Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR

Interesting with the no PVR part..

To record, as mentioned, you would need the NB2/3 whole home.. but then would NOT be recording in 4k then i would assume?
Unless they COULD record the 4k stream (obviously would take up MUCH more room).. just perhaps could not play back in 4k on those boxes?

The IPTV then possibly makes some more sense.
With no PVR functionality.. but with IPTV, you could do more of the bell 'restart' type thing, etc?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I wonder how much disk space it would take to record 4K programs compared to regular HD.

I don't think it would take that much more than it does today and perhaps less than some channels.  Don't forget that everything today is MPEG-2.  The 4K content will be HEVC which uses h.265.  These is at least two generations beyond MPEG-2.  Rogers appears to use varying bitrate for HD channels, but a full ATSC channel for 1080i has a bitrate of 19Mbps.  Netflix ppears to be using a bitrate of 15Mbps for the 4K content that they are streaming.  But one of the big differences is that Netflix's 4K content is primarily drams without a lot of movement and these can be encoded at slower than real time.  Rogers is going to be showing a lot of sports live which has to be encoded in real-time and which has lots of movement, particularly hockey.

I've Been Around

No 4K on channel 999

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Markate

Yes there isn't any 4K feed on the channel 999. The reason being is even of they turn it on, no Rogers cable box can push 4K other then the new box which comes out sometime next month. So it's useless having a 4K channel turned on if no current box can push and or provide 4K yet.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, it says,

"To order 4KTV service on channel 999, please call (888)764-3771." If you call, they might explain. Even if you have a new 4K TV, you still need a 4K box and Rogers has to actually broadcast a 4K feed.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @ OLDYELLR

That is correct.. In order to even view it in 4K you need the 4K box from Rogers as it won't show u 4K. A couple more weeks!
I'm a Trusted Contributor

This might have a few facts about Rogers 4K that are new to you:

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers/rogers-4k-tv-pricing/

And this is an interesting read for anybody who wants a much deeper knowledge about the upcoming 4K service:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers-gigabit-internet-4k-tv-1825701/

And I find this article VERY INTERESTING.  http://www.wifihifi.ca/LatestNewsHeadlines/GameChanger:Ultra-High-DefTakesTVtotheNextLevel.html

I had assumed that the only 4K Rogers box available was ONLY a streaming device, like Roku, and NOT a PVR, because the box on the Rogers website currently is only a streaming device - but reports say there will be a future 4K PVR as well:  (quote from the wifihifi article)  "There will be versions of the 4K box with and without recording functionality, Lazarus says."

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @billmcintyre

Not bad!.honestly i don't really care if it's not a PVR for the time being. You could always get a PVR to another TV and use Whole Home as solution until then if u have multiple TV's.

So i called Rogers and yes the boxes are available ONLY for the ones that registed online and u have to get a phone call for that. Once they are done then new customers and stores will get them
I Plan to Stick Around

So, I got a voicemail today from Rogers telling me that 4K TV is available in my area. An actual person left the message, not a machine. Anyways, and I'm quoting here:

"...It's 12.95 for the rental of the terminal. It is only HD at this time. HD PVR 4K terminals are coming out earlier in 2016."

Okay. First, how is 4k TV available in my area if there's no hardware to support it. Second. I already own 4 HD PVRs. So what exactly would I be renting for $12.95, if no 4K terminals are available at this time. Third. I already have HD cable TV. So why do I need to book an install for a terminal I already have to receive a service I already have? Unless the voicemail wasn't quite clear.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Sunfox

There is hardware to support 4K in ur area. The new 4K terminal boxes are out. There are standard 4K HD BOXES. They are not PVRS. The 4K PVR Box should be released sometime in April.

If you want a 4K box you would need to contact Rogers and have them set up a appointment for the technician to come and set up the box for u. The technician needs to add another filter that can turn on 4K and such. Its not a normal HD box.

If you want to get one of the boxes added to your account, call in and do so!.

I have my appointment set up actually in a couple of hours from now ( 8-11am) to bring the 4K box and set it up in the bedroom.