Rogers over ethernet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers over ethernet

Hi all,

I have a bit of a problem...

I've moved into a new place which is wired everywhere with cat5e (face plates in every room).

Rogers can get cable to the basement, but nowhere else (without running wires all over the walls (finished basement, no ceiling space etc etc).

If I connected something like this to my Rogers box in the basement (it's a 4250HD):

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012

(to give the following set-up Rogers box with HDMI --> HDMI Extender --> Ethernet LAN --> HDMI ethernet Receiver --> TV.

Would that work? 

***Edited labels***

Thanks in advance for any help 🙂

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers over ethernet

Yes, that should work?

As you are just converting/extending the OUTPUT from the rogers box.

The box, will be then on the OTHER side of the room, house, etc..

BUT ones like the first one.. LOOK like it should do IR extending.  As long as you point the rogers remote at the IR sensor on the one side.. should then repeat that one out the other and into the rogers box.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

New place, as in new home, or just new to you? If it’s a house, and its fairly new, then there is a good chance that it has structured wiring installed, which is a cable bundle that consists of two RG6 cables for satellite or cable tv, one Cat 5e and one Cat 3 (or possibly Cat 5e) for telephone.   That bundle usually terminates in the basement in a Structured Wiring Cabinet if its done right, which is where you would probably find the existing phone wiring.

Have you already checked behind the faceplates to see if the rest of the bundle is sitting there without end connectors?  If you find it behind one wallplate, then its probably a good bet that everywhere else that you have an ethernet port, the remaining cables are also there, but you would have to confirm that.

If it is there, then its just a matter of installing the correct keystones (cable ends) on the cables that you need, and the correct wallplate for the number of keystones that are required.

Have a look for the cables first, unless of course you have already done that.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the replies !

@GDkitty

- yes, just extending the output from the Rogers Box (HDMI, straight into
my LAN via CAT 5e).

- The box will be in the basement (see response to Datalink below for description)

- yes, was thinking I'd need some kind of separate, or built in IR extender. Want to test
the HDMI across the LAN first I guess.

@Datalink

- sorry, I meant new to me (but house is also only 2 years old)
- looks like structured wiring to me - all terminates in the basement in a cabinet
- the faceplates all have 4 Cat 5e (or so they are labelled) and 1 cat 3 for phone
- 2 of the terminations seem to be paired (red and green cables, both in the faceplates and in the cabinet downstairs) - would they be the RG6 (not sure how to tell the difference between that and RG45)?
- I thought the same thing and pulled a couple of the faceplates out, nothing else behind them

I'm Here A Lot

Also, I've just thought, I need to determine whether they are RG45 or RG6 cables I guess? Would then determine the type of extender I get.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The RG6 is normally a black or white satellite or tv cable, maybe it comes in multiple colours but I've never seen that.  It usually has RG6 and other cable details stamped on it.  If you look at the cables downstairs in the cabinet you might be able to see that on one of the cables.  I'm thinking they didn't pull any RG6 throughout the house.  Kudos for installing multiple Cat5e but there should have been a couple RG6 as well.  Run a Google search for RG6 and then have a look at the images at the top selection.  As you will see, it has a center copper conductor, Polyethylene Insulation covering that and possibly quad shielding (4 layers of overlapped foil) followed by a final (usually) black or white coating.

If you had RG6 cabling, all you would need to do is ensure that it had the correct end connectors installed and then you wouldn't have to use an extender.  It becomes a straight cable run.

You could also check to see if the cabling runs through the walls in a conduit which would be a low voltage electrical conduit.  Its sometimes referred to as Electrical Non-Metallic Tubing.  If that was used, and you can see it, you might be able to easily run an additional RG6 cable by using one of the Cat5e to pull it through the conduit.  It depends on whether or not the Cat 5e cables are tied together or not.  If they are, but running in a conduit, you might still be able to fish a line up to where it needs to go.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

OK, I realise now that RG6 is what I know (in my limited capacity) as cable wiring. So it's all RJ45 I guess
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks Datalink - just done that, no RG6 to be seen - all Cat 5e - 4 terminations in each faceplate.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Check my comments above about cables runnng in a conduit.

I'm Here A Lot

Sorry - forgot to add my comment about that.

Second thing I did (after looking behind the face plates) was to look for a nice conduit to pull an RG6 through - none at all. All tied together and running free through the ceiling space (which I can't get to once it's out of the 'comms' room in the basement.

I guess a HDMI extender is the only option? Do Rogers boxes 'support' that - i.e are they good to pass the signal over Cat 5e?