SA8300HD PVR Hard Drive Dead

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: SA8300HD PVR Hard Drive Dead

Have you tried to reformat the hard drive? it is possible to still use it, here are the steps

1. With pvr on press and hold PAUSE on remote until the envelope icon on the box display starts flashing….approx 10 seconds.
  2. On remote press PAGE DOWN button once.
  3. On remote press LIST button 3 times.  Box display will show either HDDF or HDD3.
  4. Box will shut down within 30 seconds and go through a normal reset.  Reset will take approx. 2 minutes longer than normal.

After box reboots you cant test by hitting LIST on your rogers remote it will let you know if the hard drive is good

I'm an Advisor

ChrisK1:

Thanks for the suggestion. I reformatted it when I first started having trouble with it. This time around, it's truly dead. SARA actually issued a couple of error messages basically saying the drive is unusable. The box is almost 10 years old, so it's not surprising the hard drive finally died.

I'm an Advisor

Well, I'm finally going to replace my 8300's hard drive. I've found that most of the things I like to watch are available on ROD, so not having a PVR hasn't been too bad, but I don't like all the commericials on some things I watch regularly.

I've ordered a 320GB WD Blue IDE hard drive and it will arrive sometime early next week. I also finally tracked down a set of Torx security bits after searching high and low. I found them at Home Depot in the Gerrard Square mall in Toronto. It's a very nice set made by Husky, has about 8 bits, and was $16.99 plus tax. It also has a screwdriver and the bits can be stored in its handle. The product/SKU number is 671 988 in case someone else is looking for them.

I'll report back on my experience with the hard drive swap. Looks like it's very straight forward, plus I have the link to the web site with all the detailed pictures and instructions.

I'm an Advisor

Got the new hard drive today and installed it. That part went well but, when I powered it up, the box kept giving me FAIL messages in the display after a reboot. Following the FAIL message, it would reboot again. Before it got that far, it went through the countdown procedure, which was normal, very similar to the NB 3. I decided to leave it alone for a while and, after about 15 minutes, it stablilized following who knows now many reboots. I have scheduled a few recordings, so will be watching it closely to see how it goes from here.

I have an uncomfortable feeling that the problem may not have been the hard drive after all. However, the new hard drive at least is being recognized, which the old one was not. If it succeeds at recording something, I'll take a look at the hard drive usage to see if it's roughly double the capacity of the old 160GB drive.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Exactly which hard drive did you get?

I see newegg.ca has Western Digital WD Blue WD3200AAJB 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 / ATA-6 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive for $89.99 and a "newer version", Western Digital WD Blue WD3200AAKX 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM for $69.99.

I even see a Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive, Blue - OEM for $69.99 and a Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM for $59.99.

Are all WD "blue" drives supposed to work?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

I bought the first drive you mentioned from newegg. As far as I know, SATA drives don't work with the 8300 because it needs a drive with an IDE interface. I think IDE drives are more expensive per gigabyte because they're older technology. It also may be due to lower demand than SATA drives.

As I'm sitting here posting this, my first recording started exactly on time, so things are looking good so far. Smiley Very Happy

I'm an Advisor

Everything is still OK, so it looks like the replacement is a success. The new drive's fan is quite noticeable up to a few feet away. It sounds a lot like the fan in a NextBox 3. Otherwise, the drive is very quiet and I haven't heard any drive head parking noises, which I often heard on the old Maxtor. I also checked the diagnostic screen and SARA recognizes the make, model, capacity, and serial number of the drive.

Even though IDE hard drives are expensive compared to SATA drives, I highly recommend an upgrade to your internal drive if you're experiencing any odd issues or need some extra recording capacity instead of getting an external eSata drive. I know you can go at least as high as 500GB, possibly higher. Drives from manufacturers other than Western Digital can be found as well.

I'm a Senior Advisor

The hard drive has its own fan? I did not know that. Some drives make more noise than others. I thought the 8300 had its own fan. Could it have been disturbed and is now noisier? Did you blow all the dust out when you had it open?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

There are no fans in the box, just one on the hard drive. The hard drive mounts with its fan facing up. I did dust it out a bit, although it wasn't as bad as I expected after almost 10 years. It's actually quite easy to get at the "mother board" as it's mostly out in the open where some dust collects.

I've Been Here Awhile

@ ChrisK1

1,000,000 thank you's! I read your instructions and now all of my recordings are back on my Rogers PVR.
You ROCK!!