Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR

@Lurker wrote:

No specs for that model number on the Cisco website or at Technicolor (the company that bought Cisco's STB business).

Thats not that suprising?

I dont think there even is still a PROPER full posting for the 9865 exact one that rogers uses on the cisco site, etc..  they only list the 4 tuner versions.
Rogers seems to get slightly MODIFIED ones.

I Plan to Stick Around

As of the size, it looks wider than NX3 and deeper, much deeper http://www.wifihifi.ca/uploads/Rogers4Kbox.jpg

As long as the cisco logo is gone from the front when it arrives... Also it seems it's going to be actively cooled again. One more thing I do care about is the make of the HDD inside, I hope it's seagate, because the most recent batch of NB3s with Toshiba HDDs are just horrid noise-wise.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Be careful about Seagate as they have reliability issues - see this https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Akimova my only HDD problem in a PVR was with a Maxtor. I also had a Maxtor go bad in a PC.  Maxtor merged with Seagate. My PVRs have WD, which I've always found reliable. But you can't really go by brand names from the past with technology changing so rapidly.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

Just got myself a 4K TV. Can't wait to watch all the Jays home games in 2016 in 4K!

I'm a Trusted Contributor

But how much EXTRA are you willing to pay for this privilege?

The question is - how much more will Rogers charge for a 4K PVR?

And will they charge more for 4K channels?

Will there be several channels specifically in 4K?  How will this work?  (Because initially there will be so little 4K content)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Very good questions.

I would guess that it MAY be a bonus package (which then would cost more $$).. but that would mean taking over EXTRA channels..

Otherwise.. it could be say BOX dependant..
How a current box can do 720, 1080, etc... that maybe it will be available in 4k there.. you just need the BOX to do it.. other wise the current box will just downscale it to 1080?

I'm a Senior Advisor

Having extra channels for this would be ludicrous. What happened to 3D? I'm glad I didn't buy a 3D TV when shopping for my last one.  I bought a Smart TV though. Right now I see a lot of 4K TVs out there for about the same price as Smart TVs, so people are buying them. Since the Nextbox 3.0 is now getting a bit long in the tooth and has issues performing to spec, a new box with more processing power is due.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

I Plan to Stick Around

I read an article yesterday that Rogers is not happy with Espial and will not be using them. I try to add the link but this forum deletes my messages. It's on Cantechletter dot com. Espial's stock tanked on the announcment.