SA8300HD PVR Hard Drive Dead

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: SA8300HD PVR Hard Drive Dead

I got mine in the past, at Home Depot.

If you can find it, probably worth getting one with interchangable bits, to have the set of them to have the right size
(if not too expensive)

I'm an Advisor

Dug around in my screw driver collection and found a Torx 10, but it doesn't fit the screws on the back. It's supposed to be the right size, according to the instructions on Digital Home. Mine seems to be a little too big or the slots don't line up. Can't tell for sure. The site says it's a Torx 10 security screw, but I assume the word security was thrown in as an explanation and it doesn't mean there's a special Torx 10 security screw driver which is different from mine.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I posted a link to a bit set I have in another thread. I tried the T-10 security bit an it works. I suppose in a pinch you could take a regular T-10 screwdriver and cut a slot through it with a thin abrasive disk using a Dremel so it will fit.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

I also see Torx security bits on amazon.ca (a lot of hardware stuff on amazon.com does not ship to Canada).

http://www.amazon.ca/Bosch-CC60391-6-Piece-Security-torx/dp/B000B8NC2E

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00BFINNJQ/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1535035302&pf_rd_s=lpo-top...

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

Thanks for posting all that. So, you're saying there are different Torx 10's and one is called a security bit and the other isn't even though it's also a T 10? That would explain why mine doesn't work.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

security torx screw, usually has a post in the middle, which requires a bit with a hole

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Torx_driver_secure.png

I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

LOL, I just looked up the same Wikipedia article, which was quite educational. At least now I know the security one is different.

I'm an Advisor

Finally tracked down the Torx 10 security bit I need at Canadian Tire. They have a set of Torx security bits for about $15, which is in stock. Will wait for the weather to improve before walking over there, though, probably by Thursday/Friday. It's still -18C here, with wind gusts up to 60kmph.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for your help.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I can install a new 160GB stock drive for you in about 20 mins for $60, drive included.  Same stock drive that came with the 8300HD.  I have an extra from when I upgraded mine to a 500GB.

I'm an Advisor

BigJug:

Thanks for the offer, You have a PM.