Rogers TV install

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers TV install

So I have a few issues here, maybe someone can shed some light on.  I'll keep it simple.

1.  We just moved.  When I called in I created a work order to have our internet/cable tv moved and installed.  I also cancelled my existing phone line, and was told to bring the phone box for the tech to pickup.

2.  When the tech arrived he was going to install phone, and clearly he was not given proper instructions, and he would not take our phone box. (whatever not a big deal)

3.  It's a new house, and coax is not in one of our bedrooms.  Just the master,  so he was only able to install the cable on the main floor living room (netbox) and in the master.  So were stuck with a digital adapter and no cable in a room that is occupied and we need it.  We were told they do not fish or add coax jacks.  Now this struck a nerve because a year ago I had a rogers tech come install coax and I myself helped him drill a hole in my closet upstairs and helped him fish the coax to the basement switch.  Ive been with rogers 20 years and have always had rogers fish wires and drill holes.  Now Im paying for a service and they wont do this anymore???  I called some local electric guys and they want an arm and a leg for this, this is unacceptable.

4.  The netbox that was installed in the living room doesnt even work, it says PEND and was working totally fine the previous day at the old house, the tech said too bad its a dead box and pretty much just left us without options.  So i called in and arranged for another tech to come tomorrow.  Who knows what the heck hes going to do, but were going on a week now with no tv.  And we own the current netbox that i negotiated a year ago when i was going to cancel due to poor service.  Now all of a sudden we move and the box doesnt work anymore? (did rogers fry it?) knowing that well need to rent another box in order to get cable (and thus line their pocket again with rental fees?) This is not sitting well with me, and im not sure whats going on here, but if the tech cant give us cable tomorrow, I'll be cancelling rogers and going with another provider for sure.  This is totally unprofessional way to handle clients of over 20 years. I've spent a lot of money with rogers and to do deal with this headache and having to be home for 2 technicians and still not have services we pay for is completely unacceptable.

Re: Rogers TV install

Good morning @Blazzay!

Welcome to our Community!

I am sorry to hear that this install did not go smoothly. Ideally, we always want to get it right on the first install attempt but sometimes we do have to send a followup tech.

PEND does not necessarily mean the box is fried, though that is a possibility here. It could indicate a signal issue. If there is a signal issue present, the tech today should absolutely be able to resolve this.

As far as fishing goes, we do not officially offer it as a service. Our techs may be able to drill from the outside and run along the outside walls in some situations but we don't offer wire management to keep it tidy. If we bring a new cable into the home after drilling in from the outside, we typically run it along the baseboards to the desired location. If you want it run through the walls where the cable can't be seen and a brand new outlet installed, a contractor experienced in fishing is the best person for this job.

Fishing can sometimes be a long and complicated ordeal which is not without its dangers. If we drill through a floor and your house is designed with fire compartmentation in mind, we may be putting your safety at risk by damaging the integrity of the home. If we knick a wire or pipe, damage could occur that is not within our techs skillsets to resolve.

If you have any further questions or concerns regarding your Rogers services, please don't hesitate to PM us @CommunityHelps. If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds like it was partially a bad/lazy rogers tech.

It is possible during the move, that the box failed, etc.

But as mentioned.. it sounds like the tech maybe didn't CHECK The signal levels at all the endpoint locations.
With bad signals, the box wont boot.

As for the wiring... I have been with rogers since with my parrents, since the 80s and now myself since living on my own.  
And in all that time, have NEVER had a tech do any wiring.  Any time I have asked, the techs have said outright NO or like mentioned above, only do the most basic (along baseboards, outside and in through that way). 

None of the companies will do this.  Bell wont run phone lines, etc.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

3. It's the homeowner's responsibility to have coax run to the various locations where cable is desired.  Sometimes a tech may run some cable to another location if it's not too much work and he's not pressed for time.

4. PEnd usually indicates a poor signal to the home/neighbourhood or box.  The new tech should be able to check the signal in your home and neighbourhood. You can also call Rogers and have them check the signal remotely, or check it yourself (if you can get one box in the home to boot). See the following post on the topic of signal. It's rarely a problem with the box itself.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

I've Been Here Awhile

I understand but the last rogers install I had I literally helped the guy drill and fish from my basement through The walls to an upstairs bedroom. Lol. Was my lucky day perhaps
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Blazzay

That's because the tech was nice enough to do it for you. Most techs have a certain time frame they need to finish work before going to another call.

I had a amazing tech which was scheduled all day to rewire my whole home 2 weeks ago which was able to do what you described. He asked me where I wanted all the wires to come from and each room had its own wire that came from outside.

Unfortunately for this you need to have a tech come over and check all your lines and conclude that they need to rewire everything lol.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @RogersCorey

Question ( or anyone that can help). My parents whole house was rewired inside and out 2 weeks ago. Tech came and took 7-8hrs to do so. Amazing tech btw

My Nextbox 3 is stuck on PEND on one of the rooms. HOWEVER before that I plugged it into the basement (my room) and it took 8hrs but finally worked. Putting it into the other room it got stuck on PEND. YET a older 8300 PVR and 4K box boots up Perfectly fine.

I doubt this is a " signal" issue to be honest as new lines came in and one older box and newer box boot up.

So my question. Is the box done for or can something happen? Once it does the PEND happens, it started happening in all the rooms.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Meowmix : The 9865 requires more signal than other boxes.  I think it's a signal issue.  It's rarely the box.  See the link in my previous post.