Rogers is rolling out a new guide

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers is rolling out a new guide

Bah.. of course..
Keswick is always one of the last ones on the list 😛

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello everyone

I do wonder why Toronto and Scarborough are late in the game. I guess they want to test it in the other areas before Toronto gets it?. That seems good.

Again i wish we had some of our own to do test on it to make sure we don't have a disaster or a launch that will have issues.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. toronto with such a high population... if there was a problem and needed a roll back, etc..

Better to do in a smaller area first.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Gdkitty - right now, I'm wishing I lived in Keswick - guess why.

@Meowmix - After realizing the Navigatr update WIPED MY 1TB DRIVE (that was 85% full just hours before), I rebooted, and then contacted tech support. They say it was fully tested. I guess we'll find out soon if I was the lone customer to have their drive wiped. My box is an 8642HD.

Anyhow, I went through all the menus and buttons and tested it this new Navigatr thing. I took some screenshots with my phone and will do a proper post later on after I get some sleep, but briefly:

• Navigating through the Navigatr Guide doesn't seem any faster than it was on the old Guide. There's still a slight delay.
  • Search is also just as slow as ever, perhaps even slower (took me 38 seconds to type "Banished", which still isn't found) - and for the reasons I posted the other day, is now LESS user-friendly.
  • So much for "easier to locate your favourite show" (Rogers blurb). I fail to see how it is any different to before (We had Guide & Search.. nothing is new here). Anyhow, I searched for "Coronation Street", and while it found it, if I wanted to set a Series Recording, I can only do so on the Newfoundland CBC channel(124?) that comes up by default. I don't want that. There is no way to find other showings of the Episode, like before - so it is infact MORE DIFFICULT to locate my favourite show or any other show (on the channel & timeslot that I wish).. This is a critical and unacceptable oversight, especially for sports fans.
  • You can filter the Guide by pressing 'C', and choose to show All Channels, Subscribed Channels, PPV only, or Music only. It saves the setting.
  • The Guide now has a dotted line separating the current time slot, to show where exactly you are in that timeslot. I guess it's for people who can't look at the clock time elsewhere on the screen and figure it out?
  • They haven't give us a way to view all Scheduled Recordings episode by episode ("By Time", in the old Guide). It's all folders now.. not at all convenient, user-friendly, or efficient.
  • Anything scheduled gets put on the "SAVED" screen in its own folder, which is shared with Recorded episodes, if they already exist for that Title. So @kso WAS right, that wasn't a graphics dept glitch with the #s, that's the way it was designed. Crazy, confusing.
  • I scheduled a "Coronation Street" Series recording via the Guide, and despite the Guide showing (correctly) upcoming episodes Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, the "SAVED" screen (ie: Saved & Scheduled screen) now shows a Coronation Street folder with just 2 Scheduled items - Tue & Wed's episodes. So that's a problem. Even if it fixes itself over the next few days, the user can not be certain their scheduling attempt has been successful.
  • Instead of the old 'partially-viewed' icon, there's a progress bar at the bottom of the folder, underneath the Title. I'm not sure yet how that works when there's multiple episodes in a folder, as my drive is empty other than my brief tests here. Also, in the same location beneath Title, the folder will now have a red dot when a show is "currently recording". I guess it's there because there's no Scheduled Recordings screen anymore.
  • Settings Menu: glitches.. some items are not checked/can't be checked(selected), and some of the default settings were wrong (such as "4:3 SDTV" was selected by default, when it obviously wasn't set that way).
  • The playback bar is ultra-narrow. Nice!
  • Same old "Before and After" padding settings: 5 mins+/-, 15, 30, 1hr, 3hr (groan). They can be set as a Default, too - in the Settings Menu. Not sure if the old Guide had that.
  • The Settings menu now includes a feature that allows you to name/rename your box from a list of predfined room names. Apparently you can also plug in a keyboard and type one?
  • They got rid of the "Stop recording AND DELETE" function that had been recently added to the old software! (after I suggested it in the IdeaBox years ago). Smiley Sad
  • Finally, the Mini Guide .. has a major usability issue. So you're watching something and press a direction arrow on your remote, up pops the Mini Guide.. nice. You scroll right, you scroll up, you scroll down a bit. Then you realize that nagivating through the channels 1 channel at a time is painfully slow, and you know you want to skip to a specific channel so you punch in the # on your keypad, like we've always been able to do when the Guide is visible. What happens? It changes the channel. So in other words, there's very little point to the Mini Guide, especially when the full Guide has the inset picture, just as before. It looks nice though.

IMHO, they should postpone further updates effective immediately.

We are, we're repeatedly told, "valued customers". Nope, we're guinea pigs trying out incomplete, buggy, and unfriendly software again.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

Yeah.. toronto with such a high population... if there was a problem and needed a roll back, etc..

The problem is that Rogers is not likely to listen. Even when customers start reporting problems they continue with the rollout as happened a few years ago when a new SARA update caused major issues. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

New navigator display is harder to read and the recording list area eally sucks.  I want the old look back.  I used to be able to select classic view for guide but I can't do that any more.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JohhnyRockets wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

The problem is that Rogers is not likely to listen. Even when customers start reporting problems they continue with the rollout as happened a few years ago when a new SARA update caused major issues. 

There is at least one time, if not two, after RTN came out, that they DID stop it though.
Where the update for whatever reason when they started mass updating, was pretty much killing boxes, not working at all (till the new update came out).

Not saying they have a perfect track record, far from it 😛
Just likely the reasoning WHY the order/areas they are doing... if they DID choose to stop the roll out.

BUGS/QUIRKS they may not stop the roll out, no.   But something groundbreaking, maybe.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@theClubHopper  Record for most edits in a short time period goes to... 😄
(My email notifications exploded this morning with a notification every time you edited it, since you mentioned my name)

I see you have the 8642... i wonder if/how any different it will be on the 9865, at least SPEED wise?
Truthfully.. I think they should have left the 8642 as it is.. possibly then only push this out on the 9865 and then really concentrate on that one..
As in past updates on the 8642.. its just not powerful enough it seems for some of the software stuff...

HOPEFULLY someone can chime in on any differences with the 9865... since RTN is definately faster on it than the 8642.

I was HOPING that they had fixed any of that happening.. apparently not.
While it DID happen when RTN came out, etc.... i am still hoping its still only a smaller %.

Other than people on here, etc saying it... i personally know 40+ people with rogers.. and not one of them had it happen..

(1tb in the 8642?  You updgraded it?)

The filter option you mention sound interesting.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just checked mine.

Glad i am at like less than 1% on mine (well, 1% is bigger.. as i have the 9865 1tb + 1tb extender).

One movie.. a few straggler tv shows, etc... nothing major.. JUST INCASE this happens to me 😛
(though i have been very lucky to date to avoid like 90% of the bugs that others experience)

I Plan to Stick Around

PVR list sounds confusing. Picture boxes like ROD have no purpose and don't add to the pvr functions. It was less confusing before!