Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR

Hi @wayner92

(Re: post 165) Audio video receivers with support for up to HDMI 2.0a will support all 4K including the newest HDR, HDMI 2.0 will support all versions of 4K up to 60 fps, and HDMI 1.4 will only support 4K up to 30 fps.

I'm not an expert on AVR's, but I believe you may be able to connect the digital audio out of your PVR into your receiver if your receiver doesn't have the newest HDMI support, or, if your receiver supports ARC, I think you may be able to send the HDMI cable straight from the PVR to the TV, and then hook an HDMI cable OUT of your TV on the one HDMI port on the TV that supports ARC - and run that cable out of your TV into the ARC HDMI on your Receiver - and set your AVR to get it's sound from there.  (I'm not certain about this - because I'm still learning about receivers - but I think that will work.)

Hi @Dimundz88

The Nextbox 4K runs Navigatr, and your existing PVR will soon be infected with it - so you're going to have to get used to it.  Many people have asked if they can 'refuse' the 'upgrade' to Navigatr, and lots who have experienced the fun times with Navigatr have asked if Rogers would PLEASE give them back the old interface.  Nope.

Hi @studlygoorite

If you have Cogeco, I assume that you DON'T have access to Rogers cable through your cable TV connection.

As some people may not be aware of, I'm 95% certain that Rogers is required by law to make its 4K feed available to Bell and other telco's - BUT if Cogeco doesn't have a decoder box that can handle 4K - then you are out of luck.

Now - the online option is a little more complicated:  you may add a video card to your computer like I did so that you can watch 4K on your computer - and I have my computer connected to my 75 inch 4K TV using a GeForce 960 video card that has HDMI 2.0 output - and provides 60 fps 4K video.  (And I think the option to get 4K video at 60 fps will be best if you are watching sports.)

Many more options are available to get HDMI in the 1.4 older version - but HDMI 1.4 only supports 4K video up to 30 fps.

Now - where are you going to find the sports you want online - in 4K.  That is a little harder.  I think it may exist - but you're going to have to search hard to find it.  I'm pretty sure there are some streaming services that offer some of the ESPN and a few other sports channels.  I'm not sure if or how many of them will offer these channels in 4K.  I strongly suspect that none of them do - AT THE MOMENT.  This may change in a month (or longer).

Another option - but I don't think it really will work for you for sports - is Rogers says that it will soon be offering 4K programming on Shomi.  I think this is just a few movies and TV series - probably provided to Rogers through a deal with Netflix.  But I've made about 5 calls to Rogers asking if 4K is available NOW on Shomi (because even though I don't have a 4K Rogers box, with my ability to see 4K on my Tv through my computer - if Shomi (available online) had 4K content - then I could see it that way.  But I'm 99.9% certain that Shomi will never have the sports you want.

Or - you could just move.

But one other option is that Bell says they will be coming out with 4K this month.  The news of this hasn't really hit any news reports yet, but a forum post says Jan 18 is the day.  IF you had Bell in your area - this might be an option for some sports 4K programming in the future - but Bell would tell you if you needed Bell Fibe to your house - or to the node near your house.

You might also want to look into satellite.  I don't think any 4K options are available YET.  But soon - who knows?

Streaming through your computer is probably your best bet.  What is available now may be very different than what is available a month from now - which may be totally different than what is available 2 months from now - so you may need to do the same search again every month to get the new info.

Good luck.  (And I've been spending about 6 hours a day - every day - for about 4 weeks now - trying to research how to get the highest quality images to my new 4K TV.  I think I may add an over the air antenna to get NON -compressed 1080p channels that are available to me here in Toronto.  About 20 to 30 channels (maybe 40) should look better than the compressed Rogers channels.

And a TV over the air antenna might be another option for you (in the future.)  CES last week had a test channel being shown of 4K TV over the air.  How soon it will actually come to the airwaves is another question.  Probably years.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for that Bill.   For now, I am reasonably happy with my dual box setup.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey @Meowmix

Have you noticed the Stingray music channels not working on the new 4k box?  They work fine on my old box, but nothing on the new one?

Thanks

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Schummi

Mine did a couple of times then stopped and now works fine. Maybe a reboot is in order?
I Plan to Stick Around

Tried that. But thanks. Maybe I have to wait. I have noticed that it takes a half hour or so for shomi to come back after a reboot. I will wait a bit and see if stingray comes back.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Schummi

My NB3 does that as well with the Galaxy channels sometimes. It stops working then works lol
I'm a Senior Contributor

Can anyone comment on whether or not the new 4K box can use the whole home pvr setup that you can do with a next box pvr? Thanks.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Correct, no Rogers in my area and no talk of Bell Satellite, Shaw Direct or even Cogeco getting this offer........yet. Thanks

Order Now!
UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone Live
LIVE: Saturday, January 18th 10:00 PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of January 16th

He's back! Irish superstar Conor McGregor makes his return to the Octagon on January 18, and he's kicking off 2020 with a welterweight showdown against the man with the most wins in UFC history, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Returning to action for the first time since October 2018 in the main event of UFC 246, the two-division champion from Dublin known as "The Notorious" one wants to make a statement against Albuquerque action hero Cerrone, who has picked up five post-fight performance bonuses in his last five bouts.

Topic Stats