Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR

Ah, so the voicemail was a little muddled then. Not sure about adding a filter to enable something... but still, I don't think I can live without a PVR in that room. Especially at $150/year! There's a reason I own my boxes and don't rent. 🙂

Was hoping that 4k availablity would signal that my area was ready for the new gigabit internet as well, but my modem's still synced at 20/3.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Sunfox

Yeah they don't really say much on the voicemail lol. The filter is to enable the 4K and to enable the box as again this isn't a standard HD box. It's free anyways. You don't pay for them to come for the appointment.

Well wait for April and The 4K PVR Box should be out by then if you want to get it!

As for the Gigabyte Internet, i do believe it is out. Give Rogers a call and see if it is for ur area.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @Sunfox  Please don't fall for the confusion that you NEED gigabit internet to get 4K TV from Rogers.  There was one tech writer who I blasted in the comments of the newspaper article when they claimed that 'current coaxial cable' 'couldn't handle 4K TV' and you needed gigabit internet to get 4K and you needed 'fibre.'  I was shocked that the newspaper writer did a few hours research and thought they were qualified to pontificate about new technology.

You can stream 4K video live from sources like Netflix with a 25 Mbps internet speed.

But I must display my ignorance about one aspect of the initially available 4K terminals.  If they are NOT PVR's - when we are watching some of the first rare 4K live TV programs - with those boxes - are we able to Pause and Rewind the live 4K TV stream?

And for those who want to watch Shomi in 4K - I talked with one of the tech people - and they have only been informed about some aspects of 4K - and although you can use your computer to access Shomi, apparently the tech person says there is NOT YET any 4K program material visible on Shomi. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Oh, I know gigabit intenet isn't required - but I'm slightly more interested in gigabit internet than I am in non-PVR 4k TV!

I only have one 4K TV in the house, in a bedroom, and it's basically all timeshifted programming.

I thought I'd read somewhere that when an area had been upgraded to support gigabit/4k, existing modems would sync on 24/4 channels instead of the current 20/3... or at least, not 20/3. But, I might be misremembering.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am not all that interested in 4K tv as I gather it will only be sports at first and as the only 'sport' I watch is F1 it is unlikely that will be in true 4k for years.  Maybe when there is a 4K capable PVR with a big disk drive...

But I am interested in Gigabit Internet and especially if Rogers starts to offer IPV6...after all while they are changing their gear to do 4K and Gb Internet they may as well do so as there are no V 4 addresses left.

I'm an Advisor

@billmcintyre wrote:

Hi @Sunfox  Please don't fall for the confusion that you NEED gigabit internet to get 4K TV from Rogers.  There was one tech writer who I blasted in the comments of the newspaper article when they claimed that 'current coaxial cable' 'couldn't handle 4K TV' and you needed gigabit internet to get 4K and you needed 'fibre.'  I was shocked that the newspaper writer did a few hours research and thought they were qualified to pontificate about new technology.

You can stream 4K video live from sources like Netflix with a 25 Mbps internet speed.

But I must display my ignorance about one aspect of the initially available 4K terminals.  If they are NOT PVR's - when we are watching some of the first rare 4K live TV programs - with those boxes - are we able to Pause and Rewind the live 4K TV stream?

And for those who want to watch Shomi in 4K - I talked with one of the tech people - and they have only been informed about some aspects of 4K - and although you can use your computer to access Shomi, apparently the tech person says there is NOT YET any 4K program material visible on Shomi. 

@billmcintyre

It's nice to see tech writers are marketing services like gigabit internet (not).Smiley Tongue

I'm on the older grandfathered Hybrid Fiber 150/15 internet package, and get 200mbps downloads all the time. 4K is a no brainer with speeds like that. I may get a 4K TV somewhere down the road, but I seriously doubt I would get a Nextbox 4K box. The current Nexboxes are a joke and there's no reason to believe a newer one will be any better. I've been a Netflix subscriber for years and its content just keeps getting better. I'm slowly moving towards "cutting the cord" with Rogers and possibly going with more streaming services, aside from Netflix.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have a Nextbox 3.0 (8 tuner, blue display) and the thing honestly isn't that bad. Certainly the fastest cable box from Rogers... well, ever. I also have a few 8642HD units, and on antiquated SARA software they're usable... but I also have one on the newer Nextbox software, and the thing is completely unusable. Doing anything takes forever, like bringing up a list of recorded shows takes about 10 seconds. Navigating it takes 2-3 seconds between button presses. Total joke. I should get that downgraded to SARA, only I know I'd lose my recordings.

I'm only on 100/10 here, but it routinely benches to 140/14.5, so that's pretty good.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @timlocke

F1 has said it will release 4K within 2016 so hopefully it happens. I watch F1 my self as well.
I'm an Advisor

@Sunfox wrote:

I have a Nextbox 3.0 (8 tuner, blue display) and the thing honestly isn't that bad. Certainly the fastest cable box from Rogers... well, ever. I also have a few 8642HD units, and on antiquated SARA software they're usable... but I also have one on the newer Nextbox software, and the thing is completely unusable. Doing anything takes forever, like bringing up a list of recorded shows takes about 10 seconds. Navigating it takes 2-3 seconds between button presses. Total joke. I should get that downgraded to SARA, only I know I'd lose my recordings.

I'm only on 100/10 here, but it routinely benches to 140/14.5, so that's pretty good.

@Sunfox

The reason I said the Nextboxes are a joke is because of the disaster called Navigatr, which has not been rolled out to everyone yet. I actually had a Nextbox 3 when they first came out and I thought it was perfectly OK. I rented it and eventually returned it because it constantly had audio dropouts and no one at Rogers could fix it. I have an 11+ year old SA8300HD PVR and it has never dropped audio.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

^All set up. The technician is taking a bit of time due to the new boxes being released & still getting used to it. Sadly after the call to troubleshoot the box channel 999 stopped showing video but has audio.Its a known issue which a ticket has brought up. The box looks great!. Here are some specs as well. Btw look at the remote we get. Backlight as well!

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

1d99f463-1398-4bea-b655-b6fe4933b5af.jpg

IMG_0149.JPG