Rogers on Demand down system wide Wednesday November 16, 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Rogers on Demand down system wide Wednesday November 16, 2016

I was in contact with Rogers technical support today due to two problems and got the message up front on the automated system that the Rogers on Demand is down and they are working to bring it back up.

My call was actually for related issue - I haven't had the Weather Channel from the D button, and On Demand would not load - the weather channel issue had been failing for 3 days, first with data not available, now just says loading as with the on demand.

The rep on the chat had me do the whole reboot routine, did it so I would have it on record.  Took a long time to authorize and load the guide fully, but finally got access to all on demand channels, only to find that the original problem was still there.

I called in again, got a nice woman quickly and she said the On Demand issue should have nothing to do with the weather channel issue.  Checked signal strengths, they are off, so sending a rep out Friday.

I forgot on the chat to do what I always do which is say, can you first check signal.

As @Gdkitty always says, if things aren't loading properly, it is probably signal - it was.  Plus the fact that it kept rebooting on its own about 2 hours after I tried a reboot or after the nightly download, was suggestive that I had a bad signal. 

By the way, does anyone know what a good signal level is for the nextbox 3.0, up and down.  I know how to check it, just can't remember what level it is.

In summary, it appears that ROD is down system wide for a while.

Bruce

***Edited Labels***

Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Re: Rogers on Demand down system wide Wednesday November 16, 2016

Hey @BS,

Thanks for sharing your findings with the Community. There has been reports of some Ontario customers experiencing issues with their On Demand service at this time. We are actively working to resolve the issue, for impacted customer in a timely manner. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Also, if you don't mind, please keep the Community updated regarding the outcome of your service Wednesday.

To answer your question, the FDC signal should be from - 14 to + 10. The RDC signal should be + 25 to + 55 to be within operational range for the digital box.

Hope this helps!

RogersCilio

I'm a Regular

Hi, can we please be given a proper explanation on why the outage occurred? These On Demand issues seem to be very common with Rogers and a little transparency to your customers goes a long way. It's easier for me to count on one hand the number of times On Demand has actually worked in the past year because it's been down or problematic more than it's been stable. My in-laws have had Bell Fibe for the past 4 years and not once have they had problems with On Demand. Yes their tv service has gone down a couple of times but that's a far cry from the number of problems I (and other Rogers customers) have had recently, and their On Demand has been flawless. If there's a serious issue with Rogers on Demand, we'd appreciate some detail. I think we would all love to know why your competitors can deliver a more reliable service. Is it because their service is IPTV? Is it because your on demand infrastructure is out-dated or over-capacity? What gives?
I've Been Around

Well put

I'm a Senior Advisor

This has been an ongoing question for a while and unfortunately it makes trouble shooting complicated. Wht the gut I spoke to first didn't check signals (I) usually check first myself and always ask them do it first. After telling the guy that I spoke to that I had rebooted 4 times in three days and reset the same number and it kept rebooting on its own one would think he would have checked signals. Oh well. Hope others get theirs back soon. I have both internet and cable signals that were in need of fixing and has effected my neighbourhood. Not at the box in front of the house ; the green comes but further back. Lesson learned. Always ask them to check signals.

As for issue of how many times in demand has had issues in the last year. Good question.

Bruce
I've Been Around

Our service with Rogers began the day before they announced the cancellation of Shomi.

We are now in our last two weeks and could not access it tonight - I think as part of the general problem with Rogers on Demand. We received the message that there was a problem loading the catalogue.

I tried rebooting the box twice before speaking with technical support. Their advice was to reboot again and then to wait 30 minutes before trying to access Shomi, to give the catalogue an opportunity to load. We did that and received the same error message. So we abandoned the TV for this evening.

Just now, 4 hours later, I tried again, with the same result. We still cannot access Shomi, and we receive the same message about the catalogue.

I have rebooted again and will check again in the morning. This is very frustrating and unsatisfactory.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

And here we go again! Last time ROD went down we didnt have it for 3 weeks. I got mildly compensated. But i hope this doesnt go on and on like the last time. Perfect timimg to. Shomi is going bye bye and everyone has been binge watching trying to get series watched. Twitter is going nuts with complaints. Oh well....can always go talk to the wife. HELP!!!!

Steve
I'm a Senior Advisor

@rexman  Yes, unfortunately, I think we have been through this far too many times in the last year.  We had very unpredictable ROD for about three weeks back around the second role out of Navigtr when the ROD servers had problems just as the new build rolled out - no way originally to know whether it was the ROD end, the boxes, or in some case, like mine this time, signal levels.  I have had signal levels 4 times in one year requiring them to come in and do work - changed the connectors and splitters just for good measure as they were clearly coroded one time, replaced a cable to our next door neighbour underground, they had a cable hanging from the tree to the house for quite a while.  She was not a happy camper when she knocked on our door to see if our tv was working properly.  

I and I stay, why?  I am not sure.  Other than the fact that we may be moving next year, so can't be bothered to change.

Ahh, life with modern technology connected with a mix of new and old infrastructure.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Cassia  It is unfortunate that the timing hasn't been good - on one level it was good - you missed the 16 months we spent getting a stable set top box, but it is not good that you lost Shomi just after you got here, and now this.

I would be asking for some compensation if I was in your shoes, in particular if this doesn't get fixed quickly.

You may actually still be in your grace period.  Hope things get better for you.  I do like most of my cable and what it offers, but reliability has not been great over the last year, as you can see if you search the other forum threads on TV.

Welcome to the forum and to Rogers TV - hope your future experiences improve.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

How about some compensation like a credit on our bills when this stuff happens?! Guide, On Demand, & Shomi all terribly slow and my Shomi hasn't even worked in 6 months tells me I'm not subscribed even though it shows up on my bill but is refunded due to my bundle. On Demand being down for more than an hour or 2 should be enough for some sort of compensation... I pay for services so I expect those services to work. The cost of cable tv is absolutely ridiculous to begin with!