Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @wayner92

I believe it does. I spoke to someone at Rogers which is in the management team and also spoke to someone at Technicolor and both said the Whole Home PVR won't be enabled on the current 4K box until the 4K PVR Box is out. Also take what normal reps say with a grain of salt. Some reps either don't know or aren't trained to answer all the questions.

Then the obvious follow-up is will the 4K PVR work with slave boxes (if that is the term) for that are non-4K for 4K content?  If they do then I would think this requires the 4K box to transcode the signal from a 2160p file encoded with H.265 (akak HEVC) to MPEG-2 (or possible MPEG-4) file at 1080i or 720p?

I am guessing that the answer to that is no and the best case scenario is that you can only distribute 4K content to 4K boxes and you have to record a file in 1080i, 720p or 480p/i if you want to distribute to non-4K boxes.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Posting in DSLReports indicates that this is the box, which has the "latest MoCa Technology".  That would seem to indicate MoCA 2.0 which would then be used for Whole Home purposes.

http://www.technicolor.com/en/solutions-services/connected-home/video-devices/cable-set-top-boxes/ca...

http://www.mocalliance.org/

Edit:  From the technicolor page:  "Multi-room and multi-screen services: using MoCA 2.0 for client/server architecture".

That begs the question that has been stated above, connected to what?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Datalink

That is correct. That is the 4K box Rogers has... So indeed it does have a new MoCa. So there is the answer then.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

According to Wikipedia MoCA 2.0 is backwards interoperable with MocA 1.1.  So shouldn't a 4K non-PVR box be able to receive a signal from an older gen MoCA PVR?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @wayner92

Depends if the software is added and enabled on the older box which will work with the new MoCa. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Raptors 4K Broadcast

Rogers is Broadcasting the Raptors Game in 4K on Thursday.....here is the link of the Press Release...

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/global-first-rogers-nba-and-bt-sport-announce-first-ever-live-n...

Thanks Rogers....we will enjoy....!!!!

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @kevinlayne2001

Very nice!!!!!! Glad to see it!

I have never even the Raptors play outside of Canada and US!. That will be exciting!

"Sportsnet brings Canadians the Toronto Raptors vs. the Orlando Magic tomorrow (January 14) at 3 p.m. ET, live from The O2 Arena in London, England."
I'm Here A Lot

my box is coming friday

I Plan to Stick Around

Wow. Guess I am leaving work early tomorrow! Thanks for sharing!
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @jayman69

That's great to hear!