SA8300HD PVR Hard Drive Dead

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

SA8300HD PVR Hard Drive Dead

As the subject says, my trusty almost 10 year old 8300's hard drive finally died. Does anyone have experience with replacing the drive themselves? I'm specifically interested in knowing what a good replacement drive might be, where I can buy it, and what kind of experience you had doing it yourself. Even though the drive is dead, I can still watch TV, which was a pleasant surprise.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: SA8300HD PVR Hard Drive Dead

There is an entire thread devoted to this issue here!

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15719

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That thread is a really good one to follow for the instructions, etc on how to do it.

As for the 'basics' on it.

The 8300's use an IDE hard drive... those are not as easy to come by anymore.

I beleive the largest that is normally put in there, is a 320gb drive.. not sure if a 500g would work, etc.

You can try looking around at any local mom and pop shops which might have them in stock.  Big box places like bestbuy, etc dont carry them anymore.
Online, you can try places like
Canada computers, tigerdirect, ncix, etc.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Just checked Canada Computers and they still have some of the 160 GB in stock.   WD BLUE which are just fine for this.   Just check the store locations near you to see which one you might want.   $ 75 for 160 GB drive is a bit expensive but it's par for the course for those old models.   Easy to replace inside also.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yea, thats the unfortunate thing.. the cost/gb will likely be MUCH more expensive, than the newer SATA drives.

I have read, DONT try and use the SATA to IDE converts.. they dont work properly in the PVRs most of the time.

Also... Techguy001 brought up a good point, mentioning the WD BLUE

If at least looking at WD drives, look for a BLUE or BLACK model one.  NOT green.
Green are the most energy efficient.. they slow down/speed up/shut off when not fully in use.. but might not work quite properly in the PVR setting.
Try and avoid any 'green' power saving type drives.

I'm an Advisor

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to check with my nearest Canada Computers store. The web site shows the item in stock and I did an online chat. The rep told me the drive they show, WD Blue 3.5" 160GB IDE drive is compatible, but I might have to play with jumpers. I understand what that means, but does anyone know if it's necessary? I also checked Tiger Direct, which has them in stock, but it takes them an estimated 9 days to deliver it. Also, do I need a special screw driver to open it up? I seem to remember reading sometihng about a torx driver somewhere.

I Plan to Stick Around

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For the jumper settings.. you would want to MATCH whatever the existing drive was set as.

So if it say, was jumpered set as MASTER, then i would do the same on the new drive.

I'm an Advisor

Thanks for the links to Digital Home. They help a lot. Just need to find some Torx screw drivers. Anyone know a good source for them? I'm guessing someone like Canadian Tire might carry them, but I also understand there's a huge number of different Torx type screw drivers.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I found them at Canadian tire at few years ago but not many of them and weren't that easy to find in the store i was at.