Rogers per recording- they are not even trying!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers per recording- they are not even trying!

It is beyond believe that in today’s day and age, something you pay for that is supposed to be technology.. works like an old toaster at best! I swear this Pvr box probably has vacuum tubes in it! When you hit record on the gold metal hockey game, who thinks it’s because you want to watch the entire game? Well Rogers thinks people who record things on their pvr want to watch up to the last 5 minutes only. Who wants to watch the last 5 minutes of anything right? So that’s how they programmed their ridiculous pvr to work.. Bravo Rogers! How hard is it to make these things record the entire program? It’s not a frickin pool timer! It doesn’t have click off at a fixed time! Especially if the programs not over! The box doesn’t know the programs not over? ridiculous cheap garbage.

***Added Labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers per recording- they are not even trying!

Anyone using digital cable to record on their PVR, knows enough to extend live recordings by at least an hour and perhaps 3 hours if it's something you really care about.  This has been the case since recording on VCRs began over 40 years ago.

The Ignite service now does "know enough" to extend the recordings because they are done "in the cloud", on Rogers servers, rather than on your device which is under your control.  Even with Ignite, I probably wouldn't trust it completely and either record the next programme, or extend the recording if it's something I really care about.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you! I’ll dig out my instruction manual for my 40 year old VCR to explain how Rogers PVR works. You reiterate my point precisely..

And you don’t have to be in the cloud to make a device/programming that records a full program when someone hits record on the program.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No, you don't have to be in the cloud, however, the Rogers (and many other IPGs from other providers) are not updated on a minute by minute basis (usually updated daily), so the Rogers Digital Cable PVR will not do this currently.  I doubt it ever will since Rogers is migrating to IgniteTV where this eventuality is addressed.

Sorry you missed the end of the game.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately technology period, can only follow what instruction set its given.

Generally for most programming, like TV shows, should only be their set time (1hr, etc) so setting those to record, are fine.  The PVR is following what its told to record in the right timeframe and should pick it up ok.

The problem can run into with stuff like sports, award shows, etc.

Rogers (and other providers) are told that the thing should only be say 2 hours.  So they set the guide to that.  Which is what the pvr will follow.
But when the game runs over.. and the broadcaster pushes out and broadcasts the game longer..  there is no way for the PVR to know this.  Its just following its instructions.  

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Cfordyce  You probably have a Nextbox 3 PVR.  Those have not been made for some time, so it's sure to be a refurbished one. If you search through the forums you'll see many cases of these refurbished ones being exchanged over and over again and still giving trouble.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks. I heard it was unbelievable. 😌