Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR

Here's the link, and I have a bit of a different read on it...

http://www.cantechletter.com/2015/10/espials-long-term-prospects-remain-excellent-despite-setback-sa...

If you read the analysis of the announcement, its that Rogers (maybe) isn't deploying their NEXT gen software.  They'll still be using their previous gen s/w and using Espials 4k middleware, if I read the analysis correctly.

Full disclosure:  I went to university with Espial's CEO.  Nice guy 🙂

I'm a Senior Advisor

Now that Rogers is advertising the Nextbox 4K, I thought Id try to find some info online about it.

It would have been easier to find Saquatch.  There is NOTHING anywhere on this box...not on cisco,s site, not on Technicolor's site, nowhere....

Well, almost nowhere.  There is some info online about a box Cisco calls the "G10".  Snce Cisco internally calls the NB3 the "G8", it would stand to reason that the G10 is the new NB4K. 

From an executive blog post, here are some of the highlighted specs..

"

— HEVC compression, so as to support 4Kp60, 10-bitUltraHD video

— 16 tuners, for simultaneous viewing, recording, and streaming to IP devices in the home

— Optional transcoding to support a wide range of connected devices

— On-board Wi-Fi, to watch recorded and live TV content anywhere in the home

— 2 Gigabytes of DRAM memory

— A 12K DMIPS, ARM-based processor, for better-performing everything

— A 2.7 Gpix/second graphics engine, for faster and better UI rendering"

I'm a Senior Advisor

If you have a new 4K TV, 4K is channel 999 and you have to subscribe at extra cost, no doubt.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @OLDYELLR

No doubt that some channels later on will cost a bit more due to the 4K but what do we expect? We know Rogers will do that. I am pretty sure they will charge for the channels playing the sports in 4K.

I want to see how much the box is though when they announce it. If the current NB3 is $24.99 the new one might be $29.99 or more.
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @OLDYELLR

No doubt that some channels later on will cost a bit more due to the 4K but what do we expect? We know Rogers will do that. I am pretty sure they will charge for the channels playing the sports in 4K.

I want to see how much the box is though when they announce it. If the current NB3 is $24.99 the new one might be $29.99 or more.

Nextbox 4k will be $12.95/mo, same as an NB HD Terminal. 

http://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/hardware

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Lurker

Thank you!. No wonder why its so cheap... It does not have PVR  functionality. So its useless unless you do not want a PVR.  if you want a PVR unless you pay & get the NB3 & use both as a Whole Home.. I wonder why they went this way... Many people use the PVR functions. Maybe Cloud service? 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @Lurker

Thank you!. No wonder why its so cheap... Its not a PVR. So its useless if you want a PVR unless you pay & get the NB3 & use both as a Whole Home..

Or, it marks the start of some form of cloud-based PVR where a physical hard drive is no longer required....

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Lurker

Yeah i thought of that as well. Maybe Cloud base as you posted above on the specs. Who knows but hopefully we see this.
I'm a Senior Advisor

I wonder how much disk space it would take to record 4K programs compared to regular HD.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I look forward to this thread becoming more active soon.

Interesting that the NB 4K seems to be an IPTV type box that seems to be a significant part of the future direction of TV.  Bell has already gone that direction with their ability to 'Restart' a program that you catch in the middle of the show.

There has been talk about TV going this direction for some time now - and it looks like the 4K box is more of a streaming device - which is much like many of the other competitors out there are doing - like Roku, Apple TV, etc.

And the question of how much hard disk space a 4K recording would take - rough guess would be approximately 4 times as much space - except that the new compression for 4K, I think, is better - so maybe 3 times as much space as HD.

And for those of you who are interested in 4K, but haven't pulled the trigger yet - I say GO FOR IT.  I just bought a 75 inch 4K Samsung TV - and I saved a BUNDLE on it by buying a 2014 display model (got it for under $4,000).

And I must say - upconverted 1080p content looks AMAZING.  I've got a 70 inch Sharp 1080p TV right beside my 4K TV, so I can watch the same program on both TV's at once - and if ANYBODY ever tells you that upconverting an HD signal is a waste on a 4K TV - you can tell them that I say they don't know what they are talking about.  (Now - granted - my TV is one of the higher end models - and it MAY have a better upscaling engine than some of the models out there - but the picture quality of some of the better TV shows I've been watching almost brings tears to my eyes.)

And I noticed last year that Boxing Day sales seem to be BY FAR the best deals out there on the price of TV's over the course of the year - so, my recommendation is spend every cent you have on Boxing Day on the BIGGEST set you can get - and make sure it is a Smart TV.  I haven't really started using the Smart features yet (of either of my TV's) - but it seems to be the BEST way to view 4K content from Netflix and some of the many other 4K streaming services.  (I mention this because I've noticed that, despite the fact that I dropped a new $400 video card into my computer, and I'll be connecting my computer to my 4K TV, Netflix still DOES NOT let you watch 4K content THROUGH YOUR COMPUTER on your TV.  They limit it to HD - because they want to TRY to limit copying of the best quality content - but - I've just read that there is now a flurry of 'cracked' 4K movies hitting the torrent sites.)

But you CAN watch Netflix 4K on your Smart TV through streaming apps.

So Rogers 4K is great - but, if you have a choice, choose a Smart TV.  The options for other apps that may be VERY useful for streaming 4K are abundant.  (And I mention this because I didn't have a clue about what a Smart TV was when I bought my 2 TV's.  So I'm sure some of you may be in the same boat - and I guess that most new models are smart TV's - but I'm glad I NOW know what they can do.  I was clueless until recently.  And I've now been spending A LOT of time reading about new 4K tech.  (So my new video card has HDMI 2.0 out (to get ALL versions of 4K on my TV from my computer.) )  (Note:  I just looked online and noticed that ALL decent large 4K TV's seem to be Smart TV's)

I hope you are as excited about 4K becoming available as I am.  And you may soon just shake your head at those who say that 4K is 'useless.'  I even read one reviewer recently say the same thing about HD. 

Those poor sods are blind.