

I'm a Senior Advisor

As Rogers will remind anyone who listens, the PVR is not designed to be an archiving device, to keep memories for posterity.  Its meant for timeshifting and temporary storage.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the answers....even if they weren't what I wanted to hear! I guess I'll have to decide if I want the new Nextbox more than I want the shows I've recorded!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One option.. though possibly may cost a few $$ more for a very short period.. is do what i did.

If you dont have all your 'outlets' full on your account.  Go out and get a nextbox 3, plug it in, and start recording all your stuff you do FROM that point on forward.
Keep watching stuff from the old one, till you are cought up, and not recording any NEW on the old one.

Then return the old one.

Though, this doesnt help, if there is stuff you want to keep for 'archival' purposes, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

Gdkitty,

I really like the suggestion of having the two PVR's for a short time, even if it costs a bit more.  I currently have the 8642 HD PVR as well as a regular HD box (not PVR).  If I went with your suggestion, would I disconnect the regular HD box and then connect the new Nextbox 3.0 in its place to record the new stuff while leaving the existing PVR in place to watch the old stuff?  If that's correct, how do I make sure "it" knows to record the new programs on the Nextbox?  Do I just delete all future recordings from the 8642 and only set them up on the Nextbox?

Sorry if this seems like an obvious question but as I stated earlier, I'm not terribly tech savvy!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My suggestion.

Get the box get it working in the other spot.

Go on your 8642, and write down all your scheduled stuff. As you write it down, delete that schedule there, so that box no longer records it.

Then go on the new box and set those recordings there. Unfortunately this is a manual process.
Any new stuff, just set on the new box.

Watch what you have on the 8642, then when ready, unplug and return that box, and move the new one to there, plugging the HD box back in.

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you that's the best answer yet.  I've looked all over.

The reason I want to save data is because I've had to return/exchange my PVR at Rogers so many times because of problems with them.  I get a new one fine and dandy, however I always have about 15 hours of shows recoreded at any one time and lose everything each time I have to go exchange the damn thing.

There should be a backup for this sort of thing.  Maybe they could buiid it in the next mondel.

I'm a Senior Advisor

You are not the OP in this old thread. Which PVR do you have? The OP had a 8642 and I'm not familar with it enough to know if it's crippled like the new NextBox 3.0 and can't "Record to VCR". I have an SA8300, which can record to VCR (or DVDR) and can save stuff on DVD. The only problem is this works in real time, so an hour show tales one hour to record. However, this takes place in the background, so you can watch other stuff or not, if you wish. I used to use mine a lot before I had a PVR. However, if you have hours and hours saved, this would not be practical. I never save more stuff than I expect to watch in the near future.

I'm sure technology exists to transfer encrypted Rogers recordings from one PVR to another. This is a service that Rogers should offer. They're pushing new NextBox 3.0 really hard now. I bet there are lots of customers who don't want to upgrade because they don't want to lose all the shows they've hoarded on their current PVR.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario