STB Extended Warranty

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

STB Extended Warranty

Every month I get billed 4 bucks for an extended warranty on two set top boxes. One of them has stopped working so I take the box into the local Rogers store only to find out there is no such thing as an extended warranty.

I came home with my tail between between legs and called the 1888 number only to be told that yes I was paying for a extended  warranty but it was useless and the only thing they could do was to remove the charge from my account.

I was told by the CSR that I have been paying this fee for 13 years.....well by my calculation this would cover the purchase price (not their cost) of two brand new HD boxes. He was really nice and said I could be credited for the past 90 days...WOW a whole 12 bucks. Something about disputes have to addressed within 90 days.

Well I don't expect my STB to break every 90 days just so I can find out a service I think I am paying for is worthless.

What kind of customer service is this? I've been with these guys since they took over in our area from shaw and I've alway praised their services and value..I have all my communication service with them and only them...but I am now seriously thinking otherwise.

Anyone else that maybe paying for an extended warranty thinking they are covered may want to question their bill.

Signed..unhappy customer.

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: STB Extended Warranty

I didnt think that rogers DID an extended warranty....
Unless that was a cary over thing from when it was shaw..

Is this a standard Definition box?
And what was is the exact listing on the bill list the warranty as?

I'm a Senior Advisor

It's common knowledge that extended warranties are usually 3rd party insurance policies offered by retailers. Also, the general advice is that they're of dubious value and merely a money maker for the retailer and the third party. The sales person probably makes a good commission selling these warranties and usually vulnerable customers with little technical knowledge, buying on credit, are targeted.

Like Gdkitty, I'm unaware that Rogers presently offers any extended warranties, but 13 years ago, who knows? They're offered by sales people at many reputable retailers, but you don't have to buy them. I suspect the turnover of employees at Rogers stores is such that nobody would know if such warranties were offered more than 10 years ago. As I recall, that's when they were primarily video rental stores with a lot of casual help. I'd say the OP has their own gullibility to blame Does the OP have any paperwork for this extended warranty?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm Here A Lot

It appears on my Bill as "2 Digital Box Extended Warranty".

One box was a swap from the old Shaw migration the other is a newer PVR SA8300HD which was purchased a couple of years back. I called them when I bought the new PVR and added the extended warranty for it to my account at that time.

My issue is not that the program is no longer available but that at no time did I get a call or even a line on my bill to say they were discontinuing the service....but they kept billing me for a for it.

I'm Here A Lot

Here are the details from the link. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. I don't see any limitations other than to cancel service which I have not.

http://downloads.rogers.com/cable/extended_warranty.pdf 

DIGITAL SET-TOP BOX EXTENDED WARRANTY

This extended warranty is provided by Rogers Cable Communications Inc. ("

Rogers") to a customer ("Customer") who: (i) purchases a new or refurbished digital set-top box from Rogers or one of its authorized retailers (any such box, the "Digital Box"); (ii) pays to Rogers the applicable monthly extended warranty fee referenced below (the "Extended Warranty Fee"); and (iii) subscribes to Rogers digital cable television service ("Digital Service").

Eligibility Period

In order to be eligible for this extended warranty, Customer must request activation of this extended warranty within ninety (90) days of the original date of purchase of the Digital Box.

Extended Warranty

If Customer requests activation of this extended warranty within the above eligibility period, then, subject to the limitations below, Rogers warrants to Customer that the Digital Box shall be free from defects in workmanship and materials, under normal use, until the earliest of: (i) the lifetime of the Digital Box, (ii) the date on which Customer cancels payment of, or fails to pay when due, the Extended Warranty Fee, (iii) the date on which the Customer sells, transfers or otherwise disposes of the Digital Box, and (iv) the date on which the Customer cancels his/her subscription to Digital Service (the "Extended Warranty Period"). Rogers' sole obligation under this warranty shall be, at Rogers' option and expense, to replace or repair the Digital Box. Rogers warrants any replaced or repaired Digital Box through the end of the Extended Warranty Period. The replacement Digital Box provided to Customer may be new or refurbished. Proof of purchase is required to replace or repair the Digital Box. Neither this extended warranty nor any of the rights hereunder are transferable by Customer. Customer may cancel this extended warranty at any time by contacting Rogers at1-888-ROGERS1.

Extended Warranty Fee

The Extended Warranty Fee amount may vary according to the specific model of Digital Box purchased. For more information regarding the extended warranty and for Rogers’ current Extended Warranty Fee amounts call Rogers Cable TV Repair (1-888-ROGERS1 / 1-888-764-3771). The Extended Warranty Fee shall be billed by and payable to Rogers on a monthly basis. Failure to pay the Extended Warranty Fee when due will cause this extended warranty to expire and be of no further force or effect. Rogers may change the Extended Warranty Fee amount, upon notice to Customer and in accordance with the Rogers Terms of Service.

Warranty Service

Before returning the Digital Box to Rogers for warranty service within the Extended Warranty Period, Customer shall call Rogers Cable TV Repair (1-888-ROGERS1 / 1-888-764-3771) to attempt to diagnose and correct the malfunction or other defect over the telephone. If Rogers Cable TV Repair is unable to do so, Rogers may dispatch a technician to Customer's premises. Should the technician determine that the problem is not cable line, signal or Digital Box-related, or otherwise attributable to Rogers, Rogers may charge Customer a fee, plus applicable taxes, for the dispatch of the technician.

Non-Warranty Service

If Customer requires service to a Digital Box that is not covered by this extended warranty, Customer shall call Rogers Cable TV Repair (1-888-ROGERS1 / 1-888-764-3771) to be directed to arrange for repair of the Digital Box by an authorized repair facility. Before providing Customer with the available options, Rogers Cable TV Repair may attempt to diagnose and correct the malfunction or other defect over the telephone. If Rogers Cable TV Repair is unable to do so, Rogers may dispatch a technician to Customer's premises. Should the technician determine that the problem is not cable line or signal-related, or otherwise attributable to Rogers, Rogers may charge Customer a fee, plus applicable taxes, for the dispatch of the technician.

Warranties Exclusive

TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE ABOVE WARRANTY IS EXCLUSIVE AND IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES (SAVE AND EXCEPT FOR THE ROGERS DIGITAL SET-TOP BOX LIMITED WARRANTY), TERMS, OR CONDITIONS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, EITHER IN FACT OR BY OPERATION OF LAW, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WARRANTIES, TERMS, OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABLE QUALITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. ROGERS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE UNDER THIS EXTENDED WARRANTY IF THE ALLEGED DEFECT OR MALFUNCTION OF THE DIGITAL BOX DOES NOT EXIST OR WAS CAUSED BY CUSTOMER'S OR ANY THIRD PERSON'S MISUSE, NEGLECT, IMPROPER INSTALLATION OR TESTING, UNAUTHORIZED ATTEMPTS TO OPEN, REPAIR, OR MODIFY THE DIGITAL BOX, OR ANY OTHER CAUSE BEYOND THE RANGE OF THE INTENDED USE, OR BY ACCIDENT, FIRE, LIGHTNING, POWER CUTS, SURGES OR OUTAGES, OTHER HAZARDS, OR ACTS OF GOD. THIS EXTENDED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER PHYSICAL DAMAGE TO THE SURFACE OF THE DIGITAL BOX. THIS EXTENDED WARRANTY DOES NOT APPLY WHEN THE MALFUNCTION RESULTS FROM THE USE OF THE DIGITAL BOX IN CONJUNCTION WITH ACCESSORIES, OTHER PRODUCTS, OR ANCILLARY OR PERIPHIRAL EQUIPMENT AND ROGERS DETERMINES THAT THERE IS NO FAULT WITH THE PRODUCT ITSELF.

