Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR

To me, the whole point of getting a 4k STB from Rogers is for 4k quality video and not audio. 

That being said, I think it is best to run this directly via HDMI to a TV to ensure the cleanest non upscalling, passthroughing, etc connection for video and figure out the audio from their depending on your options. 

I have yet to see the rear connection inputs/outputs of the new Rogers 4K STB but maybe component to TV is an option from STB and fibre optic to AVR is an option for some ppl?

But again, my priority is video, and am lucky enough to have a good audio option. 

For some people, innitially running audio through their tv speakers was necessary at first buying a 4k tv until finding a speaker set up that worked for them. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Well said, AVR do go obsolete quite quickly.

Heck, my 4k tv I bought a year ago is already on its way out from what I am reading up on HDR and Oled. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Side note, I

A. Just received an email that my 4k box install is confirmed for install but saw a install fee charge of $49.99, TMN add on for $16.95 and Movie Entertainment Magazine for $2. This did not seem right as nowhere have I read that these are mandatory addons/charges so I called the number back, asked to speal to the associate I originally ordered the box and scheduled the install from and asked him to remove these charges. He agreed that $49.99 install fee will actually NOT be charged for anyone, and the TMN add ons were not necessary but automatically came with the 4k box package. Weird.

B. I also just received an email from Rogers letting me know the new NAVIGATR will be rolling out to my box within the next 2 weeks automatically. I briefly read awhile back that this new update absolute sucks? Hope this isn't true or is at least fixed or has been now fixed. The also weird part is when I called a month ago asking about this auto update they told me it had been rolled out in all of GTA EXCEPT the city of toronto (really Rogers?) other than for 15,000 users in the city. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Dimundz88

The installation fee will be added hut once your bill comes out and it's on there without a refund. Call in and get them to refund it back. Mine did the same and called in and the lady was nice and removed as she knew about the free install. They have to charge it but apparently the system didn't register to remove it after.

Yes the new update is in the new box and also being updated to current boxes as of this week and next..Hopefully it's a updated fixed one but I don't think so.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I am in Stoney Creek and want to watch the Leafs and Jays in 4k, is there any way at all I can watch these broadcasts being a Cogeco Cable customer? If it's for Rogers customers only, is there anyway to become a customer online?

I'm a Senior Advisor

@studlygoorite I take it you don't have Rogers Cable in your area. That's the way the territories are divided up so there is no competition, unless it's satellite TV.  Check with Bell or Shaw if they offer it.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry, I mentioned in a previous post I have the 8300 STB but I actually have the 9865 NB3.0 STB. 

From what I am reading through Rogers community forums, the Navigatr is horrible. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @studlygoorite

Well Rogers has a contract with NHL and owns the Leafs so u am willing to guess that it might be only for Rogers unless Rogers gives Bell and Shaw rights. Again you need to contact them in order to get any information on if any Hockey games with them will be broadcasted in 4K.

You would have to contact Rogers Cable department and have them make a cable account for your and set up a date to bring u the 4K box. That's the only way.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Schummi says "But I plan on swapping to the 4k pvr in March (?) when it becomes available."  Many reports say the Rogers Nextbox 4K PVR will be available mid April.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @Dimundz88

If you want to get access to the very limited 4K content Rogers will be offering, the 4K Nextbox will give it to you if you don't want to wait for the 4K Nextbox PVR that is supposed to be available in mid April.

You can keep your existing PVR AND use the 4K box.  The 4K box is supposed to use a different remote frequency than the NB3 (9865).

And - yes, when Rogers hooks up your new box they will split your existing cable for you (3 times).

About HDMI Mhl:  "Essentially one end of an MHL cable will plug into the micro USB port on your phone or tablet while the other will plug into an HDMI port on a television or monitor and your phone's screen will then be mirrored on the external screen."