Rogers on Demand - TV shows not resuming

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers on Demand - TV shows not resuming

I paused a TV movie on W network and when I came back it had reverted to the black and red screen with 2 options - play from start or cancel.  Is there a way to resume from the point of stopping?  Fast forward has been disabled so it appears I will have to sit through half the movie again to watch the last half.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Re: Rogers on Demand - TV shows not resuming

Hi @Tricia2724

I haven't watched a movie On Demand recently so i can't call recall the options. It could have been a system error which made you unable to resume from where you last left off.

I will gather some information regarding this issue.

In the meanwhile does anyone else in the Community have some suggestions?

RogersAsif

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Tricia2724, I haven't watched ROD in a while and can't recall pausing and walking away to see if I could resume later. I do know that if I pause a recorded show and walk away, it will eventually restart and play out to the end. The only way I know for sure I can resume a paused or stopped recorded show is to shut the TV off or watch something else.

I just tried to see what would happen with ROD (although I didn't pause it and just let it sit for a long time). I paused the show, then watched another channel and when I went back to ROD and found the show I had been watching again, it had a Resume button. Same thing if I turned the TV off and came back later. All I can think of that could have happened in your case was that the pause timed out and your show resumed and played out to the end before you returned. If that's what happened, I'd suggest turning the TV off or watching something else after pausing, not leaving it sit on the paused ROD show.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Hello @Tricia2724 - I use ROD (Rogers On Demand)
What @OLDYELLR said is correct, it probably resumed and ended.

Best option is to stop it the video, so when you go back to it, ROD will ask you to resume it. If you Pause it (Like VCR and DVD, if anyone recalls from the good ol' days) It will play automatically after being paused for a set time.
Fastforward doesn't work on ROD, only PVR recordings. (Also known as "Trick Play")

I think ROD essentially "Streams" the content from the marker/pointer of file. It doesn't have option to stream "fast forward".
Other services like Netflix, use multiple "markers" so it feels like you can forward, but you are just skipping to those markers.

Bottom line, Rogers doesn't have that marker feature. (Its not fast forward, Streaming doesn't have fast forward.)

Hope this helps!

and @RogersAsif You sir have been missing out Smiley Tongue Try a movie tonight if you can, Rogers On Demand has movies that just released to Video and also has some movies that are still on theatres.
So from time to time, it has movies that I want to watch. I end up saving money at theatre and cheaper pop corn! Smiley Tongue
Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

The information above answers the question @OLDYELLR @ShakTiburon Smiley Wink Thanks guys!

@ShakTiburon I will definitely have to check it out, didn't have a chance last night! Smiley Happy

RogersAsif

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks to everyone for the information.  I will try it again, and avoid the Pause button!

I'm a Senior Advisor

Pause worked for me if I then went to another channel, or turned the TV off. When I returned to the same show on ROD, it had buttons to Resume or Restart. I just returned to the same show hours later and it still has Resume and Restart and resumes where I paused it. I suspect it only times out if you leave it on the timeline screen indefinitely. Just a theory. Someone with more time on their hands can test it out.

I'm Here A Lot

Yes, the Stop button seems to work A-OK, and the movie was available even after turning off the TV. Thanks to all for solving this problem!
I'm a Senior Advisor

Okay, here's what I see happening when I leave a ROD show paused:

1. After 15 minutes a screen comes up that says,

"Pause timeout.

Your video has stopped due to inactivity.  Please go to Saved Videos to resume your selection.

[Continue]"

2. After 2 more minutes it goes to the ROD screen.

3. After 2 more minutes it plays a sample movie with a prompt to press "A" for ROD.

4. I can select "Saved Videos" at any time from the Menu and resume watching the show I paused.

So, in conclusion, it does appear that something went wrong when the OP got a black screen and couldn't resume.

(This is with an 8300HD, BTW.)

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for additional info. I rarely use ROD so there's a learning curve...
I had left the room so don't know if any messages popped up. I did try Saved Videos but there was nothing there. Perhaps a glitch in the system.