Limitation of Liability

TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, ROGERS ALSO EXCLUDES FOR ITSELF, ITS AUTHORIZED RETAILERS AND ITS SUPPLIERS, ANY LIABILITY IN CONNECTION WITH THE DIGITAL BOX, WHETHER BASED IN CONTRACT OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), FOR DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, ECONOMIC, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, OR FOR ANY LOSS OF A FINANCIAL NATURE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF REVENUE OR PROFITS, EVEN IF ROGERS, ITS AUTHORIZED RETAILERS OR ITS SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. ROGERS LIMITS ITS LIABILITY HEREUNDER TO REPLACEMENT OR REPAIR OF THE DIGITAL BOX, AT ROGERS' SOLE OPTION.

Arbitration

To the extent permitted by applicable law, the arbitration clause contained in the Rogers Terms of Service available at rogers.com/terms applies to this extended warranty.

Governing Law

This extended warranty is governed exclusively by the laws of the province in which Customer’s billing is located, but if Customer’s billing address is outside of Canada, then this extended warranty is governed exclusively by the laws of the province of Ontario and Customer submits to the jurisdiction of the courts of Ontario.

07/2009

I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, I just did a search on the Rogers site and Rogers does indeed offer an extended warranty.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=cable_hardware_page&setLanguage=en&set...

Just click on it on the page above for a pdf. I would call Rogers back and insist on a replacement STB to replace the broken one after paying 3 times its value over the years.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the reply.

I just can't understand why "ROGERS" couldn't offer me this type of suggestion considering I forward them 300+ of my hard earned cash every month.

The biggest part of "REAL" customer service is suggesting to the customer a resolution that is "fair" without them having to go through the song and dance to get the same result.

I'm a Senior Advisor

dalewg, you didn't say which STB failed, the old Shaw box, or the newer SA8300HD. In either case,they're both now obsolete and Rogers would likely offer a newer replacement and neither the Nextbox 2 or 3 are too appealing right now in my opinion. However, the 8300 ought to be easily repairable. (I bought a refurbished 8300 from Rogers Shopping Channel with a 2-year warranty around Christmas and sure hope the warranty is valid even though the box is discontinued.)

Anyway, don't cancel the extended warranty just yet, or you'll be entitled to nothing.

Another thing. If you're offered a free NB3 rental for a year or whatever as compensation, look into the rent-to-own option. According to Gdkitty (?) it's a better value in the long run.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rental on the nb3 (don't settle for a 2), is $24 a month, ongoing.
Rent to own, is 17 / month over 3 years, then a $1 buyout.
Especially if they will cover the fee, $1 for a box after 3 years, even at 3 years old is a good deal.
Straight out buy is 499, so still cheaper than rent to own, but only a 2 year warranty, vs 3 on rent to own.

As back to the extended warranty... Looks like they still do it...
The first rep may not have known what they were talking about.

If you have Facebook or twitter, I suggest contacting them that way, those guys are great at delving Into things and may be able to find out what's up and what can be done.

I've Been Around

It's two years later but I got the same runaround at a Rogers store around that time too when the old SD digital box bit the bullet.  I'd bought the box years before (2003) and got a "Digital Box Extended Warranty" to go with it.  Anyway, given I was paying that $1.99/month+tax, I wasn't about to accept the guy at the store's word for it and had them escalate it to their customer support people. 

Admittedly, it was Sunday afternoon at the Rogers Store & their systems weren't in the best of order (presumably due to weekend maintenance and/or upgrades) but the Customer Support guy was amazingly helpful and even gave me an unexpected credit for my patience & demeanor (I guess).

This year I bought an HD box to go with their new Starter package & once again, knowledge of the Extended Warranty is a rare thing.  I'd thought that since there was a 2-year manufacturer's warranty that came with the new HD box, I could forego the Extended Warranty payments 'til the 2 years were up.  Seems that's what a couple of the customer service reps assumed too but that's not the case, you have to start the Extended Warranty within 90 days of a new purchase.

Anyway, due to the confusion described, my Extended Warranty got accidentally cancelled this month & subsequently reinstated.  That lead to my finding this thread.

Purchasing the box outright and the Extended Warranty are definitely cheaper than renting over the long-haul but you do have to be intending to keep your warrantied box for more than a few years.