Rogers anywhere tv app on sony bravia tv

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers anywhere tv app on sony bravia tv

The laptop will not block an hdmi out because it will have no way of telling the website what screen your watching it on. The mobile phone tells everything to the app so it knows your connected via hdmi and will block it mostly because they negociated and agreed to the rights holders for these restrictions to be put in place and enforced on their mobile app.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to expand a bit more on what Pauly said.

As he said, its more about rights. 
That when you are paying for  your TV, and get the Anyplace TV included, you are paying to watch it in your house.  And in the case of anyplace TV, for you personally to watch elsewhere.  (assuming that only you will be watching on  your small screen). 
That with your payments, your paying for  you to watch it, not someone else.

That with allowing to stream via other methods from the phone, etc.. makes it way to easy to technically then just plug in at any friends place, and watch stuff there.  Which 'technically' isnt allowed due to those rights.
Though.. this then effects being able to watch in  your own home then too Smiley Sad (but they assume you have TV boxes there).

As  Pauly said, the computer they dont really have any way of knowing/monitoring in the same way.
On phones there are ways of monitoring the hardware & methods of output. 

I've Been Around

solution = switch to BELL - 

I had rogers...I now have Bell and can cast from their streaming app on my iphone onto any TV using my Chromecast as long as the Chromecast and my phone are on the same Wifi

I think Rogers uses copyrights etc as an excuse, because Bell has the same shows and its not problem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Right.
But its who OWNS the shows.

And guess which company, after they bought chorus... owns the rights to about probably 2/3 of the channels in canada now? Smiley Sad

Regardless, most of its probably MOOT now, with this App with rogers at least.  As it will probably be no longer developed with the move to Ignite.