Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR

Bell just announced they are providing right off the bat a whole home pvr 4k box. Bell 1 Rogers0. Your move rogers, cant beleive they released the 4k box without whoel home software and are waiting till march to release the pvr. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Channel 999 starting working properly last night so I cancelled the technician. 

Also confirming no one was charged the $49.99 install fee? I will review my next invoice to make sure this is the case. 

I must admit, the content (which is over the top 4k wildlife stuff) does look significantly better than HD. 

I guess we'll see what tomorrows Raptors game looks like and later Saturdays Leaf game. 

I don't mind the new Navigator, looks plain. The new 4k box remote is pretty nice as the buttons light up. 

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@jayman69  But Rogers was the first to ANNOUNCE that they were going to have 4K.   It's a nice little trick companies do to stop their customers from fleeing over to the competition.  There's actually a name for this type of business stunt.  I forget the name of it.   And many people speculate that the reason the Nextbox is STILL so buggy and unreliable is that Rogers RUSHED the NB 2 out the door without doing proper beta testing because they wanted to have SOMETHING to stop customers fleeing to some other company that was offering something weird called fibe.

And is the 4K PVR due in March or mid-April?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @jayman69

Different software, different boxes. Plus Bell rushed to provide the 4K PVR which isn't even released yet or a release date either. Rogers wanted to be first and and so they released the 4K box but also didn't replace the current PVR due to the new update causing issues.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @jayman69 & @billmcintyre

Just wanted to add on my above post that Bell ONLY offers the 4K PVR box on a outright purchase for $599 & a one time fee of $75. Rogers has a montly service price for the HD 4K box & install fee is waived. 

Also you MUST be a existing Bell fibe customer to get the 4K PVR on a outright purchase.

Available for purchase to existing Fibe TV customers in the Toronto and Ottawa area.

Available for rental to all Fibe TV customers in late February. Sign up to be notified when the 4K PVR is available in your area.

"Contract term No term
4K Whole Home PVR $599.00
Get a complete and customized installation:
Installation fee: $75.00
Available to existing Bell Fibe TV residential customers in select areas of Quebec. Subject to change without notice; not combinable with other offers. Taxes extra. Other conditions apply.
Each additional TV requires one HD receiver ($7/mo. rental plan or $199 purchase). A maximum of 5 wireless receivers can be paired with the 4K PVR.

So you see its a very different & not the same.

Just a little clarification:

"Jan. 18, 2016 /CNW Telbec/ - Bell today announced that Fibe TV customers in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa and Québec City can now purchase Bell's new 4K Whole Home PVR, the most advanced 4K PVR available today."  And yes - NEW customers seem to have to wait a month to get a 4K PVR.  Bell probably has a small number of these boxes available.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @billmcintyre

That is correct. The problem is i would NOT pay $599 for the box meanwhile a current Rogers customers & new Rogers customers can get the 4K box for $12.95 without a PVR function. 

@jayman69 wrote:

Bell just announced they are providing right off the bat a whole home pvr 4k box. Bell 1 Rogers0. Your move rogers, cant beleive they released the 4k box without whoel home software and are waiting till march to release the pvr. 

They're waiting because the 4K box runs the Navigatr software, which MAY be barely acceptable running a set top box for Live/On-Demand purposes, but it in an ABSOLUTE UNTESTED NIGHTMARISH PIECE OF GARBAGE as far as the PVR function goes.  So many bugs remain in the Navigatr code that Rogers must be concentrating on getting it to function with 4K boxes and anyone stuck with a current HD Nextbox 2 or Nextbox 3 seem to be "expendable" as customers as far as Rogers is concerned.  Check out the Navigatr topics here on Rogers forums to see what customers think of it.

I Plan to Stick Around

Just an update for Meowmix. My 4k box still turns on by itself. I wish they would fix this.
Highlighted

@Schummi wrote:
Just an update for Meowmix. My 4k box still turns on by itself. I wish they would fix this.

At least it turns on.  Many Nextbox 2 & Nextbox 3 customers who are victims of the latest Navigatr update from Rogers find the box keeps going to sleep and the ONLY way they can turn it on is to UNPLUG THE POWER CORD TO FORCE A REBOOT.  And this is happening to many customers several times a day !

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats